Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hyundai Forums Admin.
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div align='center'>

Consumer watchdog, Consumer Reports has released its list of 2010 cars, which includes the Hyundai Accent and the Chevrolet Aveo, that do not come with the electronic stability control (ESC) safety feature.

A computerized technology that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids in a turn, electronic stability control will become a standard feature in all light-passenger vehicles come 2012. This category includes cars, pickup trucks and SUVs. According to Consumer Reports, the majority of manufacturers have already equipped their vehicles ahead of the mandate.

The list was a short one – only nine other cars managed to make the cut. Others on the list include the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Viper, Kia Rio, Lotus Elise, Tesla Roadster and Scion tC.

But don't worry if you're in the market for a Hyundai Accent – it will have electronic stability control upgrade shortly. According to Hyundai spokesman Dan Bedore, "The Accent is our only non-ESC vehicle. It is also the oldest in our lineup. We continue to roll out new technologies as vehicles are freshened and replaced." At this time, the Accent is the only current vehicle made by Hyundai that does not come with ESC.

More: ESC Absent in 2010 Hyundai Accent, Chevrolet Aveo, says Consumer Reports on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
Next Gen Accent= 5 stars side front, and rear. ESC, Standard front and rear Discs. Yep its going to be safer than a Volvo, a Merc, etc....

Many people who own an Accent already will trade it in for the new one anyway. Not a big deal as Consumer Reports are notorious Accent/Rio/Aveo haters.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How, that's Volvo's problem right now? They dont have a selling point. Why buy an unattractive gas guzzling Volvo when Most cars have goten that safe now? Whats the point in buying a Volvo when I could get a whatever, thats just as safe or safer.

That's Toyota's problem too. Why buy a Girly looking Dry Wallpaper Paste Toyota when you have 15 other car companies (Incuding Hyundai) that are just about as reliable in terms problems per 100 vehicles?

Why does CR always think everybody wants to drive Toyota like cars? There's a reason why 85% of the market DOESNT buy Toyota. They think the Accent is a sloppy car to drive, but thats why WE drive it becuase Its fun. Its not a Mommy Yaris. When will CR get over the fact that 85% of the population doesnt want to drive Wallpaper Paste?

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
In other words, if you don't want the electronic nanny driving it for you, buy one of these now while you can. :grin:  The last of a dying breed.

On low end vehicles, price is too important (many people who buy in this case just don't want to pay extra, even if it means they'll be safer...)  I figured they would wait to implement it until they were required to do so to keep the price down. 

planet, I don't think the safety comment will pan out when some inattentive driver in a guzzling SUV t-bones you.  It's still going to be a small car and the laws of physics won't change.  I do truly hope they have substantially reworked how the car holds up in an accident...  The MC was supposed to be safe too with all the extra air bags and such, but they weren't that great of performers in the NHTSA or IIHS tests (really poor in the latter.)  They need to be much improved over the current batch for they're at the bottom of the barrel in every category compared to the competition. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dont call 5 stars front passenger and driver or 4 stars on the side for front occupants poor. 3 out of 5 stars in the rear is ok for now, but its not bad. Its not 5 stars but its more than adequate.

There are some Merc and BMW products that dont have 5 stars in front, but many products dont have 5 satrs for the front. You cant say that about Accent, the company knows this and that's why it wasnt to a big deal to do a costly safety measure so quickly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Outside of the rear crash Accent has a better crash score on mostly everything else than Yaris.

The Toyota Fan boys at CR will never point that out though. If I was in a front collision Id rather be in Accent than Yaris anyday. Who gives a **** if CR says anything, theyll never like Accents.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
QUOTE (Accent Planet @ Apr 27 2010, 06:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317422
I dont call 5 stars front passenger and driver or 4 stars on the side for front occupants poor. 3 out of 5 stars in the rear is ok for now, but its not bad. Its not 5 stars but its more than adequate.
Bear in mind those are ratings against vehicles in the same weight class.  Unless a Smart hits you, just about everything else on the road is bigger and will be more destructive to the car and possibly its occupants.  So those ratings don't really mean so much in those situations.  

The Accent isn't that bad at frontal crashes, but side impacts are pretty miserable.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=712

The Yaris wasn't much better, especially when it had no side air bags. I'd rather be in an Accent, it's not as small and lightweight.  

As far as CR goes, I have no use for them (or Toyota for that matter)  

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
IMO only old people and over-protective parents choose their car in relation to its safety features and rating. Today's cars are miles ahead of what they were just 10 years ago.

·
Registered
497 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 27 2010, 06:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317407
Sorry, but that is possibly the most irrational statement I've ever read.
+1

They've tried refreshing the style and improving the safety. Fine, thats absolutely acceptable considering this model is passing 4 years already.

But seriously an accent will never be a Mercedes, Volvo, VW, BMW, or even Genesis. Its ridiculous to make these kind of comparisons. Unless they want to drop the name and bring out a new image then perhaps they can try to market the car as something other than an inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicle.
The Genesis and especially the Equus is a completely different story because on the latter the car is stripped of every H emblem. Similarly, the genesis is easy to rebrand under a Genesis label as opposed to a crooked H.

Anyway...

This is just screaming mercedes to me!

BMW anyone?

woah! thats not a VW? RLY?

Buyers are not going to be fooled into believing this next gen accent is secretly an luxury supercar in disguise...

The Accents crash specs look great when compared with similar vehicles. Your telling me you'd rather be in an Accent rather than a full size Mercedes if you were being hit by a Mack truck?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well lv_3600, the crash scores dont lie do they. Say what you want, but it still doesnt negate the fact that this Accent had a better crash score at the same speed hitting the same object in front as some Merc and BMW products.

Just becuase they are Merc and BMW doesnt mean a Korean upstart can beat them in something. There was a time when Merc and BMW didnt make the highest status cars too. IT WAS JUST SO LONG AGO WE DONT REMEMBER. BMW was so broke after the WWII they couldnt even build a car for quite some time. Compared to most car companies Hyundai is still in its early stages of development. We wont arrive to where Hyundai is supposed to be until 2030 or even later.

We arent BMW or Merc, but the COMPANY goal is to make that happen, but its going to take a long **** time to get there. I think that's quite ok, its not like the world is going to completely end forever in 2012 you know.

Many people have forgotten the crap **** cars Toyota made from the 50s to the mid 70s. They will forget aout Hyundai too, and when we're old guys it will be just a insignificant little historical fact that Hyundai went from making cheap **** cars, to making cheap good cars, to going upmarket, etc.... Our kids will laugh at us for even bringing up the Idea that there was a time when Hyundai=**** or Hyundai=Cheap.

Those Accents are like what Benz made in the 30s and earlier. It took them until after WWII to be seen as this fancy company in the eyes of people. At the speed that tech moves it could take Hyundai to 2030 before peopel truly see Hyundai as a true Luxury Marque. They have an objective to one day "Build the best Luxury cars on Earth" which came stragiht from CEO Chung Mong Koos mouth last year.

Did you know that in the Sonata the only other car that has pistons designed like Sonata is a Ferrari F430? ENGINEERING, that's how they are going to do it. They are now embarking on that engineering cred thats needed to grow into a Merc like company.

Hyundai is ran by Engineers now, and they know what they are doing. That 1.6 Gamma GDi is probably the most advanced B-segment engine on the planet, yet its a simple design.

Maybe thats the reason why Hyundai was Daimler's FIRST stop to get a small car engine partner. They knew about the 1 .6 Gamma a long time ago, and they wanted it in their A class. Hyundai was going to get screwed in the deal, so rightfully so Hyundai said **** no.

Then they went to FIAT, and they said no.

Renault-Nissan was Benz's last choice and for many good reasons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When US spec Accent comes out you're going to see exactly why Diamler chose us first, and how far we are ahead of the pack now.

You're going to get tired of hearing about this car, trust me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your introducing pointless facts of reliability to help your argument? I never mentioned anything about reliability -- consumers who have that much money to fork out on a huge mercedes don't NORMALLY give a dåmn because they lease them for such short periods anyway. Sadly when you get into those high dollar ranges its just about status. Hyundai can have whatever engine or pistons they please but it will take time [and lots of it] to gain the iconic status of some of the large luxury / exotic brands.

Everytime I have to reply and say the same things over and over. There is no speaking someone who is this ignorant and obsessed with ONLY one brand. If you want to believe Hyundai will displace Mercedes or even Aston Martin for that matter then fine.

In your world someone looking for a Bentley should purchase the Genesis instead, and someone looking for a Mercedes is apparently looking for the reliability of the Accent. I just don't get your thinking. Thank you for the many laughs!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Who said anything about reliability? I just said that there was a time when BMW and Benz were not prime time products either. They got over it and the people did too, and so will Hyundai. Thats my point.

Euro trash, Kraut Cars. Humm...., kind of like Ricers and Kimchi cars today.

The other point I was trying to make, that it doesnt matter about reliability on those cars today, and it wont for Hyundai Either in the future.

Technological and Corporate advancements these days make 20 years of progress occur in 10. Its a shame the people's attitudes take a much longer time to change; including yours. In the past it took 20 years for some car makers to make the progress Hyundai made from Accent X3 to Accent MC. It took Hyundai less than 10 years to do that.

I wouldnt be shocked at anything Hyundai tries anymore, and you shouldnt be either!!!

Hyundai has arrived to the point to where they can build whatever they want, and do whatever they want, and not be limited by technological know how or small size.

The First Fruits are just starting to come out of the tree. A tree that's now mature enough to grow fruit. In 1986 Hyundai was just a seedilng.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
QUOTE (Accent Planet @ Apr 27 2010, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317481
Its a shame the people's attitudes take a much longer time to change
I have to hear so much Hyundai trashing it's pathetic, especially from the Japanese car fanboys.  I've looked on Hyundai's web site, but I can't seem to find the Excel on there - yet these people still insist that's what Hyundai builds.  That is Hyundai's only problem and it's a difficult one to shake.  I've watched closely as Hyundai progressed over the last 10+ years - the stigma is slowly fading but sadly is still there.

But in a way, it makes me feel good to have a Hyundai since I kinda feel like I know something these other people don't...  They're great cars for a good price built by a company that honestly cares about self-improvement.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Accent Planet @ Apr 27 2010, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317481
Hyundai has arrived to the point to where they can build whatever they want, and do whatever they want, and not be limited by technological know how or small size.
This is true and they seem to have done this by themselves without relying much on alliances (the world engine comes to mind shared by chrysler, mitsu and hyundai but it's just a base design).

QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 27 2010, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317484
They're great cars for a good price built by a company that honestly cares about self-improvement.
This is also true. There are companies out there like Chrysler, Toyota and lately, Honda that don't seem to care about self-improvement. They build cars that sell and that's it. Chrysler, Ford and GM relied too much on their past and it bit them in the **** after a few decades of mediocre cars. Ford is bouncing back big time and GM is coming up as well. Toyota designs are getting worse every day and Honda isn't doing so good in that area either. Neither of them has anything remotely sporty to offer nowadays. I hate the fact that VW puts a premium price on everything they sell even though their reliability is sub-par, **** german engineering.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Consumer Reports is a worthless magazine that panders its reviews to the highest bidders. I see no other reason for them to have the hard on they do for Honda because the cars themselves certainly aren't worth the ridiculous amount of drooling they do over them. They crossed the line for me when I was seeing them do a comparison between all subcompacts where the fully loaded Honda Fit came in first, and the base model Fit came in second. The rest of the competition? Base models only. Excuse me? You put one fully loaded car in your review circle and then compared it to everyone else's base models? Plus they throw in arbitrary comments in like 'ABS was rare to find on this vehicle' regarding the Accent. Uh. Every time I drive by a Hyundai dealership, there are a bunch of SE/Sport models on the lot. Maybe the lot they walked on to had sold them all or something, but it's certainly not a rare feature.

Hack reviewers that do little to no research and push their biases off on their readers. Use the magazine for kindling and you'll get more use out of it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
cant have ESC without ABS.
In the US, I dont think Hyundai will ever surpass BMW Mercedes or Audi or....<European brands ad nauseum>....
Hyundai can attack all they want on the mechanics of a car, reliability, gas mileage, horse power... etc. but they will never be able to beat euro brands on marketing and imaging. Theres alot more there culturally under the surface for why I think that will never happen.
You could take it all the way back to colonialism using India and China as examples

1 - 20 of 31 Posts