Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Apr 28 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317636
You mean I actually have to control my car in a spin right now, its not going to help me?!

OMG the sky is falling!!!!

I wonder if in 20 years anyone is even going to have to know how to drive anyways. What a joke.
This is a complete tangent. But honestly, probably not. I predict that cars will go the way of horses; they are only used for sport and recreation now. I believe the same fate eventually awaits passenger cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have a point about colonialism fonque, but the world is going to change. It can change nicely through peace or by force through world war. The downtrotten and meek want to take the pie, and the strong and wealthy arent being nice about relinqushing what rightfully belongs to the downtrotten and meek.

Hyundai Development

1. 2006-2020=Kill Chyrsler and expose them as the joke car company they are. Embarass VW by running circles around them on the reliability to content front.

2. 2020-2035=be the New Lexus for gen Y.

3. 2035-2050=Make Hyundai the benchmark for all premium brands to achieve regardless of price.

With the speed that Hyundai develops its cars, I might actually be a little conservative on the time frame this can happen.

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,951 Posts
 QUOTE (omg grip @ Apr 28 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317636
I wonder if in 20 years anyone is even going to have to know how to drive anyways. What a joke.
They don't know how to drive now!  It's OK though, pretty soon they can finally focus on all those important things except that pesky "focus on the road" crap. :p  Getting ready for work, talking on the phone, texing, eating, yelling at the kids - these are all very important activities that should not be interrupted.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (Accent Planet @ Apr 28 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317720
You have a point about colonialism fonque, but the world is going to change. It can change nicely through peace or by force through world war. The downtrotten and meek want to take the pie, and the strong and wealthy arent being nice about relinqushing what rightfully belongs to the downtrotten and meek.

Hyundai Development

1. 2006-2020 = Kill Chyrsler and expose them as the joke car company they are. Embarass VW by running circles around them on the reliability to content front.

2. 2020-2035 = be the New Lexus for gen Y.

3. 2035-2050 = Make Hyundai the benchmark for all premium brands to achieve regardless of price.

With the speed that Hyundai develops its cars, I might actually be a little conservative on the time frame this can happen.
1. chrystler will kill itsself, it doesnt need hyundai's help for that. VW doesnt sell based on reliability, they sell based on the "euro brand" image. VW's havent been reliable for the last 15 years. They also have a knack for making visually distinct cars that you would not ever confuse for another make. VW's always look like a VW, if that makes any sense.

2. The only chance of this happening is if an entire generation of people dies off, and the Lexus brand is hit with a scandal as big as Toyota's.
Also Hyundai will have to, and I mean HAVE TO stop biting design cues off other manufactures. They need to create fresh new design themes.
They need a Hyundai "look". Not "wow, that car looks like a cheap lexus". Once they are compared to another make they have lost. They need to
be their own design standard. VW, BMW, and Mercedes are very very good at this. Some might argue that brand image is actually more important
than the product you are selling.

3. I dont think that will ever happen, at least not in the US market, for reasons stated in my previous post.

Hyundai also has to avoid the trap that Nissan fell into in the mid 90's. They over engineered their cars beyond a price point that people were willing to pay based on their perceived brand image.
In the mid 90's Nissan made unbelievably reliable cars, but by around 98 or so, they couldnt sell a car to save their life. They eventually were faced with bankruptcy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What Hyundai needs to do is release the Genesis brand as they previously planned. The stigma's going away, but it's still there and you won't see the kind of people who want to buy a 60k Equus drive up to a Hyundai dealership willingly. Genesis should be their new NA luxury Lexus brand, Hyundai should become their Toyota brand, and Kia should become their Scion brand and the sooner they bite the bullet and do this, the better things will get for them reputation wise for their higher end vehicles. Engineer a high-end SUV with Genesis sedan/Equus features and they've got a nice rounded base to start the new brand with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
By the way Naky, if you knew anything about Scion you wouldnt dare say such a thing. KIA becoming Scion=Bye Bye KIA. As Scion has been losing money for Toyota from day one in the US, and Toyota is seriously considering getting rid of Scion. Hyundai/KIA over the long term is headed the way of VWAG. If they wanted to be Toyota they would have hired Toyota/Honda guys, not the: VWAG, Merc, Opel, or BMW guys they have been hiring.

They arent going the Lexus/Toyota route either. They are going to grow upmarket over time, a long time like 20-25 years. That's what the company wants to do, and they have already made their minds up about it. I hear the Genesis refresh will have a Hyundai Badge on the Grille by the way. KIA is going to get its own Genesis/Gen coupe too in 2012 for thr 2013 model year.

The Koreans hate the fact that they are known as cheap car makers, and are willing to do what it takes to change that view. The Korean people hate cheap cars, as they arent a cheap car culture. The real Korea is starting to show in these cars.

Hyundai/KIA did what they had to do to make money at first, and if that was selling cheap looking cars that were even cheaper in price then that was what they had to do. It was a Nice ride, but now they want to grow up.

And Besides, the Chinese/Indians are what cheap cars are for. The Japanese are what overpriced and cheap quality cars are for.

The cars will still be affordable, but in the short term instead of Toyota quality at less than Toyota prices, we're moving up to Buick quality at Toyota Prices. In the long term the cars will still be relatively value priced-Buick Pricing with Merc quality.

"In the future everybody will want to buy a Hyundai, but many people wont to be able to for whatever reason." - Hyundai

Read your history. When VW first bought Audi from Daimler in 1964 they made Cheap POS cars. They went" upmarket" in the early 80s after the success of the Audi Quatrro. Who remembers or knows about the times when Audi made Cheap POS cars? Nobody except old guys, and auto geeks like myself.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
Consumer Reports is probably the biggest turd ever crammed between two magazine covers and man do they stoop to some low levels just to get some attention. I stopped liking them when the Isuzu Trooper scandal hit around 1997 or so (if memory serves) which was eerily reminiscent of the Suzuki Samurai incident of similar basis back in 1987. In a leaked internal memo, CR even bragged about how it was very proud of how they had ruined the car's reputation. Talk about sleazy.

I stopped trusting them in any capacity when they awarded the 2007 Camry a full red dot for reliability and and a "Recommended" badge before it had even hit the market. Funny...because I remember them saying they would never award reliability scores "before proper testing could take place". I even recall them printing something to the effect of 'Due to the Camry's stellar reputation we have chosen to give it a high score despite the fact we haven't even laid hands on it yet.' That really steamed my carrots because at that time, they were bashing Hyundai for REALLY trivial stuff like tinny turn signal stalk feel. Talk about splitting hairs.

But in the grand scheme of things it was no big deal because crow was served in healthy quantities a year or so later when the Camry started having serious problems with the V6 engine and transmission and CR had to write a retraction. That was a very happy day for me. From now on, I will only use a Consumer Reports magazine for kindling.

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ May 4 2010, 03:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319329
bashing Hyundai for REALLY trivial stuff like tinny turn signal stalk feel.
Man, that's the worst, If I had known the turn signal would feel tinny I would never have bought the Accent. It ruins the whole institution of driving. If only the turn signal felt "plasticky." When test driving I felt the radio bezel, parking brake, and the gas cover release and they all felt quite pleasant, but imagine my surprise when I got home with my new car and learned about the dreaded tinny-feeling turn signal stalk. Now I just never use my turn signal, the feel of it gives me shivers. I can live with it for now, but I will be so glad when I trade it in, maybe for a more solid-feeling turn signal car like the Aveo, or a used Aztec. Dangit Hyundai, why can't you be more like Chevy!!! Oh well, live and learn. :(

Isuzu Trooper FTW

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not really sure if I understand what everyone is flipping out about.

I mean, it is just a statement of fact that the Accent is one of very few new vehicles sold without ESC, which is going to be a mandatory feature on all new cars.

No big deal--its true.

Most of the cars on the road don't have ESC. Its just one of the new waves of the industry.

Back in the dizzay, I'm sure the same kind of thing happened when airbags were becoming mandatory. Probably in...what, 93? 94 maybe? There were probably a few last new cars that didn't have ye olde bags of safety, but would HAVE to get them in their next revision.

Still a superfun superawesome car.

Also, turned in my senior thesis today. w oot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think Ultragod is being sarcastic. LOL, like an Aveo. LMAO!!!

Why is it that Consumer Reports is hating on the Accent, when it was Hyundai that pioneered the industry and said, "Hey are will have ESC in all Sedans starting in 08." and did it? That forced everybody else to add ESC too, and it also forced the US Government to say, "Well if Hyundai can do it, then eveything sold in the US market needs to have ESC by 2012."

I think its a very cheap shot at Hyundai as they know New Accent is coming. Everybody is trying to get their last cheap shots out. They are pushing Hyundai to rush these vehicles to market, which is not a good thing for quality. Then again, I think they want Hyundai to have quality problems but they JUST CANT FIND THEM. So now they are trying to get Hyundai to create some on their own.

Plus Hyundai cut their losses on Accent MC, and didnt bother with it besides the Half assed Refresh last year.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.