Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up ordering the two new seals and cover. My guess is Hyundai very aware of issue on these engines. It looks like they tried to make seals of newer better material.....So my cost on parts ending up being $46 for cover, $46 on one seal, and $30 something on other seal. Total with shipping came to $122 hyundai parts com......will have them early next week, have my mechanic do since I don't have engine lift to hold engine up with engine mount disconnected, will save several hundred vs most places and save probably $700 over dealership repairs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up ordering the two new seals and cover. My guess is Hyundai very aware of issue on these engines. It looks like they tried to make seals of newer better material.....So my cost on parts ending up being $46 for cover, $46 on one seal, and $30 something on other seal. Total with shipping came to $122 hyundai parts com......will have them early next week, have my mechanic do since I don't have engine lift to hold engine up with engine mount disconnected, will save several hundred vs most places and save probably $700 over dealership repairs.
Was able to order the three parts online as suggested by others from their work papers. I installed parts myself, took about 36 minutes to do. I bought a 1000lb engine support and lift bar for $79. The parts ran $46, $43, and $30 required to replace the cover on the camshaft sensor with new one, plus two new caps. The part which I found blown out was size of a dime and about twice as thick as a dime. This is one of the caps which cost me about $30 online. I take it they changed few things with the new parts in design a bit, I hope they did anyways. The key tool which sped things up was having the 1000lb engine bar. I hooked up bar to support engine weight on the left side of engine. Removed the overflow for radiator with two bolts, left passenger side engine mount after engine was properly supported and rubber bushing, this gave me access to all the bolts one needs to remove to get the bracket out of way to access the camshaft cover bolts. In all I would guess I had to remove about 10 to 12 bolts ranging in size from 8mm up to 14mm to access and remove the cover. I found the inside seal(cap) had been blown out, and there was about quarter cup of oil inside of the camshaft cover housing. Put in new parts, reconnected battery negative terminal and car has been running great since. Total time for this job for me was 36 minutes with cost for parts ordered online at approximately $120 with shipping. I also had cost of purchasing the 1000lb engine support bar at $79 from one of my favorite local supply shops. Good tool to have I can see this tool is needed if you work on the sonata regularly to gain access to the passenger side of engine. I could have jacked engine from underneath but that would take longer, and I wanted to pick up the engine support bar to have in my tool kit. Total time for repair for me was 36 minutes start to finish, inside cap was blown out.....................Thanks all for the information. I am not a professional mechanic, have worked on cars, ships, boilers for much of my lifetime, and 36 minutes was great number for completing job. I would consider this job intermediate skills required at best. Easily completed in less than hour by decent mechanic if you have the engine support bar in your tool list.
I also have a 2016 Sonata. Can you give me the noun name for the parts that fix this problem. I have having a hard time identify what parts I need.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also have a 2016 Sonata. Can you give me the noun name for the parts that fix this problem. I have having a hard time identify what parts I need.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi:
Besides Part 24360-2GGD0: Engine Variable timing VVT solenoid Cap and also Part 24351-2GGGA1-PLUG,

What is the other seal you mention above? The outer circular seal on the cover plate itself ?

The VVT solenoid cap comes with the o ring attached and then the other separate part, the inner Plug.

* Having same problem: Check Engine Light: OBD II Code P00100 due to extremely bitter cold weather, and now unable to get parts.
The plug is the big problem: Every-where I called its on BACK ORDER.

Thanks for any help with this.
Chuck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Parts finally came in from dealership to my local mechanic today!

Repair being done tomorrow and the new plug is BLACK.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the plug.

Repair finished today : Total Cost for Parts and Labor: $246.95 COMPLETE.

There was oil in the cap well and the plug had been blown completely out was also laying in the well
It was BROWN and was a very hard composition compared to the new more pliable BLACK plug.

* FYI: *Price from dealership was quoted at $404.00 plus Diagnostics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last week my 2016 Sonata Sport with 115,000 miles shot off a P0010 intake camshaft position actuator Circuit / (bank1) code. I reset with computer and it came back shortly later.

Bought new intake camshaft position sensor and went to replace it, real pain where located. It is on right side of engine. Requires removal of air intake scoop(3 Philips screws hold in place and snap fits onto front of car), Also requires remove emission purge valve and two sets of tubing for them, pulls straight off up off metal bracket. Air filter intake hose assembly loosen up the clamp on it and remove attached tubing and remove whole piece out of way. You must remove bracket for the emission purge valve 12mm bolt holds in place. Finally remove 10mm intake sensor bolt. Even after all this stuff cleared, getting to 10 mm bolt was tough, they leave almost zero clearance. Small set of hands helps.

I removed the old intake position sensor cleaned best I could the well where sensor sits...lubricated new sensor o-ring and installed. Put everything back together.

I reset and cleared code after sensor change out. The P0010 code came back in. SO now I need to move on to more troubleshooting steps.

My thoughts are the CVVT(Continuous Variable Valve Timing) oil control valve(OCV) should be next area I look at cleaning control valve or replacing???

The P0010 has come in hundreds of times over past week. On two occasion I did get the P0011 code also with the P0010, but it cleared and only came in two of 100 times. The P0011 for reference is Intake Camshaft Position Timing, Over advanced(Bank1), I assume that it depends on when the code pops pertaining to what part of the RPM band it happens at........so I am sticking to the original P0010 code still being active.............Thoughts and help appreciated greatly!

This is first real mechanical issue for this car for me.................in life of ownership of car.
We changed sensors and car still won’t start. Coder is still showing p0010 & p0011. We found the parts for those codes and replaced those sensors. The codes are saying permanent. Do we need to try and erase those codes so it will start? No clue how to do that. This coder won’t erase them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We changed sensors and car still won’t start. Coder is still showing p0010 & p0011. We found the parts for those codes and replaced those sensors. The codes are saying permanent. Do we need to try and erase those codes so it will start? No clue how to do that. This coder won’t erase them.
Did you ever find a solution? I replaced the cover assembly, seal and plug on my 2015 Hyundai Sonata, and it still hasn't taken care of the problem. My cover did not have oil in it, however. Seem to have worked for everyone else, so not sure what could be causing the P0010 code.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts