Hyundai Forums banner

ESC OFF light is on, Brake lights not working.

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ameritoon 
#1 ·
About couple weeks or so ago, my brake lights were staying on even when the car when turned off. I could get them to turn off if I lifted up on the brake pedal. I figured that the little movement must be indicative of a worn plug. So I went to the local parts store and picked up the rubber/plastic plug and replaced the one that was there. However, the lights still stayed on, so I grabbed a couple wrenches and made a small adjustment and the lights started working "as expected". Some time last week I noticed that after driving a few hundred yards and needed to apply my brakes, my ESCOFF light would come on and stay on until I turned the vehicle off. Another thing I noticed while driving my son to the bus stop (in the dark) was that my brake lights were no longer illuminating when I pressed the pedal. I was informed this morning that what appears to be happening is when I press my brake pedal, my reverse lights are lighting up.

So armed with all that... could the switch that engages at the brake pedal be the culprit? Does one have anything to do with the other? Other than some codes for a catalytic converter issue, I am not having any other issues with the vehicle.

edit - 2007 Santa Fe, 2.7L, 245k miles.

See less See more
#2 ·
could the switch that engages at the brake pedal be the culprit?
That seems highly unlikely.

Ameritoon said:
Does one have anything to do with the other?
No, that's why it seems highly unlikely.

With the ignition off, jam something between the driver's seat and the brake pedal then go to the back and take a look for yourself at what lights are on. Let us know what you find.

#5 ·
I had my son press the brake pedal during the following conditions.
Key OFF - no lights,
Key On, Engine OFF - no lights,
Engine On - no lights.
Looks like you have a problem with the brake light switch then. Possibly no power being supplied to it, so you should start your diagnosis of the problem by checking the STOP LP fuse on the dash fusebox.

On the bright side...at least the reverse lights aren't coming on when you press the brake pedal. That would be a much more challenging scenario to diagnose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.