Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having on ongoing engine code. EVAP Large Leak. Changed out the gas cap with a new Hyundai cap. I can go for weeks or sometimes a month or two without an engine code coming up. I went out and bought a code scanner and just deal with clearing the code and weeks later it comes back. The code seems to come more frequently with warmer weather. Can anyone tell me if there's a vent control valve or solenoid that I should check and if you have a picture as to where it's located. I don't experience any issues with engine function. It's just a nuisance to clear the code.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would make sure the latest software is in the ecm. hyundai has the best tools for diagnosing this on GDS, but you could smoke the system.
Watched the vid of how to make a smoke machine from a cigar and hair dryer, how would one use this tool to diagnose a EVAP leak?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have nitrogen test (Kent-Moore) in our shop,, plumb it in, and juice it with the nitrogen,,, break the system in half ideally..

Juice the tank and canister,, spray with soapy water mix (AXE body wash here, smell good),, look for bubbles at point of leak..

Mine has flow meter,, if leak, ball stay afloat in the tube with flow.. had 1 recently that tank and canister was secure,, so per previous experience, replaced purge.... did self test with GDS,, FAIL....

Now I determined to test front half (purge tube), but no way to tap from connector at canister,,, cut nipple of old GDI pump,, now I have a fitting,, come to find out, rough 4" from canister,,,, look like something try to chew line.. 1 plastic line repair splice coming up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You pretty much apply smoke at the hose by the engine, or anywhere. Most cars Ive seen have the little green cap, with a valve by the engine. You may have seen them on other cars.(see link below) Then, you look for smoke where there shouldn't be any, sometime it comes from fuel tank, gas cap, you may not know what valves should be closed or open, that's is why a dealer has tools like this to actuate during testing. A large leak though, it may be a hose or something like SBR said, you never know. Usually is gas cap, but, thats out in this case. good luck all!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=eva...mOjaAhVlzIMKHRurBuIQ_AUICygC&biw=1472&bih=685

ive seen some smoke a cigar (online) and blow in it, i guess you could, but.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for all of the information. My Santa Fe is throwing out code 0455. All of your files did work for me, and I'll look for the green cap on the EVAP purge. As mentioned, there isn't any change in engine function or driveability,, just annoying to reset and delete the code.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts