Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with the Continental PureContact/EcoPlus tire as a replacement for the OE ones on the Sonata Limited? I was checking Tire Rack and this tire seems to pretty high on their list of replacements....smooth ride and good tread wear.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Anyone had any experience with the Continental PureContact/EcoPlus tire as a replacement for the OE ones on the Sonata Limited? I was checking Tire Rack and this tire seems to pretty high on their list of replacements....smooth ride and good tread wear.
I had Contis years ago and they were the best wearing tires I've ever owned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Never had EcoPlus. Did drive "Touring Contact AS" and they were really bad. They did last forever but no grip at all. With little rain or temps below 60F (15c) useless.

EcoPlus's have decent reviews. However, in the same price range (+/- $10) I would consider ExtremeContact DWS

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I have ContiProContact on my Fusion (OEM tire) and they are not to bad at all. No winter driving so no idea how it works there.

For the Sonata I am going to replace the junky OEM tires with ExtremeContact DWS. They are written up well and my brother has a full year on them and highly recommended them for inclement weather driving.

My last experience with an "Eco" tire left me way less than impressed with low rolling resistance tires. Granted this was two years ago and things have changed but I didn't see the traction trade off as worth while. Tires felt "greasy".

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Conti Extreme Contacts (DWS) on my Sonata for our 8 months of the year rainy (with some snow) season and they work fantastic.
I also use them on my vette with great success. Lots o grip in the rain & snow.
Not made however for road temps > 80 degrees. So you may want to consider two set of wheels like I do with all my cars.

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Tire preference, like which plugs, oil, wax, or even blonde, brunette, or red head, do people prefer.

General Tire (if I'm not mistaken) is made by Continental.

Check out the video. Personally, I learned a few things.

GENERAL TIRE® G-MAX AS-03 Tires | All Season Performance Tire for Cars

I replaced my OEM's at 45K and these were a great improvement. Got the 234/45/R18W's to keep the size, rpm's close to the OEM's.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Tire preference, like which plugs, oil, wax, or even blonde, brunette, or red head, do people prefer.

I replaced my OEM's at 45K and these were a great improvement. Got the 234/45/R18W's to keep the size, rpm's close to the OEM's.
Cool looking tread design there. Blondes by the way on the other subject;)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds on mine (w/ Limited wheels) and I have no complaints, they're very quiet. At the time Goodyear was offering a $80 rebate through Tire Rack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How many miles did you get on the original tires ?
I just turned 10,000 on my 2012 Sonata and so far okay just a little noisy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am at 30,000 on OEM tires and still plenty of tread. They are Kumhos. I was just looking for a little smoother ride when I make the change.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I REALLY can't stand the road noise from the OEM tires. But then again, my last car was a Gran Marquis and yes that did spoil me a bit. I do enjoy just about every thing eles about my Sonata.
I'm looking at the Bridgestone Portenza (sp ?) Because of their claim to be one of the quietest on the market.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have a set of Continental Pure Contact's on my '12 GLS. I drive 90% highway. The OEM Kumho's were DONE at 22K!! I never saw tires wear so fast. I have 20,000 on my Conti's, and I could not be happier with them. They are super smooth, quiet, and grip well in wet and dry conditions. I don't use them in snow, I have Blizzaks for that.

When I was looking for tires, it was between Conti and Michelin. I know Michelin's are top tires, but I think there's some "paying for the name" in there too. No matter, it will be the Pure Contacts for as long as I own this car.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Nice looking tire but what is the road noise like, maybe I should ask in a few years. I had GY TripleTreds on a Camry with a similar tread pattern, after 2 years and 30,000 miles I had to remove the tires because the road noise drove me nuts. Nice performing tire, especially in rain but horridly noisy.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
+1 on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. However, two cons for all of the pros on these tires.

1. OMG they are expensive!! They range $180 - $200 PER TIRE. The lowest I have seen them on sale is $170. Also, don't plan on them being in stock since the Sonata/Optima 18" tire size is unique to our cars. 17 inch cars are probably OK, don't know if they come in the 16 inch size but I would guess they do.

2. They will last ~45,000 miles. After that, you are going to go deaf from the road noise. Seriously, they will howl once the tread gets down and you will notice it.

With that said, they are the best all season tire you can get (esp for an 18 in wheel). Grip is superior and the look sweet.

I have had experience with the ProContacts on my old Fusion and they suck majorly. The Eco tires I have heard good things about but being an LRR compound, they probably wear fast and ride hard.

Currently have Michelin Primacy MXM4's and they are pretty good. Found them "on sale" for 141/tire with 100 rebate.

And agreed with all---Hyundai stock tires are junk and borderline unsafe! Mine were removed around 30K and I never looked back!! We all know why they use Hankook and Kumho...and it ain't because of their sterling reputations. Probably a proximity thing if y'all get my drift.

·
Read Only
538 Posts
2.0 터보;1329401 said:
Nice looking tire but what is the road noise like, maybe I should ask in a few years. I had GY TripleTreds on a Camry with a similar tread pattern, after 2 years and 30,000 miles I had to remove the tires because the road noise drove me nuts. Nice performing tire, especially in rain but horridly noisy.
Two years old in September and 45565 on the odometer.
Shouldn't be too long. I'll post results in 18 mos. "Same bat time, same bat channel."

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is of interest to me. My OEMs have 12k. They are not as nice as my old Camry's hydro edge tires. I figure I'll replace them within the next year, but my choice is limited for my tire size between the Conti Eco plus and the GY fuel max at the place I want to get my tires. They also said, though, that I could get defenders, but that the size would be a little off.

What are your thoughts on these options?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well I just thought I'd post back. The Continental Pure Contact's on my '12 GLS are DONE at 39,000 miles, down to the wear bars. I really expected to get more miles out tires with a UTQG rating of 700. I rotated them every 5,000 miles and they wore evenly with no issues. 90% highway driving. Ride and comfort were fine. I just wish they lasted a little longer. Just thought I'd post back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
currently running purecontacts on 2011 sonata, they have been great. grip well in light snow, rain, and normal conditions. OEM Hankook tires had no grip whatsoever in rain or snow, they were junk. have put 15000 mile on purecontacts very little wear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+2 on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. 225/45/18 - I had two sets of those over 84k miles through the Colorado winters and never had an issue. Absolutely loved those tires but yes they are EXPENSIVE and usually have to wait to get them or call around all over town to find a place that has them in stock.

As for the PureContacts/Ecoplus - that was my second choice. Also a very highly rated and successfull tire. I ultimately decided on the Extreme because well .. if it's not broke don't fix it ..

Friend of mine put a set of PureContacts/Ecoplus on an Audi after his ExtremeContacts finally wore out and he said while the Pure's are still a very decent tire he still prefers the Extreme's.

Considering how crappy the stock tires are - you really can't go wrong with any well rated tire. PureContact/Ecopuls will be a major improvement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
+2 on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. 225/45/18 - I had two sets of those over 84k miles through the Colorado winters and never had an issue. Absolutely loved those tires but yes they are EXPENSIVE and usually have to wait to get them or call around all over town to find a place that has them in stock.
+3 on the ExtremeContact DMS, the price and limited stock. I had to drive a couple hours to find a set in stock, but it was well worth it. On the first long sweeping high speed turn, my eyes popped out. Wow!!! These things do not disappoint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts