Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Apologies if this is redundant but I could not find anything specific and am a bit rattled by this issue. I bought my Santa Fe new in 2015. It's got just a bit over 63k on it and last night while coming to a stop at lights I saw the oil light flicker on. This continued until I got home. Never stayed on fully. Checked the oil about an hour later and the dipstick was pretty much dry. Added two quarts to it and took promptly to the garage this morning (not a dealer). I always get the oil changed every 3 months and I was not due until next month. Never saw any oil spots in the driveway. They told me, after they inspected for any leaks, that this is an issue with this model and to call Hyundai. They referenced the TSB shown below. I knew about the Theta engine issue as I got the info in the mail and I got the update awhile ago. I was told that the engine is consuming alot of oil, as referenced by the black soot in the tailpipe and by how little oil I had left when I brought it in. I called Hyundai Customer Service and got an appointment setup for an oil consumption test. If they deem my issue is related to the TSB then they will replace the engine. Has anyone on here been through this? I am not even done paying for this yet! Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Hello all. Apologies if this is redundant but I could not find anything specific and am a bit rattled by this issue. I bought my Santa Fe new in 2015. It's got just a bit over 63k on it and last night while coming to a stop at lights I saw the oil light flicker on. This continued until I got home. Never stayed on fully. Checked the oil about an hour later and the dipstick was pretty much dry. Added two quarts to it and took promptly to the garage this morning (not a dealer). I always get the oil changed every 3 months and I was not due until next month. Never saw any oil spots in the driveway. They told me, after they inspected for any leaks, that this is an issue with this model and to call Hyundai. They referenced the TSB shown below. I knew about the Theta engine issue as I got the info in the mail and I got the update awhile ago. I was told that the engine is consuming alot of oil, as referenced by the black soot in the tailpipe and by how little oil I had left when I brought it in. I called Hyundai Customer Service and got an appointment setup for an oil consumption test. If they deem my issue is related to the TSB then they will replace the engine. Has anyone on here been through this? I am not even done paying for this yet! Thanks for any help

View attachment 453743
Where's the mention in your comments above that you raised the hood and checked the dipstick oil level every 500 miles?Where is the mention that you changed the oil at / prior to 5k? Heck, 3.75k would have been best, which is Severe Service mileage and most of us fall under Severe Service.

If you never check the oil, then you deserve the results that you may have damaged the engine repeatedly, by letting the engine run low on oil.

I hope your engine is covered by the warranty. For these engines never recover from neglect. They slowly begin a march to failure instead.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Where's the mention in your comments above that you raised the hood and checked the dipstick oil level every 500 miles?Where is the mention that you changed the oil at / prior to 5k? Heck, 3.75k would have been best, which is Severe Service mileage and most of us fall under Severe Service.

If you never check the oil, then you deserve the results that you may have damaged the engine repeatedly, by letting the engine run low on oil.

I hope your engine is covered by the warranty. For these engines never recover from neglect. They slowly begin a march to failure instead.
Nice!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Maybe I’m reading your reply wrong but if he changes the oil every 3 months and averages 12k miles per year per his total mileage, that’s every 3k miles he’s changing his oil. These engines suck...period. You can change the oil every 1000 miles with the best oil and filter and have your engine die at 59k miles. I have a 2014 and 2015 Santa Fe sport and both engines died. One at 116k miles and the 2.0T at 59k miles. I’m a fanatic of changing the oil with full synthetic every 3k miles and it didn’t help. So I’m using Castro’s fluid titanium full synthetic and changing per Hyundai every 5K miles. Did this twice on the new engines and surprisingly the oil looked pretty darn good. The point, it’s the engine they suck. Are the new ones better? Maybe....but there simply isn’t enough miles driven to prove they’re reliable. I’m keeping both cars because the engines are guaranteed for life. Otherwise I’d get rid of both of my Hyundai’s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

There's no mention of checking the oil every 500 miles because I don't. Am I supposed to be? I don't know anyone who does and i've never done this on any late model vehicle. I did say that I get it changed every 3 months and that because I rarely hit the 3k mile mark between changes. Saying I deserve the results, which in this case would be engine failure seemingly, is a bit harsh I think. I just learned of this issue. Of course now I'll be checking at least every week since my engine seems to have fallen into the failure category.

Does anyone know if the replacement engines are any better?

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
There's no mention of checking the oil every 500 miles because I don't. Am I supposed to be? I don't know anyone who does and i've never done this on any late model vehicle.
Don't ever tell the dealer service tech-manager that you never check the oil level because your friends andor family don't.

Employ common sense and practical reasoning instead. If you do so, you will save both money and probably live to an older age than they did.
We would be a third world country, had everyone from the Mayflower boat-on, only followed instead if lead.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There's no mention of checking the oil every 500 miles because I don't. Am I supposed to be? I don't know anyone who does and i've never done this on any late model vehicle.
I check oil every 1000 miles. Done it for 30+ years. None were oil burning cars.
Most Owner's Manuals recommend checking oil every time you get gas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I check my oil occasionally between oil changes, which for me is every 1,000 miles/6 months. I just hit 5,000 miles on my 2018 so I'll be doing the 5th oil and filter change this week.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I check oil every 1000 miles. Done it for 30+ years. None were oil burning cars.
Most Owner's Manuals recommend checking oil every time you get gas.
I never did that until owned a Hyundai. I have owned cars since the mid 1980s and never had a single problem. Now with these POS Hyundai engines I check once a week or so.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I never did that until owned a Hyundai. I have owned cars since the mid 1980s and never had a single problem. Now with these POS Hyundai engines I check once a week or so.
you could check it hourly or every 50 miles or so and it could still burn up all the oil or maybe even seize. Lamest engine ever.

·
Registered
239 Posts
you could check it hourly or every 50 miles or so and it could still burn up all the oil or maybe even seize. Lamest engine ever.
Yes but I’ve been reading a lot of these newer 4 cylinder engines are having these problems. Hyundai has more problems but I wonder if it’s due to the close tolerances, high HP for a 4 cylinder, etc?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I love this engine; it comes with a free replacement and recycles your oil for you. After all the posts on this forum, failed/replaced engines... etc. I don't get why people still get bent out of shape about it. I'd be more concerned about the thing burning your house or apartment complex down.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I love this engine; it comes with a free replacement and recycles your oil for you. After all the posts on this forum, failed/replaced engines... etc. I don't get why people still get bent out of shape about it. I'd be more concerned about the thing burning your house or apartment complex down.
Most don't want to have an engine seize while driving, like my cousin when his 2.4 Sonata was 1,300 miles from home, seized and couldn't be driven.
Daughter's 2017 Santa Fe, 2.4, 72,000 miles, CEL came on and 9 miles later the engine seized while on a two lane country road, no shoulder, pouring down rain, and to add another negative, don't forget the fast depreciation.
Great cars!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Typical clueless American drivers who only add fuel to their vehicles and don't bother with regular checking of fluid levels. Love how original poster saw oil light flicker (called an idiot light for a reason) and KEPT driving. This is why we have TPMS because clueless metrosexuals can't be bothered checking tire pressure once a month.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Typical clueless American drivers who only add fuel to their vehicles and don't bother with regular checking of fluid levels. Love how original poster saw oil light flicker (called an idiot light for a reason) and KEPT driving. This is why we have TPMS because clueless metrosexuals can't be bothered checking tire pressure once a month.
Nice!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It is not an engine issue.
It is an engine feature.

All owners need to exercise the dipstick often and read the owners manual.

Reactions: Turbonut
1 - 19 of 19 Posts