Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input. I recently purchased an Elantra Limited ( 2013 ) with 17 inch Hankook tires. They are VERY noisy and I can't get either Hyundai / the dealership or Hankook to help me with this. Is this common? What can be done?

·
22,793 Posts
In a word, Willie? Probably nothing. You have effectively described the OEM tires in a nutshell. And its not just Hyundai. Most OEM tires are cheap entry level tires that look good, and designed to get you off the dealer's lot without blowing up or throwing a tread before you pull out onto a public street. Once that happens, you own them! And the car.

You might check those air pressures. Not uncommon for the factory to air up past 40 psi and the lazy PDI guys at "some," not all, dealerships to fail to check it. 32 is the recommended pressure on your door sticker. I ran 34-35 in my ContiPro's. It helped a little. Same old OEM entry-level garbage, however. Different name. Had a 2011 Elantra, same tires, same annoying racket.

Finally let mine go to the tire graveyard after 31,300. Had about 4/32nd's tread left and I honestly don't think I could've tolerated them for 1/32nd's further. Thrilled to part ways and say goodbye to them. More like "Good riddance!" Ecstatic might be more appropriate.

You can try to talk to a tire store in your area that carries that brand, as well as other brands. Maybe he'll let you upgrade and take yours in on trade since they are new with nearly zero miles. Or, live with it like many of us do/did.

But when you upgrade to better rubber? You will not believe the difference in ride comfort, noise abatement, and better handling. At least that was my experience.

Let us know what you decide upon. And welcome to the family.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Buy new tires. That's about all you can do.

Sorry.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
How is the handling, especially over small bumps, etc?

I'm going to throw in something else that's been on my mind lately with these Elantras; alignment.

I know its a new car, but see if they will do an alignment check. Even if they say its "in spec," get a copy of the results and post them in here.

Some folks are reporting that even though the rear is in spec, Hyundai's specs are absolutely garbage. After getting the rear shimmed (and the front corrected), handling and noise issues are improved.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a GLS with 16 in Hankooks. The first time I got on the freeway for my drive to work I thought I had a small airplane flying right above me. I even opened the window to look up. Sure enough there was no airplane, it was the Hankooks. I think around 5-6k miles the tires broke in and quiet down considerably. They are still not as quiet as a good quality tire but they are not annoyingly noisy either.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
17 inch Hankook tires. They are VERY noisy.... What can be done?
Coming from very small cars, I still find the Hankooks noisy, but it doesn't bother me as much as others. In our state, some of the new experimental "quiet" pavements are a joy to drive on. The road & tire noise must be at least 3 times less(4?), & hearing the radio is like it is new! The new "quiet" pavements have real problems lasting very long, tho. The experiments continue. If they can finally arrive at a "quiet" pavement with long life, it will be a near revolutionary time for small cars.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Coming from very small cars, I still find the Hankooks noisy, but it doesn't bother me as much as others. In our state, some of the new experimental "quiet" pavements are a joy to drive on. The road & tire noise must be at least 3 times less(4?), & hearing the radio is like it is new! The new "quiet" pavements have real problems lasting very long, tho. The experiments continue. If they can finally arrive at a "quiet" pavement with long life, it will be a near revolutionary time for small cars.
Wow, quiet pavements? Where exactly is that? Down here all our road surfaces are more like "scream it like you mean it." Tire noise might be somewhat improved with a better tire I guess, but these are too new to toss - ugh, only 8500 miles and showing very little wear.

·
22,793 Posts
We have some of those new asphalt pavements. Man, they're smooth. For a little while. But, like everything else exposed to the elements, Mother Nature takes a turn.

I get a tad bit better gas mileage on concrete because there's not as much rolling resistance versus asphalt. But I would gladly sacrifice MPG's for "smooth and ultra-quiet." At least, now, I can hear the wind noise outside and the engine purring with these new tires. That's new! AND welcomed!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
We have some of those new asphalt pavements. Man, they're smooth. For a little while. But, like everything else exposed to the elements, Mother Nature takes a turn.

I get a tad bit better gas mileage on concrete because there's not as much rolling resistance versus asphalt. But I would gladly sacrifice MPG's for "smooth and ultra-quiet." At least, now, I can hear the wind noise outside and the engine purring with these new tires. That's new! AND welcomed!
Guess I missed that post. What tires did you go with?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Wow, quiet pavements? Where exactly is that? Down here all our road surfaces are more like "scream it like you mean it." Tire noise might be somewhat improved with a better tire I guess, but these are too new to toss - ugh, only 8500 miles and showing very little wear.
Sir please come to Oregon where dingdongs drive around with studded tires on from November to April every year. Our asphalt roads are smooth and quiet for the first few months but once stud season hits, their fate is sealed and with a year or two, they have nice deep ruts where water pools during rain and causes hydroplaning. Average road surface lifetime here is six to eight years for asphalt and only 15 years for concrete, half the national average where studs are not allowed.

·
22,793 Posts
Guess I missed that post. What tires did you go with?
Went with the 215/50R/17's. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, 75K. Had I been able to get the Pirelli P7's for the price, I would have jumped all over those. Those were my final two choices. It was a 5AM Black Friday sale at our tire store. OTD, after sales/rebates/taxes (!!!), etc.: $568 from the original $808, Included nitrogen, lifetime road hazard, and 1 year alignment. Lifetime balance/rotations. Free flat repair is a community service offered at this store, regardless of where you bought your tires. Did I mention complimentary lap dance, too? :wink2:

I took a hit on the MPG's, I believe, giving up those 45R profiles for the 50R's. About 1-2 MPG's per gallon, thus far. I have seen a slight improvement there since Thanksgiving weekend. I wasn't too fond of laying out that amount of money for "just tires," but what's a guy to do? (I miss those cheap 175/70R/13's that were on the CRX.) Winter was coming, the OEM's had 31+K and 3 to 4/32nds wear left. The fact that these Serenity's are quiet and ultra-smooth makes it worth it, to me. I can capture those lost MPG's by just slowing down a few MPH. And with time, who knows? Once I get the "new" worn off them.

As far as I'm concerned, they paid for themselves in this recent snow/ice storm we had a week ago. Handling is great, responsive, and quiet!! Did I mention "QUIET?" I have never pushed Ingrid in corners or turns, so I'm not a reliable source to give an opinion on their performance under those conditions. But they certainly fill the bill for this old guy's driving habits. No complaints, thus far. Overall, I think I got this one right. Not too often do I get that feeling, but sometimes.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Went with the 215/50R/17's. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, 75K. Had I been able to get the Pirelli P7's for the price, I would have jumped all over those. Those were my final two choices. It was a 5AM Black Friday sale at our tire store. OTD, after sales/rebates/taxes (!!!), etc.: $568 from the original $808, Included nitrogen, lifetime road hazard, and 1 year alignment. Lifetime balance/rotations. Free flat repair is a community service offered at this store, regardless of where you bought your tires. Did I mention complimentary lap dance, too? :wink2:

I took a hit on the MPG's, I believe, giving up those 45R profiles for the 50R's. About 1-2 MPG's per gallon, thus far. I have seen a slight improvement there since Thanksgiving weekend. I wasn't too fond of laying out that amount of money for "just tires," but what's a guy to do? (I miss those cheap 175/70R/13's that were on the CRX.) Winter was coming, the OEM's had 31+K and 3 to 4/32nds wear left. The fact that these Serenity's are quiet and ultra-smooth makes it worth it, to me. I can capture those lost MPG's by just slowing down a few MPH. And with time, who knows? Once I get the "new" worn off them.

As far as I'm concerned, they paid for themselves in this recent snow/ice storm we had a week ago. Handling is great, responsive, and quiet!! Did I mention "QUIET?" I have never pushed Ingrid in corners or turns, so I'm not a reliable source to give an opinion on their performance under those conditions. But they certainly fill the bill for this old guy's driving habits. No complaints, thus far. Overall, I think I got this one right. Not too often do I get that feeling, but sometimes.
I'd also like to go with the P7's down the road, Tirerack has them for $139 each currently. I'm hoping they have a sale sometime later when I'm actually in the market for replacements.

·
22,793 Posts
I'd also like to go with the P7's down the road, Tirerack has them for $139 each currently. I'm hoping they have a sale sometime later when I'm actually in the market for replacements.
Discount Tire sometimes runs a Buy 3, Get 1 free. Which would be one heck of a deal. It's not the tire price, sometimes, that is so bad as it is those little nuisances like mounting, balancing, etc. etc. etc. But the "EPA Disposal Fee, TAXES, etc. that drive me up the wall. At least they haven't figured a way to justify taxing the air inside. YET!

If the airlines can hold you hostage for ONE itty-bitty checked bag, it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yes. Rear align numbers as delivered from Hyundai and called out as "spec" is beyond retarded.. get up out of the chair.. stand up on floor.. legs straight up/down

With your heels maybe 11 inch apart... turn your toes inward as far as you can.. that Hyundai spec for toe in rear as delivered with the solid axle..

Now, spread your heals out farther, notice the angle change on your legs... that is the silly gross camber number called out as "spec".. so we have tire rolling sideway down road and rolling on the inner edge = silly chewed up tire treads and noises as described..

This why tires dont last for crap on our cars (Hyundai in general) due to some engineers calling beyond retarded numbers as "spec"... no reason for it.

You buy new tires, be ADVISED the new tires will wear the same if not kept aired up, rotated more often, and front align numbers made straight (toe is all that can be change at front)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Rich I looked at those bridgestone, they were out of my price range. Glad to hear they are working well.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discount Tire sometimes runs a Buy 3, Get 1 free. Which would be one heck of a deal. It's not the tire price, sometimes, that is so bad as it is those little nuisances like mounting, balancing, etc. etc. etc. But the "EPA Disposal Fee, TAXES, etc. that drive me up the wall. At least they haven't figured a way to justify taxing the air inside. YET!

If the airlines can hold you hostage for ONE itty-bitty checked bag, it's only a matter of time.
lol, I know what you mean about the disposal fees and misc taxes - if the Feds ever start taxing tires like they do tobacco, I'll have to figure out some way to drive on the rims.

And that's a good idea about the buy 3 get the 4th free deal.

·
22,793 Posts
Rich I looked at those bridgestone, they were out of my price range. Glad to hear they are working well.
Zak, if they hadn't been on sale with a buy one, get one, plus the $100 rebate from Bridgestone, and another $40 rebate for an alignment (also on sale Black Friday: $69), I wouldn't have bought them, either.

Just discovered another drawback. Well, for me, that is. With all this melted slush and crap on the roads, these deep tread designs are slinging water outside the fender wells a whole lot more than those ContiPro's ever thought about doing. Not that big of a deal, I suppose, unless you're ME!!! I need a Xanax after seeing this new development, psychotherapy for the CDO (I've had to rearrange the letters as a coping mechanism), and a male-designed wash/detail bay in the house, complete with beer cooler, 70" flat screen, HVAC, and bar-b-que grill with an exhaust hood for ducting to the outside... :blink: Maybe Santa will hook a brother up?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the same noisy issue with my tires as well and continue to suffer. I just try as much as I can to take my mind off the tires while driving, it's just 25,600Kms as of now. My KYB's are going to arrive here in Mid-feb 2014 so I can purchase them locally from the dealer.

I had a hard time and numerous visits to the dealer as well, Hankook guys upgraded the OEM's with S1 EVO model, it was okay, still doesn't solve my problem though. But yes, it has become quieter compared to before...SLIGHTLY!

·
22,793 Posts
I have the same noisy issue with my tires as well and continue to suffer. I just try as much as I can to take my mind off the tires while driving, it's just 25,600Kms as of now. My KYB's are going to arrive here in Mid-feb 2014 so I can purchase them locally from the dealer.

I had a hard time and numerous visits to the dealer as well, Hankook guys upgraded the OEM's with S1 EVO model, it was okay, still doesn't solve my problem though. But yes, it has become quieter compared to before...SLIGHTLY!
I would've gladly taken "slightly" over what I was listening to from those ContiPro's. Couldn't wait to wear them down so I could go out and spend a fortune for replacements. But it was worth EVERY penny spent.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Michelin Defenders did the trick for me. Replaced OEM at 16K because I actually didn't feel like they were very safe. Failed experiment with Hydroedge for a year in between, but the Defenders I've had since March I think. Awesome. Did lose 1-2 MPG on them, but I honestly feel safer with Michelin. OEM Hankooks felt downright squirrelly, had to keep putting air in them, too. Michelins hold air much better- several months down the road, they still are spot on.

Hey guys don't forget about the KYB shocks and how they reduce the overall racket on the road, too. Did they ever come out with struts for the MD Elantra?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts