Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I am currently looking into an exhaust system. I have already ordered two mufflers from Hooker Headers. The question I have is what would be a good pipe diameter for the 2.4 Sonata LF? 2 1/2? 3? I know the higher the diameter pipes are usually for higher HP engines but I want my sonata to have a deep tone with as little rice as possible. I am more concerned with sound than performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ive always gone +.5" over stock on most of my customs exhausts. But other factors come into play. Its still a n/a 4 cyl. But it is a 2.4L, technically a big 4cyl. Look at what after market catbacks are out there and copy their size, ive done that too

·
Registered
93 Posts
You'll be fine with a 2.5", no need for 3" in my opinion.
Totally agree.... Unless anyone is running like a 500+ hp 2JZ or LS, there's no need of an exhaust diameter larger than 2.5".... Larger diameter doesn't mean more power, it needs to be balanced.... On the contrary, by putting a 3" piping for a Sonata with 2.0T or 2.4NA 4-cylinder engine with simple bolt-ons, most likely the car will end up losing power....

I personally have 2.5" custom Borla Cat-back on my 2.4 LF Sonata, and it is more than adequate....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're going custom, look at 2.5" into twin 2.0" or 2.25" rear sections to maintain the flow and not sound too droney. That's what I'll be doing.

Reactions: KimchiRocket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Totally agree.... Unless anyone is running like a 500+ hp 2JZ or LS, there's no need of an exhaust diameter larger than 2.5".... Larger diameter doesn't mean more power, it needs to be balanced.... On the contrary, by putting a 3" piping for a Sonata with 2.0T or 2.4NA 4-cylinder engine with simple bolt-ons, most likely the car will end up losing power....

I personally have 2.5" custom Borla Cat-back on my 2.4 LF Sonata, and it is more than adequate....
Where did you find this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts