Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just like the title says out of the blue the esc light will come on and it sounds like the front brakes are grinding. This only happens once in a while but more often as of late. Grinding noise does not occur until after the light comes on. Sometimes the light will stay on for a minute and then go out and everything is fine. Other times we need to shut the car off and on for the light to go out. Grinding noise only occurs one time in all instances.

We just had a brake job done 3 months ago so I am at a loss as to the problem.

This is an 07 FWD Sante Fe.

All opionions and suggestions appreciated.

thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Start with scan of modules and visual brake inspection to verify quality of brakes.

Had the 092 brake light switch done ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about 092 switch. We bought the car in 2008 used from a Dealer. I guess I will have to take it to get looked at. thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the car checked out and the Dealer could not find a problem. They got no codes back doing diagnostics. They visually inspected the car and found no issues including brakes which were fine. Also they drove the car for an hour and could not duplicate the issue. Also confirmed they did the recall fix last September. So problem remains and so far I am out 99 bucks for computer diagnostics which yielded no results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i had the same issue on a 2006 sonata which the dealer ended up keeping for about 3 months or more and Hyundai ended up buying it back... the issue was a short somewhere in the ecs wiring and when it rained boom... ESC light and brakes grinding.... the had never heard of that condition and argued about if it was even possible... anyway after people flying in from Korea and them buying the car back... the eventually found the issue above... The had already replaced every switch and module... it would basically take rewiring the car to fix it ( as i was told)..

If your issue is the same as mine was it can be very dangerous...

merging on to the interstate the brakes basically locked and lost all power.....
another time exiting the interstate and brakes would grind me down to about 10mph....
making a turn across 3 lanes of traffic same thing.... almost got t-boned....

i would record what happened.... if you have to... keep a cell phone going and record the condition... or when it happens always write it in a log...with the current weather conditions...

X

·
0 Posts
ABS Brake Failure; 2008 Sante Fe

@Isutiger694: I see you posted this almost 2 years ago but it is the first post that I have read that explains the exact same problem I had with my 2008 Sante Fe's brakes (abs systems). The dealer could never find the problem, after trying to repair it three times and test driving it at one point for over one month. On the first failure their was a diagnostic code showing a module (I think that was what it was) failure. We decided to be on the safe side and have the module replaced ($2000) rather than have this occur again since reseting the history/diagnostic code was not a guarantee it wouldn't happen again. That did NOT solve the problem. After the 4th failure and going to an independent auto repair shop for a "second" opinion they also could not find the problem so we gave up and traded the vehicle in. I loved my Sante Fe but we felt it was an extreme safety issue. I actually fought with the service department to no avail and was asked NOT to return with the vehicle, still not fixed. Great Hyundai dealership. I called Hyundai USA for help, to no avail. (My brakes would grind me to 20 mph, with no way to accelerate, and this would happen no matter how fast I was going.) Very frustrating and sad to know that Hyundai was so non-responsive. Customer Service was non-existant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts