Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE
brought SF 2007 to dealer yesterday, took them 5 minutes for them to tell me that this is a common problem on 2nd generation SF
they will replace next week 2 sensors, from what I understand 1 is in the tank the other is for the engine light, hence 2 sensors 1 problem, i would tell everyone who is coming close to there end guarantee of 100k, make sure the gas gauge is 100%, otherwise expect to pay 3-4hrs labor and 2 sensors, luckily i have 55k's,
ciao

Hi Having 55k on my 2007 Santa Fe, and having brought it in 1 month ago for that 46k check up, this is my problem since.
It started with an erratic gas gauge last Friday ,my tank said empty knowing i still had 1/4 tank, so l filled it up, 30 minutes later light goes on seems no gas in it, 30 seconds later check engine goes on, the Fe is running fine though, i called the dealer and made an appointment for next week, he said as long as car runs fine I can drive it.
any1 else seen this problem

Update, engine light goes off when fuel indicates 3/4 full, but erratic gas gauge seems to fluctuate, will respond again when dealer looks at the problem, was hoping some1 experienced this before
ciao

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I know the first-gen models have a 'saddlebag' style gas tank that requires two floats and senders that the computer averages out to provide a fuel level reading. If one of these sensors fails, the gauge won't go to full and will read completely empty with as much as a full tank. It's possible that you're experiencing a similar problem although I don't know how the 2G fuel tank is set up. When you take your car in, they'll be able to scan the check engine light and see what code has tripped it.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yup - the CM models have the same "saddle bag" lashup that requires two sensors for the "halves" of the tank, so a bad mismatch will set a code. #15 in the illustration below:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Apr 23 2010, 06:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316117
Yup - the CM models have the same "saddle bag" lashup that requires two sensors for the "halves" of the tank, so a bad mismatch will set a code. #15 in the illustration below:
Wow... two fuel sensors! My camper has a saddle-type water tank over the axle, and equalization is accomplished by simply connecting the two halves with an 18" piece of garden hose running under the axle. I guess Hyundai has a few tricks to learn yet :laughing:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Apr 23 2010, 07:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316179
Wow... two fuel sensors! My camper has a saddle-type water tank over the axle, and equalization is accomplished by simply connecting the two halves with an 18" piece of garden hose running under the axle. I guess Hyundai has a few tricks to learn yet :laughing:
To the contrary -- all of that "clear" space you have between the pavement and the bottom of your SF is there by design! I look at the undercarriage on a lot of other "similar" vehicles and just scratch my head.

To be fair, the two sides are connected on the Santa Fe, too, but equilibration doesn't occur immediately when the vehicle "tilts".

At least this beast has access to the fuel pump and pressure regulator from under the 2nd row seats -- you don't have to drop the tank. My old LHS had the same thing in the trunk. My 300M requires a tank drop to accomplish the job.

FWIW, and we never did hear about the specific codes from this guy, here's what can show up. Of some interest, I don't see a code for a substantial mismatch between the output of the two sensors.

"Checking fuel level change under detecting condition, if the fuel level difference between current and previous is lower than 3.5% while odometer difference between present and previous is higher than 200km, PCM sets P0451. MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp) turns on when the malfunction lasts till consecutive 2 driving cycle." [Indicates a sticky float, a lousy connection, or a bad sensor -- or you're doing midair refueling, or you've got a big hole in your gas tank :w00t: ].
"Checking output signals of fuel level sensor under detecting condition, if the fuel level voltage is low than 0.2V, PCM sets P0462. MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp) turns on when the malfunction lasts till consecutive 2 driving cycle." [Happens if you get an open connection or a short to ground, or if the sensor is shot.]
"Checking output signals of fuel level sensor under detecting condition, if the fuel level voltage is high than 10.8V PCM sets P0463. MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp) turns on when the malfunction lasts till consecutive 2 driving cycle." [Happens if you get an open connection or a short to +12, or if the sensor is shot.]
"Checking output signals from FLS under detecting condition, if Difference between previous and current Fuel Level Signal is high than 10% , PCM sets P0464. MIL(Malfunction Indication Lamp) turns on when the malfunction lasts till consecutive 2 driving cycle." [Could be a connection problem, but probably a sticky float].

Those below are just the same stuff for the other sensor/float:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: Dealer repaired it under warranty.

Hi Segal1,
Just wondering if your problem was resolved and what had to be done to resolve it.

I bought a 2007 Sante Fe a few weeks ago from a dealership and have gotten both the codes (P0436 and P2068) the first and second time I filled the tank. The second time the gauge would not indicate higher than 3/4 full after the fill up.

Today I tried again at fill up, getting both codes... but the gauge dropped to Empty with the low fuel warning light staying on.

I've taken it to the dealer to have it looked at.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a check engine light on so i bought a code reader, and then took it to Hyundai. My code was P0464 fuel sensor a circuit intermittent. Hyundai ordered the part to fix under warranty. i only have 450km left till warranty is up so i am glad it is getting fixed now lol.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem in last 2 fill-ups. Fill up the tank but the fuel gauge shows only half full ( or half empty, depending on your mood :grin: ). Just scheduled a visit to the dealer. I will post the outcome soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So they replaced the 1 sensor on mine, but then i went and filled up and my gas gauge only went to 3/4 full even though it was full. Called them back and told them, got it booked in and they had to replace the passenger side sensor and i filled up today after i got it back and so far it is good. They are keeping the work order open for a little while for me to drive it and fill it a few times to make sure everything is good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
QUOTE (QuickShotSims @ Jul 18 2010, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342763
I had a check engine light on so i bought a code reader, and then took it to Hyundai. My code was P0464 fuel sensor a circuit intermittent. Hyundai ordered the part to fix under warranty. i only have 450km left till warranty is up so i am glad it is getting fixed now lol.
ok, they fixed it under warranty. It is working fine now. :gitara:

I did use an additive to the fuel a few tanks back, one of those products to clean the injectors you buy at walmart. :innocent:
I noticed a small improvement in mpg, actually hard to confirm. I had 18.6 mpg mainly city vs 18.1 mpg before the additive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe limited, Just made the final payment when the cel comes on; Checked code it was P0464 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Intermittent . I turned off the light and filled up the tank. No light until I was down to less than a quarter tank. Now I turn the cel off but everytime I get below a quarter tank the cel comes back on. Would this repair be covered if I have 79K miles on my car? How did the car know it was all paid for. hmmm strange. :liebe011:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (deagea @ May 19 2011, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=448234
Would this repair be covered if I have 79K miles on my car? How did the car know it was all paid for. hmmm strange. :liebe011:
That one's too late for a warranty job, but certainly isn't uncommon for a 2007. Lots of them have have fuel level sending units replaced. It's one of the half dozen or so weak spots on that model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem on mine at 52k. Had just bought it used 7 days before at a non-Hyundai dealer. The dealer I bought it from covered it under their 30-day warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same problem with my 07.

Any idea what this will cost to fix cause, I am the second owner of the car and it has 80k on it.

I know it will probably be pretty expensive....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas gauge and check engine check

Same problem here. 2007 Santa Fe original owner 59,000. on the clock. Was told by my local dealer 2 sensors need replacing at a cost of $350.00. If feel this is a warrantee issue but the service guy said NO.

Any one here have a solid answer. One poster Angelo had his fixed under warrantee with 79,000. on the clock.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Problem is common, but not covered beyond the usual 5 year / 60K mi warranty, and you'd be beyond the 5 year part with an '07, yes? Only the good will of the dealer will get this replaced for free.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It's covered on the 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper. The 10 year/100,000 mile is for powertrain only. He may have bought an extended warranty or he bought it used and it was still covered under the used car warranty. I just missed it by 2,000 miles, had 62,000. But it is actually pretty easy if you have the correct tool and an impact wrench. Another hint is not to pull the units out completely, tilt them on their sides and replace the floats so you don't spill any gas. Did it for less than $150, and the OTC 6599 Fuel Pump Tool is only $45 on Amazon. Do a search, there are tons of postings and tips on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not mine, but a friends 07 SF Limited has this same issue. Is there a parts list to know what to replace and a how-to?

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay guys, I'm new around here but really need some help. I just replaced both sending units last week in my o7 Santa Fe, with brand new units from the dealership. Now, fuel gauge won't go too far above half, and I get a p 2068 sensor b circuit high code. I know from doing a lot of research on here, that sensor b is the one on the right side, and it went in super easy. I didn't have any problems with it. I'm guessing there's a problem with the wiring harness? Is there any Hyundai techs on here that have dealt with this problem before? O, by the way I disconnected the battery for a little while, and cleared the codes with my Matco proscan scanner already. Have filled the tank also a couple of times already, I figured maybe they just needed to equalize or something? Any help for the new guy would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 48 Posts