Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have an AU delivered 2010 FD i30 5sp manual diesel. I'm interested to know if the Elantra Touring in the USA had the option for the 85kw 255nm 1.6L crdi U motor?
I know you americans like your hp and was hoping I might find information about how far these little engines can be pushed. The stock dyno run was 74kW and 200nm at the wheels. We have tinkered a fair bit with this one and are now getting 146kW and 320nm at the wheels @30psi. We changed injectors, exhaust, intake, clutch and beefed up the stock turbo/actuator.
Interestingly the car had stock dump and intercooler when it pulled those numbers.
Edit,. The block is a D4FB. The stock turbo is a Garrett GT1544V. The fuel system is Bosch.

If anyone has info about these motors would be appreciated

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
i30cw, 1.6CRDi, AT, basic trim
9 Posts
Hi, that 146kW sounds really impressive. Been thinking about beefing up my own, making sort of a sleeper out of it. Could you provide some info on the mods you've made, parts you used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, that 146kW sounds really impressive. Been thinking about beefing up my own, making sort of a sleeper out of it. Could you provide some info on the mods you've made, parts you used?
Sure,
I have fitted the starter battery (gel) into the boot space in a secured battery box.
The stock air box has been removed and a 76mm intake tube has been fitted from the MAF sensor to a large pod filter which is in behind the passenger side fog light assembly.
The stock intercooler was used for the dyno run but since then a second hand much larger front mounted cooler has been fitted.
+100 injectors have been fitted
The stock turbo has been reworked heavily by an Aussie company called GTurbo from Balcatta, Western Australia.
The exhaust from the bottom of the stock dump is straight through 63mm with a euro 3 race cat. ( Will fit full 76mm exhaust including dump pipe soon)
Exedy HD clutch with heavier torsion springs fitted
Removed and plugged clutch damper
Forged alloy 17 inch rims with 235/45/17's
Left the roof racks on it😉 it has chopped a few unsuspecting folk at the lights so far. It's quite quick now.

·
Registered
i30cw, 1.6CRDi, AT, basic trim
9 Posts
Sure,
I have fitted the starter battery (gel) into the boot space in a secured battery box.
The stock air box has been removed and a 76mm intake tube has been fitted from the MAF sensor to a large pod filter which is in behind the passenger side fog light assembly.
The stock intercooler was used for the dyno run but since then a second hand much larger front mounted cooler has been fitted.
+100 injectors have been fitted
The stock turbo has been reworked heavily by an Aussie company called GTurbo from Balcatta, Western Australia.
The exhaust from the bottom of the stock dump is straight through 63mm with a euro 3 race cat. ( Will fit full 76mm exhaust including dump pipe soon)
Exedy HD clutch with heavier torsion springs fitted
Removed and plugged clutch damper
Forged alloy 17 inch rims with 235/45/17's
Left the roof racks on it😉 it has chopped a few unsuspecting folk at the lights so far. It's quite quick now.
Hey, thanks. Did you do a dyno run after all mods, or do you know if and how much each added? Can you feel the difference, what was the best mod? ; )
So you now have 2 intercoolers? Did you have to remove the AC condenser? What can you really do with stock turbo, better bearings?

G.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks. Did you do a dyno run after all mods, or do you know if and how much each added? Can you feel the difference, what was the best mod? ; )
So you now have 2 intercoolers? Did you have to remove the AC condenser? What can you really do with stock turbo, better bearings?

G.
The last dyno run I did was with stock intercooler, +100 injectors, stock dump pipe and a pod filter literally clamped onto the MAF sensor😁.
That was 146kW and 324Nm.
Since then I have fitted the 3inch intake tube with the pod filter sitting just behind the LH fog lamp which has been replaced with a small grille.
Also removed the stock intercooler and fitted the FPV front mount intercooler. It is at performance shop today having a full SS 2.5inch turbo back exhaust fitted with Magnaflow race cat and race muffler.

Yes I felt the difference, it is a different car. It accelerates A LOT faster now, it has over twice the kW and %60 more Nm at the wheels.

The turbo on my car is a stock turbo. But it has been machined out as far as we dared and has a custom vane assembly and the sleeve bearing has been modified for better oil flow. It also has a different actuator assembly that works off manifold pressure not vacuum like stock.
With the modifications that I have now done I expect we will see gains on top of the numbers above. I think we may be able to push this turbo to just under 40psi.

The intercooler I have fitted is a stock BA xr6t intercooler. Clutch is an Exedy HD with heavier torsion springs.

To put it in prospective, a stock 93 Skyline GTS25T 2.5L straight 6cyl petrol turbo has 184kW and 294Nm and weighs 1360kg.
This i30 hatch weighs 1323kg and has over 300Nm from 2500rpm to 4800rpm
Not quite as much kW but it's not far off.

I noticed on your profile it says "AT", sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if your FD i30 has an automatic transmission you will never get the power numbers above. The auto's are already close to their limits and do not last long if you try to increase output by more than a very very modest amount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts