Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last week my 2016 Sonata Sport with 115,000 miles shot off a P0010 intake camshaft position actuator Circuit / (bank1) code. I reset with computer and it came back shortly later.

Bought new intake camshaft position sensor and went to replace it, real pain where located. It is on right side of engine. Requires removal of air intake scoop(3 Philips screws hold in place and snap fits onto front of car), Also requires remove emission purge valve and two sets of tubing for them, pulls straight off up off metal bracket. Air filter intake hose assembly loosen up the clamp on it and remove attached tubing and remove whole piece out of way. You must remove bracket for the emission purge valve 12mm bolt holds in place. Finally remove 10mm intake sensor bolt. Even after all this stuff cleared, getting to 10 mm bolt was tough, they leave almost zero clearance. Small set of hands helps.

I removed the old intake position sensor cleaned best I could the well where sensor sits...lubricated new sensor o-ring and installed. Put everything back together.

I reset and cleared code after sensor change out. The P0010 code came back in. SO now I need to move on to more troubleshooting steps.

My thoughts are the CVVT(Continuous Variable Valve Timing) oil control valve(OCV) should be next area I look at cleaning control valve or replacing???

The P0010 has come in hundreds of times over past week. On two occasion I did get the P0011 code also with the P0010, but it cleared and only came in two of 100 times. The P0011 for reference is Intake Camshaft Position Timing, Over advanced(Bank1), I assume that it depends on when the code pops pertaining to what part of the RPM band it happens at........so I am sticking to the original P0010 code still being active.............Thoughts and help appreciated greatly!

This is first real mechanical issue for this car for me.................in life of ownership of car.
I know this is old news but just to share, my 2016 Sonata 2.4 had P0010 fault code and engine idle was up at 1200 rpm, once the engine was re-started it went down to 800 but if you accelerate it wouldn't come back down. After reading these posts I took off the cam cover on the passenger side and sure was happy to see that plug was out of the shaft. Living in Canada we had a cold night or two so far this winter and I guess the oil pressure popped it out. $265 in parts from the dealer and about an hour of labour on my part, problem solved. One thing I didn't see in the repair process was that a Hyundai mechanic told me he puts a very thin layer of gasket silicone on the outer diameter of the seal to give it a better hold, so I did that, here's hoping I get another 110000 KM's . Thanks for the help from all of you. I was a auto mechanic in 1978 but went to aviation so coming back in retirement is a new ball game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This newly posted video may help you out with this problem.

Well done video, I believe this should be a recall but I'm not holding my breath. I did however come accross a tip to improve the replacement, a thin film of gasket silicone on the outer diameter of the plug will help with the retention. If there is oil pressure behind this plug it doesn't have any feature except friction to hold it, the plug may shrink over time and pop out, as mine did. I measured the old against the new and had .010" difference, not sure if there was a change to the manufacturing of it or just shrinkage. Something to consider. Thanks for the video, big help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts