Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed in this recent Midwest heat wave (90f+, heat index 100+) that my Elantra's A/C is awesome. Literally best I've ever had in ANY car. Blows cold within literally 3min of starting the car, and I'm never blowing more than 1/3 to 1/2 on the fan to keep the car cool even in direct summer sun. And yesterday got stuck in a late afternoon 'stop-n-go' traffic jam. Full sun. 97F on the thermometer. A/C still blowing cold & engine temp gauge never even rose to 1/2 mark.

Also- running the A/C has not notably affected my gas mileage on my daily commute (22mi one-way, 2/3 hwy 1/3 city with some short trips mixed in). Multiple tank refills consistently 37-38mpg (actual gas in vs miles driven). In same driving conditions my old '10 Altima 2.5L's summer (A/C on) MPG would drop ~10%.

Thumbs up to those Hundai engineers for a great A/C system :smile:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree! I like that they went with a variable displacement compressor. There isn't vibration or muggy lapses at idle that come with the on/off cycling of a traditional compressor.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I too am a big fan of hyundais use of the variable and over sized compressors in their AC systems. One of the reasons I had upgraded from my last car was that the old one had a weak A/C system. this car does not disappoint.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
CFC's were never proven to hurt the ozone layer, but even at this only 4% was used for refrigeration, the other 96% was used for cleaning, checking ocean currents, and spray cans. Could have made a law to only use CFC's for its intended purpose and to recycle it.

But DuPont came out with R-134A, an HFC, has a patent, expired now so those in charge, made R-134a law. Now saying R-134a is causing global warming. Spray cans switched to propane for the propellant, screw safety, now have a blow torch.

For MVAC, R-12 was using mineral oil that repelled moisture, R-134a has to use PAG oil, basically a women's facial cream, moisture changes it to a paste, no amount of vacuuming will switch it back to a liquid, so should be flushed out first. Specific heat of R-134a is much higher than R12, good in that less of it can be used, bad in that a parallel flow condenser has to be used. R-12 got buy with a single very robust tube with fins, and a stone hitting it would just mess up the fins, have fin combs for this. But with parallel flow, a stone chip would wreck the condenser, also cannot be flushed, its a throwaway part.

Another problem with R-134a, its pressure increases exponentially with temperature, R12 is linear. You have to keep your condenser clean, pressures can rise to 400 psi that really puts a strain on the single drive belt system, water pump is usually the first thing to go leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Did you know your AC system in our Elantra's are only warrantied for one year! Can't blame Hyundai for this, is the law. My name for the condenser is a bug collector.

With any MVAC system, before parking it at night, should switch off the compressor, nice, a switch for this and run your blower motor for at least 3 minutes to dry off the moisture on the evaporator, if you don't, will have mold buildup not only stinks, but restricts air flow.

R-12 used a Scharder valve, just like on your tires, but not the same, uses a different rubber compound. Nothing to do with safety, some things the OEM's pushed is using quick coupler instead. had a large diaphragm that never seats correctly, just don't play with it, and if it does leak, not a 50 cent Scharder valve that can be replace without even discharging the system , with R-134a, the entire line has to be replaced, some vehicles, as high as 400 bucks!

Variable displacement is nice, in the Hyundai. its electronically controlled. Really does not do very much for cooling at 70*F because not much is needed, but sure blows ice cold air at 110*F. Also the compressor runs all the time, use to switch these things on and off, wrecking the electrical clutch and causing the compressor to accelerate from zero to around 4,000 rpm in an instant.

Is a nice system, but you must keep your condenser clean, your evaporator dry, and also some means to keep stones from hitting the condenser so it will last a long time. Also avoid cold weather operation, that PAG gets stiff, and will wear out the compressor seal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I put 155K miles on my last Elantra. A 2007 model. I never did anything special with the AC unit. I never had any issues with it during the eleven years. No need to recharge, no odors, etc. So I have no plans to do anything special with my 2018 Elantra either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have noticed that the A/C is really good also and noticed that the cars with dual climate zone are even colder, must be because they even put a bigger compressor in there.

·
22,793 Posts
I’m just gonna say, “what they said.” It’s 109F here, today. My A/C continues to be my best friend!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use eco mode almost all the time and even in that mode the AC works very well. It doesn't get as cold as normal or sport, but for me that's not an issue since I rarely have it on the lowest temp setting.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
I use eco mode almost all the time and even in that mode the AC works very well. It doesn't get as cold as normal or sport, but for me that's not an issue since I rarely have it on the lowest temp setting.

According to the Owner's manual, "When the Drive Mode is set to ECO mode, the engine and transmission control logic are changed to maximize fuel efficiency."

Eco mode should not have any effect on the working of the air conditioner, just the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
176 Posts
According to the Owner's manual, "When the Drive Mode is set to ECO mode, the engine and transmission control logic are changed to maximize fuel efficiency."

Eco mode should not have any effect on the working of the air conditioner, just the engine and transmission.
Yes. . That is what I saw in the manual. But upon further research I found info that it affects the compressor. Which validated my real world results.

The air will get much colder when in sport or standard mode than when in eco mode. Which makes sense because it is impossible to maximize fuel economy when the ac is on unless something is done to lessen its impact on the four cylinder engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Too bad I've spent most of the summer obsessing and complaining about other issues, but yes... I too am very impressed with the A/C. Is so good that I've hardly noticed the outside temperature was in the upper 90's some days.

And really like the dual zone temperature control (or whatever it's called).

When my wife tells me she needs the A/C turned up, I just turn up her side and leave mine alone.

Don't know if it really works, but she's happy and I'm happy. :smile:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The air will get much colder when in sport or standard mode than when in eco mode. Which makes sense because it is impossible to maximize fuel economy when the ac is on unless something is done to lessen its impact on the four cylinder engine.

I second your comment here. I was reading this post a few weeks ago, and thought to myself that I didn't feel I was experiencing the super cool that everyone else was. I drive in ECO mode all the time. Therefore I turned off ECO and noticed better cooling. So there must be a relationship here.

·
22,793 Posts
HVAC engineer at Hyundai deserves a hug! I keep a thermometer in mine. Check the vent output. I have seen 37F jumping thru those vents. Has a pronounced effect on the missus. And I like the effect! >:D:smile:

·
22,793 Posts
Rode in wife’s new Tucson Ultimate tonite. I thought she was past “the change.” Sheesh, I was freezing my you-know-what’s off! Someone give that HVAC engineer the Pulitzer Prize for Refrigeration Excellence. Man it was cold! :frozen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts