Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My wife drives an 08 entourage. So far the van has been great with the exception of winter. Our driveway is uphill followed by turning onto the road which is up hill. The ESC system cuts the power so much you basically are stuck. Most of the time we have to turn off the ESC system to get out of the neighborhood. Even then with it off it is difficult. Guys at two different tire places say the tires are great.

Is there a method to make the ESC system less sensitive?
Is there any benefit to adding weight to the back?
Unfortunately, chains are not legal in our part of Michigan. Any other ideas how we can get better traction? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ESC and indeed under the opposite conditions ABS while braking, do not work on snow or near zero grip conditions as you have. All I can suggest is complain, complain, hopefully the dealer will turn it off for you. The function of the ESC that's giving you problems is the traction control, or wheel slip detection. I have an i30 and in Australia we have hard surfaced dirt/clay roads that have small round stones on the edges, they look just like ball bearings, same as your conditions they give near zero traction, with ABS and ESC the car becomes near undriveable, with older, unsafer, non ABS cars, we used to just let the wheels spin or skid down through the balls to bite onto the hard surface.

Sometimes 'progress' is not always forwards.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Studded tires are an ice tire; they won't help you one bit in snow but studless snow tires will. I've got a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 studless snow tires for my Elantra (on dedicated rims) and they work great in all kinds of snow; packed, slushy, fresh or otherwise. We have lots of hills around here and even up on Mount Hood, I've really tested them out and felt very secure and safe on the road.

I don't know if you have a GLS or a Limited so here are Blizzak options for both:

GLS - Blizzak DM-V1 16"
Limited - Blizzak DM-V1 17"

·
Registered
461 Posts
Blizzaks are a rip, only 50% of the tread is the special rubber formulation.
Your post does not make sense, 'Studded tires are an ice tire; they won't help you one bit in snow but studless snow tires will'
Studded/studdable tires are actually geared more towards snow traction with less complex rubber formulations and the availability of extreme ice traction bye studding the tires. and 'studless' towards ice traction with less void between the rubber tread blocks and stickier rubber formulations etc.
Being somewhere that doesn't get winter like I do I'd suggest a snow rated all weather tire like the Vredestein Quatrac or Nokian Wrg2 or WRG3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have this problem. Leaving work is a steep hill up to a busy 4-lane road. Especially this winter, as our tires reaching the end of their useful life, with the ESC on, the van will absolutely refuse to climb the snow/ice covered hill. ESC off and it will make it. After 5 years, we are now learning to use the ESC button often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts