Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen an advantage to using pure gas versus up to 10% ethanol that most stations sell? The 100% gas costs 40 cents more and its not top tier just a no-name brand. I'm wondering if the mpg would be better? Performance?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Haven't tried it as 100% is almost 80 cents higher locally.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have been using it for the past couple of years in my Elantra and Hybrid. The MPG definitely increase, about 2-3 MPG on the Elantra and 3-4 MPG on my hybrid. The problem is the break even point is around that 30-40 cents per gal area where the extra MPG offsets the cost and at a 40 cent differential the cost benefit of using 100% gas basically goes away for me. It used to be 30 cents a gal a year or so ago but increased in one swoop, no gradual increase in the difference just up 10 cents overnight. Anyway, are the other benefits of no ethanol worth the price, not sure in an auto but definitely in small engines like mowers, trimmers. 100% gas has more energy thus the higher MPG. Does it also burn cleaner and not potentially damage anything like ehtanol, probably not in today's vehicles.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The mpg benefits are probably offset by the higher price, and the fact that it's not top-tier gas.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$2.89 vs $2.49 in my location. I decided to try a tank now just for the heck of it. I can't decide if it feels like more power yet, but according to the trip computer it appears like I'm getting more mpg but I'll have to wait to finish the tank and do the math because the trip computer's mpg is usually not fully accurate in real life.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
i did this a while ago. i had to drive 30 miles to the puregas station. after several tanks, the difference was negligible. maybe .5mpg. the car did seem to idle smoother, but it is not worth the drive. it does work better in the lawn equipment, but that is because some of them sit a long time(i'm lazy). a while ago, i started using the ethanol conditioner in the lawn gas, and it works the same as puregas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts