Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing sections of my exhaust. However having looked it over I see that the bolts are actually part of the flange, as opposed to my other car where they were unattached and could be replaced with new bolts. My concern is with ten+ years of rust can one actually replace one section or is it neccesary to replace the whole system ?
For example, if I were to replace the Flex pipe section which entails - flange, flex pipe, cat, flange - is it possible to reuse the existing bolts on the adjoining part ? And how do you got about disconnecting these parts without destroying the bolts ? Can these bolts even be used again ? Will they thread with a new nut ?

Thanks....

·
Registered
45 Posts
im assuming you are referring to a v6 engine? If so you should be able to get them off just make sure you use the correct sized socket don't wanna strip em out. spray em down with some wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak overnight is the best but you can way say 30min to an hour. I just recently removed the rear section of my exaust just after the 3rd cat the bolts honestly gave me no issues they came off supprisingly easy and I reninstalled them no issues. and I don't see why they wouldent thread on a new nut should be fine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im assuming you are referring to a v6 engine? If so you should be able to get them off just make sure you use the correct sized socket don't wanna strip em out. spray em down with some wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak overnight is the best but you can way say 30min to an hour. I just recently removed the rear section of my exaust just after the 3rd cat the bolts honestly gave me no issues they came off supprisingly easy and I reninstalled them no issues. and I don't see why they wouldent thread on a new nut should be fine

No, it's the 2.4L 4Cyl auto. My concern is the bolts seem to be badly rusted and I'm not sure if they will a) break off if I attempt to remove the nut and, b) if they will thread properly when I reattach a new nut to them.
How old were your parts you removed and how badly rusted were they. The Sonata is an '05 and the exhaust is the original. Add NY winters to the mix.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, it's the 2.4L 4Cyl auto. My concern is the bolts seem to be badly rusted and I'm not sure if they will a) break off if I attempt to remove the nut and, b) if they will thread properly when I reattach a new nut to them.
How old were your parts you removed and how badly rusted were they. The Sonata is an '05 and the exhaust is the original. Add NY winters to the mix.
NY winter brine ouch, well as Grcauto has stated above would be your best course of action if they break. also I was fortunate enough for mine to live most of its life in central north Carolina and so I have only surface rust and my car was built September 9th of 2002 a very large portion of the parts on it are original with just over 168k miles. like if said before and more so because your in new York lots of pb blaster and if you have a propane blow torch wack with a small hammer on the bolt to bust any grit up then head that sucker up and get yourself a breaker bar and go to work. once Its off assuming you got them off without snaping take a wire brush and just clean up the threads and inspect the nut look for cracking pitting and damage during removal light wear at the edges is not too big a deal but strong visutal damage definatly replace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I thought as much but not being a mechanic I wanted to get some advice from those who know better than I. Drilling it out sounds like my only choice, though I wish they hadn't attached the bolt to the piece. It would be much easier to remove the bolts and replace with new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts