Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently had a battery change then went for a sticker....now they tell me car failed because EVAPsystem is not ready. Drove car 400 miles and still no luck....no codes or Lights. any ideas of what to do ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
EVAP checks usually occur many hours after the engine is shut off. Have you let it sit overnight with out resetting the codes after shutting the engine off?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely someone out there in Sonata Land knows the problem here and has a remedy for it. I've heard Horror stories of people driving their Sonata's a thousand mile 's or more to get the idiotic thing to reboot the EVAP SYSTEM from INCL to ready. Was ok before the battery switch so it's a Sonata problem. I'm really getting to hate this car. 700 miles and no budge on the reset

·
Registered
487 Posts
How long was the battery unplugged to change the battery? I have noticed when diagnosing a check engine problem using my BlueDriver that the only time I saw checks on the evap system was after I unplugged the battery for at least half an hour, switched the ignition on (don’t start the engine but turn the ignition to on) for a few seconds after having plugged back in the battery and then letting the car sit. After sitting a few hours, it only took a few minute drive for the checks to be done.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Evap self test occur during drive cycle when all criteria has been met for test to occur.. crappy part about change battery or dead is loss of data,,

I like to change battery with engine running, thus no loss of anything

You might see if dealer will do an EVAP self test and see if it will "qualify" the READINESS TEST for completion ??

Fuel level hes to be ideally 20 - 80% fuel level.... it'll boot you out if FULL or EMPTY

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
EVAP checks usually occur many hours after the engine is shut off. Have you let it sit overnight with out resetting the codes after shutting the engine off?

NO,, NOPE,, WRONG...

Happens with engine run,, need vacuum from intake of running engine to create vacuum in closed system and watch pressure sensor voltage for change of voltage at what rate to qualify a "PASS" (no leak detect),, or what EVAP leak code based on rate of voltage change as to size of leak

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
As SBR711 said, data is loss and the readiness monitors get reset when ever there is a loss of power to the ECU.
The Evap readiness monitor is one of the last monitors to set.
It gets set during two of the drive cycles.
If you don't believe then go visit your neighborhood DMV website and search for passing readiness monitors
Go to "obdii.com/drivecycle.html for more info on drive cycle"
Or visit "repairpal.com/how-to-perform-a-basic-drive-cycle"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts