Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Excel - starts fine when cold but after driving and it warms up it may or may not start, depends on what mood it's in. Have had coil pack replaced, etc. It turns over but just won't start, let it sit and come back after it cools, then it usually starts. Acts like it's not getting any spark. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As with any vehicle not starting I would say to check the STARTER as a cause. If it is getting hot to the point of not being able to touch it that means that the Bendix drive is not disengaging like it should. Also your starter may or may not have a thermocouple in it which could cause it to not operate until it cools down. You could take your car to a CSK store (Kragen, Schucks, Checker or Advance auto) they should be able to diagnose your starter for you. without even taking the starter out. If you think you are not getting spark check the spark with a spark checker.( about three bucks) It has a little light inside of the tool and it attaches directly to a spark plug and then to the spark plug wire. Have an assistant either start the car or watch for a light. This will tell you if you have any spark. More than too often in my experience even though the starter is turning the engine over there is just not enough torque to start the engine. Hope this helps

·
Registered
422 Posts
A common problem with a non-start situation after the car gets hot is the crank position sensor.
this is quite a common problem on a lot of hundi's

·
Registered
2 Posts
1994 Excel. Engine will cut out while driving, unable to restart, this will happen only on a hot day of 25c or more. Don't need to have driven car for long time before it will hapen, half an hour more. Leave the car for and hour to cool down and it will restart fine. Need help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am fairly confident that the problem that you are experiencind is quite possibly the crank position sensor.
I would advise you to locate my post in order to carry out the diagnosis procedure that is stated within this post in order to obtain a trouble code.
At least this will point you in the right direction as to what component may be at fault.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MOne,

Can you tell me what style ignition coil you are running in your car, better still can you photograph it and post it here within this topic so that I can tell you how to go about testing the ignition coil.

There are three different types of ignition coils used on excel and it may be hard for you to describe what coils you have.

1. First type that I can describe to you is, there should be two coil packs, one coil pack running cylinders 1-4, and the other running cylinders 2-3. They will have a common three pin connector and that is all.

2. Again, two coil packs however this type utilises two connectors, an individual connector for each coil pack.

The Gen1 12 valve used the first (1) type
The Gen2 12 valve used......**** I can't remember. I will have a look.
The Gen1 16 valve used the first(1) type also
The Gen2 16 valve used the second (2) type

Anyon out there with a 12 valve Getz will know what type of coil pack it uses. Just have a look and let us all know.

Let us know which coil pack type you have MOne and I will give you a test procedure that you can use to help determine your problem.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the 1991 Excel only has one coil !!!
I would check first if there is spark; if not, then replace the "NOISE FILTER". It is the oblong thing, bolted to the accelerator cable at the manifold, and has 2 wires with a "T" type connector. Or even better, if the car won't start, just disconnect the "T" connector and try again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, the noise filters these go on the first V6 sonata's quite often.
I had one the other day, it was actually catching on fire when you tried to start the car! :eek: :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts