Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is a reasonable estimate (in Canadian dollars) to replace an oil pan and gasket set for a relatively old Hyundai Sonata..? (more than 10 yrs)

I would really appreciate any guidance...about how to obtain estimates..and from whom..Help..
Please note ..I live in North York!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why does your oil pan need replacing? Is it cracked? Or just leaking? If its leaking is it the gasket or the oil plug? Some leaks you can live with. Lots of older cars' have leaking seals and its mainly a matter of keeping the oil topped up.

If just the oil plug is leaking or stripped there are ways of replacing it without having to replace the oil pan.

Removing and Replacing the engine oil pan will run about two hours shop time - at say $75/hr - It may be less. Even if you are getting a flat rate quote its always good to know how long the actual job is expected to take.

The oil pan gasket set will probabaly cost around $20.

If you need one, The price oil pan for 92 Hyundai Sonata V6 is around $150 Canadian. $100 US

So at a guess you could be looking somewhere in the range of $300 if you need a new oil pan ($200 if its just the gaskets) There will also be shop supplies and an oil change to figure in.

Sorry if this is a broad range.

You're best bet would be to do some calling around to shops that do import car repairs. I'd stay away from service stations and for sure avoid Canadian Tire! Its a straightforward job so any shop should be able to give you an estimate over the phone.

You can also ask people you know who drive older cars if they can recommend anyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.. I have already replaced my oil pan..

By the way..I did pay exactly 300 and prior to reading your post I did call around by picking up the yellow pages..and found a wide range of estimates..It would have helped if someone already knew of a reliable and trustworthy mechanic (very rare to find..)
I was also able to establish that my regular guy was quoting almost 50% more..Time to change mechanics..hm?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts