Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long period of mid-winter slumping mpg (yes, even 100% winter gas gives the blues :() tanks, my Elantra(Epsilon Lyrae) just turned a surprising spectacular trip computer 30mile(?) jaunt (temperature of 53degF). :D

Filled half a tank at Arlington, WA w/100%. On the highway drive home, the trip computer mpg built quickly thru the 30's & continued into the 40's. As I drove into my garage, the trip indicated 46mpg. Hope its fairly accurate & a good way to dispel the winter blues. Forgot & against my usual driving, most of the trip was without the ECO button.

Epsilon Lyrae strongly reacts to temperatures in the 50-55degF range. Suspect the rest of the tank may be lower, but this tank started well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the same experience, cold temps wreck havoc on driving efficiency. Since I have an Ultra-gauge and can closely monitor engine temp, I have a grill block installed simply using pipe insulation which stuffs nicely into our grill spaces. When temp goes up just yank one out. I also use a block heater. Glad to hear of your success. Check out cleanmpg.com

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Filled half a tank at Arlington, WA w/100%. On the highway drive home, the trip computer mpg built quickly thru the 30's & continued into the 40's. As I drove into my garage, the trip indicated 46mpg.

Epsilon Lyrae strongly reacts to temperatures in the 50-55degF range. Suspect the rest of the tank may be lower, but this tank started well.
The next day's temperature were about 8 to 10degF lower, but the trip computer is hanging on at 44mpg.

Now the real test. My wife took Elantra to transport her mom to the doctor & temperatures are a little lower still. My wife is a careful driver, but doesn't care to have my touch, keeping mpg up. If she comes home with the trip computer mpg above 44mpg, I'll give up all my careful driving & just drive Elantra.

Forgot to note. I'm leaving the ECO button off.

I think what I have in the gas tank now, is 100% gasoline that isn't winter blend, but possibly older summer blend. This station started supplying 100% gasoline, possibly back in September, 2013 with what I assume is summer blend. Sales have been slow, & I think the original September, 2013 gasoline is still in the holding tanks.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now the real test. My wife took Elantra to transport her mom to the doctor & temperatures are a little lower still. My wife is a careful driver, but doesn't care to have my touch, keeping mpg up. If she comes home with the trip computer mpg above 44mpg, I'll give up all my careful driving & just drive Elantra.
Guess I'll keep featherfootin'. Actually, my wife did really good. The trip computer is still holding above 40mpg(41.6)! Under the conditions, it would have been difficult to hold the trip computer another mpg higher. 3-4% between my wife & me, isn't much. I'm proud of her..... specially since she didn't even know there was a contest going on!!!! :bigemo_harabe_net-0

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Filled half a tank at Arlington, WA w/100%. On the highway drive home, the trip computer mpg built quickly thru the 30's & continued into the 40's. As I drove into my garage, the trip indicated 46mpg.
This tank after a warm weather good beginning, reduced a bit with 6 days,
lower temperatures & the wife borrowed it twice. Still, it broke the mid-winter low mpg blues, ending with pencil calculated 38.8mpg. The trip computer indicated 40.2mpg.

Anyhow, the tank was good enough, that I filled at the same Arlington station, again. Went up to 43+mpg. Got home at 40+mpg(trip). We'll see.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Our Elantra has been getting truly horrific winter fuel consumption... as high as 13-15 litres per 100 km. Our secret is to use the car for nothing but short city trips at extreme cold temperatures, employing my wife's unique "gas-brake-gas-brake" driving style. :banana:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone know what is different in winter blend gas compared to summer blend? Before you say it Litesong I know 100% gas is better, just not available in Massachusetts. I am speaking in generalities I know each state has there requirements. What is the requirement for? Emissions and/or Evaporation?

In the last month I put on Ice X 3's and my MPG's have dropped 2 to 3 MPG. I suppose cold and new tires that is to be expected. Just depressing.

On my last note I am planning on new tires for non snow. Has any one tried Pirelli Cinturato P7's? I was thinking that 225/45R17 would be an equivalent size in 17"rims to match my original Hankook Optimo H426 205/55R16. Both are 25.1 Diameter.
Chris

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Last night was the WORST I've ever gotten in my car on the highway. I was doing 70 on a rough stretch of I-84, going up a perpetual albeit slight incline with a headwind and it finally stopped falling at 25.6 MPG.

Going back was slightly better with 35.7 MPG.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Does anyone know what is different in winter blend gas compared to summer blend? Before you say it Litesong I know 100% gas is better, just not available in Massachusetts. I am speaking in generalities I know each state has there requirements. What is the requirement for? Emissions and/or Evaporation?

In the last month I put on Ice X 3's and my MPG's have dropped 2 to 3 MPG. I suppose cold and new tires that is to be expected. Just depressing.

On my last note I am planning on new tires for non snow. Has any one tried Pirelli Cinturato P7's? I was thinking that 225/45R17 would be an equivalent size in 17"rims to match my original Hankook Optimo H426 205/55R16. Both are 25.1 Diameter.
Chris
I have the P4 Pirelli, great tire and P7 is supposed to be better. There are multiple tire size calculators online but that size sounds about right.

Also regarding the OP I have seen good winter mog this year too. Litesong will probably like this next statement... I suspect they have been cutting the ethanol % down or maybe using none at all due to the near 0 temps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts