Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So my dealer told me that the reason my car won't fill up gas is because of the evap canister needing to be replaced. Its full with some gas. Apparently its due to over topping the tank. So they are blaming it on me and its a very expensive repair and i'm upset.
I don't overfill the car. If the gas pump cuts off and the gauge is not reading full. I'll continue to fill it. Car never will take more than 13.5 gallons as shown in others posts but this is the only car i have ever had an issue with.
Super frustrated with this car as the pano sunroof keeps breaking and now this.
Anyone had any luck with the dealer fixing it under warranty?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That's a tough one. Maybe your gauge is not accurate and you are overfilling?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hello,
So my dealer told me that the reason my car won't fill up gas is because of the evap canister needing to be replaced. Its full with some gas. Apparently its due to over topping the tank. So they are blaming it on me and its a very expensive repair and i'm upset.
I don't overfill the car. If the gas pump cuts off and the gauge is not reading full. I'll continue to fill it. Car never will take more than 13.5 gallons as shown in others posts but this is the only car i have ever had an issue with.
Super frustrated with this car as the pano sunroof keeps breaking and now this.
Anyone had any luck with the dealer fixing it under warranty?
Perhaps your gauge isn't working properly then... It's rare that the gas pump at the station cuts off pre-maturely. They are designed to cut off when the tank is full.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps your gauge isn't working properly then... It's rare that the gas pump at the station cuts off pre-maturely. They are designed to cut off when the tank is full.
I strongly believe that to be the case. It had 0 issues a year ago and until recently it started to get worse. Over the last few months it became frustrating to pump gas. I know the gauge is inaccurate because in another sonata it pumps like 15 gallons and shows more range left on the trip remaining estimate. If i kept filling of the inaccurate gauge i can see how the canister may get overfilled. But I still feel its not my fault. :frown:

·
Registered
127 Posts
How many miles are on it? Did you buy it that dealer? Do you do all of your servicing there? That gives you much clout when something like this comes up. I'm one of those guys who just takes it back to the dealer, tosses them the key and say do what needs to be done. A few years back, on my Elantra, they tried to get me to pay for a warranty item stating that it was something I had done (it wasn't). I said prove it or fix it. I pressed my point and they took care of it.

It's a pretty thin argument to say that after three years (on this car), now you don't know how to fill your own gas tank. I tend to agree with others on the thread that this could be a gauge issue. Good luck with your repairs.

RB

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles are on it? Did you buy it that dealer? Do you do all of your servicing there? That gives you much clout when something like this comes up. I'm one of those guys who just takes it back to the dealer, tosses them the key and say do what needs to be done. A few years back, on my Elantra, they tried to get me to pay for a warranty item stating that it was something I had done (it wasn't). I said prove it or fix it. I pressed my point and they took care of it.

It's a pretty thin argument to say that after three years (on this car), now you don't know how to fill your own gas tank. I tend to agree with others on the thread that this could be a gauge issue. Good luck with your repairs.

RB
It has 53k miles and bought used, I am the second owner but this issue started happening 4 months ago. I do not do my service there, but you are still right, its pumping gas its not hard!

5yr 60,000 mile warranty on canister-Federal
Dealer said warranty does not apply.

you said you continue to fill after gas pump cutting off? That's crazy
Only if the gauge read not full. For example if the pump cut off and the car was short 3 bars. I would pump it again and it would start filling and then click. Then it would show full.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Did the dealer check the vent valve to see if it was open?
Can the evap charcoal canister be taken out and allowed to dry out??

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the dealer check the vent valve to see if it was open?
Can the evap charcoal canister be taken out and allowed to dry out??
They took out the canister and weighed it, saying the extra weight is due to the gas in the canister. They said it had to be replaced, cannot dry out.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,042 Posts
The emissions system (for a non California car) is covered under the 5yr 60,000 mile warranty and transfers to any owner (the 10yr 100,000 mi is only original owner and is major power train, unless it is a CPO car or additional warranty is purchased). If it is a California car it is 7 yr 70,000 miles emissions warranty.

The canister should be part of the emissions system and should be covered.

If they were able to take it out to check and then reinstalled it , sounds like an easy repair other than the part cost the emissions vapor canister on Hyundaioemparts.com is $ 185.00
https://www.hyundaioemparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=emissions canister

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,077 Posts
They took out the canister and weighed it, saying the extra weight is due to the gas in the canister. They said it had to be replaced, cannot dry out.
Did they test the purge valve. If that failed shut then excess fuel will not be pulled into the engine and will accumulate in the canister. A failed purge valve should be covered by the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the late update.
The dealer originally said it not covered under warranty but went ahead and replaced it for me anyway at no charge. When I got the car back it smelled horrible like dirty gas. Especially in the heat. After a few months it went away.

Now in the last few fill ups I noticed my car takes like 15 gallons when it used to take 13/14 and starts to smell like new raw gas. Yesterday I had just filled up and left my car in the garage. This morning the whole garage smelled like raw gas as well as in the car. It took 20 minutes of driving with the a/c blowing to get rid of the smell to tolerable levels. I did have a faint smell before this fill up but not as bad as today.

Could this be related to what they replaced or is this something new. Anything I can check? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
You should never be able to smell gas. They messed something up or missed something.

And FWIW I top off my tank with at least another half gallon after the pump clicks off. No issues with the canister on any car I've done this with.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Sorry for the late update.
The dealer originally said it not covered under warranty but went ahead and replaced it for me anyway at no charge. When I got the car back it smelled horrible like dirty gas. Especially in the heat. After a few months it went away.

Now in the last few fill ups I noticed my car takes like 15 gallons when it used to take 13/14 and starts to smell like new raw gas. Yesterday I had just filled up and left my car in the garage. This morning the whole garage smelled like raw gas as well as in the car. It took 20 minutes of driving with the a/c blowing to get rid of the smell to tolerable levels. I did have a faint smell before this fill up but not as bad as today.

Could this be related to what they replaced or is this something new. Anything I can check? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take it back. Work was not performed properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts