Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off I'd like to appologize if this topic has already been taken care of. I have spent some time trying to see if there has ever been a firm fix for this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The vehicle is a 2003 Santa Fe AWD V6 2.7L (auto). The issue that is being experienced is conveniently random at times with no code feedback, so if I take it to the dealership -- They'll test drive, take my money and say they can't find anything. I am hoping someone is an expert on this issue on these forums! :)

While driving, sometimes just as the vehicle is shifting gears the steering wheel will jerk to one side or the other. I am not talking like a violent jerk that will send me into oncoming traffic. It's a sudden and very noticeable (uncomfortable, uneasy feeling) as if a magic ghost as tried to turn the steering wheel for me. Now this only happens (so it seems) just as the vehicle is switching gears. It would only happen on one gear during acceleration from stop. And simply just once it will do it. I remember I was going around a corner, up a hill (overpass) and it shifted as I was going around. The minute it shifted it totally jerked the steering wheel. It's almost like it's something to do with the drivetrain. Unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.

I don't know how else to explain it, but from my research it seems like we haven't been the only people to experience this with this AWD vehicle. Websites lead to crank sensor, but I am not so sure ?

Can anyone help/provide insight?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Ok, first off I'd like to appologize if this topic has already been taken care of. I have spent some time trying to see if there has ever been a firm fix for this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The vehicle is a 2003 Santa Fe AWD V6 2.7L (auto). The issue that is being experienced is conveniently random at times with no code feedback, so if I take it to the dealership -- They'll test drive, take my money and say they can't find anything. I am hoping someone is an expert on this issue on these forums! :)

While driving, sometimes just as the vehicle is shifting gears the steering wheel will jerk to one side or the other. I am not talking like a violent jerk that will send me into oncoming traffic. It's a sudden and very noticeable (uncomfortable, uneasy feeling) as if a magic ghost as tried to turn the steering wheel for me. Now this only happens (so it seems) just as the vehicle is switching gears. It would only happen on one gear during acceleration from stop. And simply just once it will do it. I remember I was going around a corner, up a hill (overpass) and it shifted as I was going around. The minute it shifted it totally jerked the steering wheel. It's almost like it's something to do with the drivetrain. Unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time.

I don't know how else to explain it, but from my research it seems like we haven't been the only people to experience this with this AWD vehicle. Websites lead to crank sensor, but I am not so sure ?

Can anyone help/provide insight?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
If it is the CPS(crankshaft position sensor), it will feel like the car is momentarily shutting off and then restarting- all happening within a fraction of a second. It will definitely feel like a jerk of the drive train. If you haven't replaced your CPS yet, just do it. More than likely the wires just outside the sensor have the outer-covering gone- and the insulation on the three wires crumbled away. What is happening is the wires will very intermittently short out. If you wait long enough they could short a fuse and you will be stranded. Sensor only costs around $75 from dealer and will be the best preventative maintenance you have ever done on your car. And yes- this will not throw a code till it is so bad the car won't start. What's really frustrating is that your dealer(and mine when it happened to me) don't look at the CPS's wiring. Wouldn't take more than a second or two on a rack.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it is the CPS(crankshaft position sensor), it will feel like the car is momentarily shutting off and then restarting- all happening within a fraction of a second. It will definitely feel like a jerk of the drive train. If you haven't replaced your CPS yet, just do it. More than likely the wires just outside the sensor have the outer-covering gone- and the insulation on the three wires crumbled away. What is happening is the wires will very intermittently short out. If you wait long enough they could short a fuse and you will be stranded. Sensor only costs around $75 from dealer and will be the best preventative maintenance you have ever done on your car. And yes- this will not throw a code till it is so bad the car won't start. What's really frustrating is that your dealer(and mine when it happened to me) don't look at the CPS's wiring. Wouldn't take more than a second or two on a rack.
I second taking care of the CPS... considering the 2.7 is very easy to take care of, you should try that first (and from what you say, it is the cause of the problem.) before having to "hand over" money to the dealer to tell you "nothing is wrong."

I'm probably going to replace mine just for the heck of it within the next month.
Hyundai Part # 39180-37200
SENSOR - CRANKSHAFT POSITION. Hyundai # 3918037150, 39180-37200
And here is a picture of its location: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1288174-post6.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are awesome. I'll definitely give that a shot. Not only did you give me a link to the picture, but the part number too. THANKS!

Please tell me I don't have to remove the manifold to get at it.. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
543 Posts
You guys are awesome. I'll definitely give that a shot. Not only did you give me a link to the picture, but the part number too. THANKS!

Please tell me I don't have to remove the manifold to get at it.. *crosses fingers*
Not at all! But that picture actually shows its location on the block... instead of the diagram on Jim Ellis' website. I figure it will help when you're searching for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just made my day.

Thanks for the help, and I'll report back if it appears to have resolved the issue. I know there is no guarantee but it seems to be a common issue. You at least made my day ... For now! I was just about to post "can someone show me a picture of what I am looking for?". And I see you posted that! haha

Cannot thank you enough!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You just made my day.

Thanks for the help, and I'll report back if it appears to have resolved the issue. I know there is no guarantee but it seems to be a common issue. You at least made my day ... For now! I was just about to post "can someone show me a picture of what I am looking for?". And I see you posted that! haha

Cannot thank you enough!
Here is a little DIY I will do by memory(from two years ago).

1. Pull off skid plate
2. Pull off starter shield by rotating 90 degrees and pulling
towards drivers side.
3. Sight along side oil filter and look above starter and you can see
CPS.
4. Get a 1/4 inch drive set and use the narrowest sidewall 10MM
socket you can find.(3/8 inch won't work)
5. Get a lot of light on it. You can reach it from a couple angles but
none or them work well. Some people have reported that their
sensor broke off and wished they had removed starter.
6. Only the one 10MM bolt holding it in-have fun getting to it.
7. Watchout when you remove the retaining clip on the connector-
mine went flying and took a while to find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that brief tutorial. Worked like a charm. Especially the retaining clip. If you hadn't told me about that, I would've been lost trying to figure out how to disconnect the **** thing! haha.

I appreciate that. Now I wait to see if the issue comes back.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Thank you for that brief tutorial. Worked like a charm. Especially the retaining clip. If you hadn't told me about that, I would've been lost trying to figure out how to disconnect the **** thing! haha.

I appreciate that. Now I wait to see if the issue comes back.
Well, did you see deteriorated wiring outside the CPS? I would be surprised if you didn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts