Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and have found lots of great advice so far, but I have a strange problem I have not seen here even using the search function. About two months ago I bought my 2006 Santa Fe GLS, 2.7 V6, and I love it. About two weeks ago I began getting an exhaust smell in the cabin when the windows are closed and the A/C is on. I cannot find any leaks in the exhaust system and do not smell it outside the car.

Is there anywhere it might leak that could be causing the A/C system to pull it into the car? Or are there any other common places that may allow the smell to come inside?

I have made sure the A/C switch is set to recirculate and this does not seem to make a difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your car is drawing in exhaust from car(s) in front of you via the fresh air inlet at base of windshield, or your HVAC filter is full of stuff, combined with your car' interioir scents..

Are you sure the evaporator is not starting to slowly leak R-134 and PAG oil ?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the Cabin Air Filter a few days ago and it does not seem to be making a difference. I even vaccumed out the inside of the filter housing, but there was not much in there. Should it still pull in outside air even with the switch set for recirc.?

As for the possibility of a R-134 leak, I did not even think about that and will have to look into it. I know the A/C is still ice cold though.

I was wondering if it is possible for exhaust to come in around the shifter or parking brake handle, or if there could be a gromet around the steering column that is missing, but I do not feel any drafts around them.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Exhaust gas coming through the air vents can only mean one thing. You have an exhaust leak under the hood, and the aerodynamics of the car run the gas right into the fresh air intake vents. It's either that, or a leak in firewall someplace.

Had a similar problem years ago, never did find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like an idiot, but I figured out what the smell was... My Wifes New Steering Wheel Cover...
She had picked up one of those super soft covers from Target and the spongy type material in it releases an odor that smells like exhaust. When I finally figured it out I was so annoyed I took it off and threw it out the window. She had a good laugh at me though, and made me get her a new leather one instead.
Looking at it afterwards, it was really worth a good laugh!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 29 2010, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352803
Your car is drawing in exhaust from car(s) in front of you via the fresh air inlet at base of windshield, or your HVAC filter is full of stuff, combined with your car' interioir scents..

Had 1 complain about odor from HVAC... car reeeeeked of po-per-eeeee (dont know how to spell it), add a couple pine trees of varying colors, and some other scents bombs, any wonder the HVAC smelled..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts