Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excell from 1996, automatic. In v. good condition. Barely driven but when on the road randomly cuts off. It occurred on a hilly stretch on the motorway. It occurs in slow traffic. It occurs when slowing down to go around the corner. Just stops and no electricity.

Took it to 2 separate Hundai garages intwo differentcountries! One said: take it for a good run every now and then. Another said we need to test if it is the electronic contol unit, but this would be a costly investigation, with an uncertain outcome.

At it's recent check up for mot the was described "as new" in all other respects. Any suggestions that could solve this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Jim2. I believe your car is an X3, so you would be better off posting in that forum. There is wealth of knowledge there.

The Crankshaft position sensor is a common failure in the 1.5L SOHC engines. You lose spark/ignition when it fails. The most common is when the engine is hot, it won't start. When the engine cools, it starts again. If this has never been replaced, you may want to consider just replacing because of the failure rate.

When you say 'no electricity', what power do you lose?

There is also a engine control relay behind the drivers side kick panel which cuts power to the ecu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re-reading my post of 2014. Still on the topic of cutting out randomly today! Seen by garages. Always passed it's MOT and yet Hundai don't have an answer. such a shame as the car is in excellent nick otherwise.
Must note that when the AA came to the resuce, they gave the spark plugs a good clean which seemed to make the car run smoother than ever before.

It is so frustrating though that the problem just continues to exist. I can't believe it is still being reported and I have not been able to get to the bottom of this.

I now read somewhere it happens to them when driving straight stretches, when taking turns to the right! and when the petrol is low ... When it's hot ...

So, anyone out there with updated Advice? Don't wish to part yet from an otherwise good car ... (but not for much longer ...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts