Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2011 Veracruz I bought 3 months ago from a dealer. In the past week, on two occasions after a hard brake at a yellow light, my ESC light came on. Two days ago when it happened, after stopping, I was unable to shift into park. Finally, after turning the car off then on again, I was able to get it to move and the light went away. Today's incident occurred and while looking for parking, noticed one opening up. I was just past it but could not get the car to reverse. After many attempts and trying to solve it by turning the car off and on etc. I gave up and moved on. I then found a spot, pulled in and could not get the car to go into park or reverse. I was stuck. The key would not come out of the ignition and I could only put the car in neutral. It's 112 degrees in AZ today, and I am panicking. I tried for almost 20 minutes. Finally I somehow got the car to jump forward a bit and slammed the braketo keep from hitting the parked car in front of me. Once I did that the car slid into park, I could remove the key and went inside the store to cool off (physically and emotionally). I came back out, started it, put it in reverse and moved on as usual. I've never had anything like this ever happen and am very worried. Any clue what is happening to my car? By the way about a week ago I noticed the Esc light once before, and had no idea what it meant. It seemed the car had a bit of a traction issue while driving with that light on but that could have been my imagination. Any Help would be so very much appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I own a 2011 Veracruz I bought 3 months ago from a dealer.
Ok, been back to dealer since purchase for any service work where the fella in service aisle would run you VIN for open recall as required by Hyundai Motor rules for each VIN that show up for service ?

In the past week, on two occasions after a hard brake at a yellow light, my ESC light came on.
Warning light.. scan the offending modules for DTC.. see above comment

Two days ago when it happened, after stopping, I was unable to shift into park.
Shifter interlock not move out of way to allow shifter to move to different position,, thank .GOV and some individuals for that device some 30yr ago..

Finally, after turning the car off then on again, I was able to get it to move and the light went away. Today's incident occurred and while looking for parking, noticed one opening up. I was just past it but could not get the car to reverse. After many attempts and trying to solve it by turning the car off and on etc. I gave up and moved on. I then found a spot, pulled in and could not get the car to go into park or reverse. I was stuck.
You can manually operate the interlock in the console via removing the interlock cap and using a spare key or stick to push lever manually to unblock gate and allow shiter to be operated

The key would not come out of the ignition and I could only put the car in neutral.
See above coment, shifter has to be in "P" before we allow you to remove key from cylinder

Any clue what is happening to my car?
Yes, 2 things come to mind rather quickly.. Scan the modules, likely find a "C1513" brake light switch circuit code (no brake light signal to shift lock solenoid, no shift lock solenoid function)... 2nd, Hyundai on another brake light switch recall,,, you likely might find you have an open 110 recall for brake light switch ,, first of which the dealer failed to do prior to sale of vehicle (all sales cars are to have recalls done prior to sale),, or you have not been back for any service for them to check VIN for recalls after the sale (see first comment up above)

Any Help would be so very much appreciated.
You have an issue with ABS/ESC,, shifter interlock is not operating (electric issue) which leads me to say you have a brake light switch concern. With the car being a 2011, it is covered by 5yr/60,000 mile warranty, so you be best to visit dealer, let them run VIN for open recalls (suspect open 110),, do a full "fault code search" of all the modules (likely find a C1513 in the ABS/ESC module),, and replace the brake light switch, clear all DTC, and do all updates while GDS installed.

Please refer to PAGE 5-12 and PAGE 4-65 of your owner manual

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar happen to my 2010 Veracruz and it was a bad alternator. Just incase the above scenarios all check out ok for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue on 2007 Veracruz

We are experiencing same issue on 2007 Veracruz. Locks shifter out until you turn it off for a while. As a side note, it is about 105+ temp here. ESC OFF light remains on when it is unable to shift. Dealer looked at this issue prior but says really can't do anything since they couldn't duplicate it. They said to tow it in when it happens again. Issue it, it seems to correct itself after sitting for a while. Heading to dealership now to check it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had something similar happen to my 2010 Veracruz and it was a bad alternator. Just incase the above scenarios all check out ok for you.
I had something similar happen to my 2010 Veracruz and it was a bad alternator..But ESC light is still on and Check Engine light on and Transmission stuck on I believe on 3 d or 4 th gear..but it doesn’t show anything..and I change already alternator..if anybody know how to fix problem..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had something similar happen to my 2010 Veracruz and it was a bad alternator..But ESC light is still on and Check Engine light on and Transmission stuck on I believe on 3 d or 4 th gear..but it doesn’t show anything..and I change already alternator..if anybody know how to fix problem..
Like others have mentioned, the issue is the brake light switch. I believe there was a recall at some point, but mine had been replaced before I bought my vehicle and I still had to replace it again myself. It’s a very easy fix and a cheap part. Located right behind the brake pedal. Google brake light switch for your make/model year. I am a total novice and I did this myself easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 TUCSON and had to bring mine in for a brake light switch replacement recall, this was about 1 1/2 years ago, so your car may also be on the list. I also had shifting issues and ESC traction control ordeals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a problem with my ESC light coming on, cruise control not working when my headlights were on and then after a few months my transmission got stuck and would not go into reverse or park. After reading a few posts I remembered that I had changed my left brake light a few ago.
Guess what? When I replaced the light bulb all my troubles went away! I don't understand how it works, but replacing the brake light worked for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a problem with my ESC light coming on, cruise control not working when my headlights were on and then after a few months my transmission got stuck and would not go into reverse or park. After reading a few posts I remembered that I had changed my left brake light a few ago.
Guess what? When I replaced the light bulb all my troubles went away! I don't understand how it works, but replacing the brake light worked for me.
that is absolutely bizarre.
what model veracruz?

·
Registered
167 Posts
was it an LED bulb?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I can certainly believe the brake light bulbs being bad can cause it also, as when I threw in led bulbs, my esc and cruise control were both messed up, I have push to start, and with the lights on, I could start the car without pressing the brake pedal, until I put back in the standard bulbs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can certainly believe the brake light bulbs being bad can cause it also, as when I threw in led bulbs, my esc and cruise control were both messed up, I have push to start, and with the lights on, I could start the car without pressing the brake pedal, until I put back in the standard bulbs.
On my Honda, I swapped the daytime running bulbs aka high beams with LED, and the canbus goes bananas, the parking sensors went nuts and dash lit up like a tree.
even bought the canbus resistor adapter that did nothing.

put back the original bulbs, problem solved.

apparently these led bulbs shoot all kinds of interference on the canbus network which can cause mayhem.

·
Registered
766 Posts
On my led bulb replacement, I checked out the bulbs when I had problems, and when the headlights were on, it sent about 8v back up the brake light wire. The bulbs were wired so that the brake light leds were directly between 12v and ground, and the tail lights were connected to the brake light leds through a 100 ohm resistor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
that is absolutely bizarre.
what model veracruz?
I have a 2009 Veracruz. Forgot to mention that the other thing that was happening was that my dashboard was lighting up during the day when I pushed the break pedal. Everything went back to normal once I replaced the ordinary (not LED) brake light, which was not burnt in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like others have mentioned, the issue is the brake light switch. I believe there was a recall at some point, but mine had been replaced before I bought my vehicle and I still had to replace it again myself. It’s a very easy fix and a cheap part. Located right behind the brake pedal. Google brake light switch for your make/model year. I am a total novice and I did this myself easily.
I changed my brake switch today and still having same issues. brake lights still stuck on :(
Any other ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts