Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Santa Fe 2WD 4cyl 2.4L stick shift.

In mid-May, my air conditioning gradually got weaker and finally stopped working. Mechanics installed a new expansion valve. By July 19, the air conditioning had gotten weaker and almost stopped working again.

The mechanics replaced the expansion valve, at no cost. They also installed a cabin filter (apparently the former owners never had one).

When I got in the car, the air conditioning was extremely cold. I have driven it only twice since it was fixed last Friday, and it again feels as if it is getting weaker.

I wonder if there might be another cause.

Thanks for any ideas,

Nellie

·
Registered
843 Posts
My 5 cents, there also is a thermostat reading the temperature, when going bad, the AC works fine but only does what your thermostat says.
So maybe your problem is electrical.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Expansion valve is rare item.. but can happen, verify it looking at gauge values and touch test line. Biggest offender to valve problem is system that had compressor grenade itself over time, trash just goes and it never ending problems after that, unless you just up and replace entire system with fresh-clean -new in box parts.

Loss of R-134 is seen at evaporator core a lot on SM chassis, the 2.7 compressors will leak at o-ring where body halves is put together, road debris damage to condenser, and once in great while,,, hi or lo line that come forward of expansion valve along fender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Expansion valve is rare item.. but can happen, verify it looking at gauge values and touch test line. Biggest offender to valve problem is system that had compressor grenade itself over time, trash just goes and it never ending problems after that, unless you just up and replace entire system with fresh-clean -new in box parts.

Loss of R-134 is seen at evaporator core a lot on SM chassis, the 2.7 compressors will leak at o-ring where body halves is put together, road debris damage to condenser, and once in great while,,, hi or lo line that come forward of expansion valve along fender.

I agree, have them check the pressure in your AC system to check if it is leaking. Do a manual inspection of the rubber hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts