Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been super busy over the past week and have not washed the car. It has rained a few times and this morning I noticed the bottom of my chrome exhaust tips are pretty much covered in black exhaust type soot. If I did not know better I would say the car is running way to rich. Has anybody else noticed this>?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My old car had that...it was a turbo direct injection. I couldn't really do much about it though. Intake and an ECU tuner seemed to have helped a little...

I haven't really looked at my Sonanta for the same thing though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ May 4 2010, 11:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319665
I have been super busy over the past week and have not washed the car. It has rained a few times and this morning I noticed the bottom of my chrome exhaust tips are pretty much covered in black exhaust type soot. If I did not know better I would say the car is running way to rich. Has anybody else noticed this>?
That is the same soot associated with GDI engines that some of us are concerned about accumulating on the back of the intake valves.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t46814-24-gdi-engine.htm

Out of curiosity, are you using a top tier gas?

Edit: PS Has anyone heard back from Hyundai USA on the intake valve deposit issue?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 5 2010, 06:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319732
That is the same soot associated with GDI engines that some of us are concerned about accumulating on the back of the intake valves.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t46814-24-gdi-engine.htm

Out of curiosity, are you using a top tier gas?

Edit: PS Has anyone heard back from Hyundai USA on the intake valve deposit issue?
I am a truck driver, and in my past I delivered gas. Tell me, what do you consider top tier gas?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 5 2010, 07:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319747
Here is a list of gas retailers that complies

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
I am not going to get into a debate over this, everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but I have filled my tank and just about any brand you can think of has been in line behind me. Every brand does not have their own regonal refinery to fill their stations with, it all pretty much comes from the same sourvce by region.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ May 5 2010, 07:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319748
I am not going to get into a debate over this, everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but I have filled my tank and just about any brand you can think of has been in line behind me. Every brand does not have their own regonal refinery to fill their stations with, it all pretty much comes from the same sourvce by region.
My understanding is that the various brands add different quality additives and different concentrations there off, even though the base product is sourced from the same refinery.

Here is an explanation from the Top tier site

"Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness."

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ May 5 2010, 06:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319748
I agree. I live in the far south suburbs of Chicago, about 8 miles from the Illinois/Indiana border and a huge percentage of gas in my region all comes from the Whiting refinery. Different companies may add different additives to their gas, but the actual product is the same.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My previous car was a BMW as was my freinds and we both had the same problem. The best thing to use is a green scowering pad, It takes it right off. Just be sure to wipe it in a circular motion following the contour of the pipe so the scuff marks align with the tip and it will look just fine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 5 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319809
My previous car was a BMW as was my freinds and we both had the same problem. The best thing to use is a green scowering pad, It takes it right off. Just be sure to wipe it in a circular motion following the contour of the pipe so the scuff marks align with the tip and it will look just fine.
I wonder if burnishing compound or a metal polish will not be less risky of leaving scuff marks? I will try that on the Tucson and post the results

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ May 5 2010, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319793
I agree. I live in the far south suburbs of Chicago, about 8 miles from the Illinois/Indiana border and a huge percentage of gas in my region all comes from the Whiting refinery. Different companies may add different additives to their gas, but the actual product is the same.
Here is a good article on the issue written by an expert in the field. I will just change "good quality" or "major brand" in his suggested solution with "top tier"

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ May 5 2010, 09:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319793

FYI- I live in California where we're supposed to have the cleanest burning fuels so I'd have to say that quality of the gas is not likely to be the issue. I think it's just normal.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 5 2010, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319824
FYI- I live in California where we're supposed to have the cleanest burning fuels so I'd have to say that quality of the gas is not likely to be the issue. I think it's just normal.
Since the Californian emission laws are about greenhouse gasses, I have seen a comment specifically about GDI engines that are creating a combustion by-product (something that deposits on surfaces and not remaining airborne) that may be slipping through under the Californian regulations. That is where the Top Tier gas additive requirements are filling the gap since it specifically targets reducing engine deposits.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 5 2010, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319821
Here is a good article on the issue written by an expert in the field. I will just change "good quality" or "major brand" in his suggested solution with "top tier"

The "Insider's trick on gasoline additives" is interesting, and I've never heard this suggested before. He's basically suggesting that nothing will work as well as switching between brands of gasoline every 5000 miles. Supposedly, the different additives will attack and remove each other's deposits. :huh:

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 5 2010, 06:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319953
The "Insider's trick on gasoline additives" is interesting, and I've never heard this suggested before. He's basically suggesting that nothing will work as well as switching between brands of gasoline every 5000 miles. Supposedly, the different additives will attack and remove each other's deposits. :huh:
Yup, this is my understanding too. Fortunately we have three top tier gasoline retailers in Canada between which I could switch, just a few years ago we had only Shell.

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 5 2010, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319821

Interesting article, I might try switching brands every 5000 miles. Currently I just use Shell gas. Unfortunately there are no other top tier companies in the area so I will switch with Valero. I'm curious why Exxon and Valero are not considered top tier....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.