Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 2008 Hyundai santa fe limited v6, 3.3L . The ESC OFF comes on while driving, and the cruise control is turning on but doesn't set. (are both issues related?). There is No check engine light or any other lights on. The brake light switch is working fine on and off , all tail lights and brake lights and other light bulbs are good. All ABS sensors reading perfect. I've attached the most recent error codes I have. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
are both issues related?
Yes, I think that is very likely.

tomas zedman said:
The brake light switch is working fine on and off
The control module doesn't seem to think so given it's logged a static/active trouble code relating to the brake pedal switches. You know there are two of those...right? One for the lights and one that inputs a signal to the ESC and PCM (actually, they both input signals to the ESC/PCM). Clearly the control module isn't happy with one of them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'd revisit the brake switch or simply replace it. Sounds like the symptoms of one and they are known to be an issue. Over here there was a service campaign for free replacement.
These are the models we had affected.

all my i30s had it done with one of mine with the ESC off issue, rectified immediately with a new switch

Australia.
Hyundai cars affected by faulty brake light switch
(all of these models will be called back to dealerships)

Hyundai Getz (August 2002 to August 2011)

Hyundai i30 (September 2007 to May 2012)

Hyundai Santa Fe (May 2006 to August 2012)

Hyundai Tucson (June 2004 to February 2010)

Hyundai ix35 (March 2010 to today)

Hyundi Elantra (October 2006 to June 2011)

Hyundai iLoad and iMax (February 2008 to today)

93810-3K000

I could not find this in the Santa Fe but same switch as i30

C1513 is from Europe manual

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think that is very likely.

The control module doesn't seem to think so given it's logged a static/active trouble code relating to the brake pedal switches. You know there are two of those...right? One for the lights and one that inputs a signal to the ESC and PCM (actually, they both input signals to the ESC/PCM). Clearly the control module isn't happy with one of them.
I've spotted the one right over the brake pedal. Where is the other one located? Thank you.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
It's a double pole single throw switch, with one pole being normally open and the other being normally closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi. So I've ordered a genuine OEM brake switch (attached image), installed it, After installing the new switch , I got the ESC and the ABS codes ON (attached image), and the brakes locked on while I was driving and started smoking, and almost got into accident!! So i put back the old switch , and i had a thought to adjust the position of the upper nut and make it lower, now i have no esc off light (for now, it's intermittent from the beginning), (attached image), i have this tpms code (attached image) , Cruise control still turns on but doesn't set the speed. And just for the record this is the 3rd defective brakes switch genuine OEM I order

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
it still sounds like brake switch problem to me. I had it on mine too. But since you replaced three already, maybe a wire is pinched or shorted. multimeter test all 4 wires from switch to next point in circuit (sorry I don't have. schematic). test for shorts and earths (aka grounds in USA) also make sure any wires that should be earth, are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it still sounds like brake switch problem to me. I had it on mine too. But since you replaced three already, maybe a wire is pinched or shorted. multimeter test all 4 wires from switch to next point in circuit (sorry I don't have. schematic). test for shorts and earths (aka grounds in USA) also make sure any wires that should be earth, are.
I'll do that and I'll let you know. Thank you 🤙

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Nor me.
I've replaced quite a few of those switches over the years and didn't even knew there was specific instructions on how to align them. Lots of other folk on the forum have replaced theirs DIY and I'm sure they didn't have the factory instructions. Obviously the alignment can't be that critical or I'm sure lots of folk would be running into problems. It seems unlikely that we're all fitting it exactly where the manual says it should be just by chance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Nor me.
I've replaced quite a few of those switches over the years and didn't even knew there was specific instructions on how to align them. Lots of other folk on the forum have replaced theirs DIY and I'm sure they didn't have the factory instructions. Obviously the alignment can't be that critical or I'm sure lots of folk would be running into problems. It seems unlikely that we're all fitting it exactly where the manual says it should be just by chance.
Of course if you only remove the 1 nut then the other remains and you could get it close copying the original unit fitted. Requires some forethought though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts