Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even I am having suspension problem. I have Equus 2011 model . In winter , when temperature drops , my car height becomes very low and it does not come up. I get ECS symbol on dashboard.
Sometime , its rear and sometimes its front .
I really don't know what's the issue causing it.
Anyone having same issue or any fix for it ?
I have 2011 as well with the same issue. 3 weeks ago it hit 20F and I got ECS fault and suspension would not rise. Dealer replaced compressor relay. It appeared fixed but weather was much warmer. Yesterday morning it hit 19 F and same problem. I got it to the dealer yesterday afternoon but, it had warmed up to 36F; so issue was gone. Dealer says no system leaks and that it is most likely the compressor. $1,500 for the part and $400 to install with no guarantee that it fixes the intermittent problem. I love the car and am not ready to sell but, I can't afford to throw $2k at an issue that may or may not fix it. Not sure what I am going to do. Keep me posted on your issue and good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go online (e.g. ebay) and buy a compressor. They have at least 3 listed for under $500.00. Find a good local mechanic to install. An Equus is just a car; a competent mechanic can do any mechanical repair. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced the air suspension with strutmasters kit and I'm very happy with it - ride is more like sport mode with very little body roll considering the weight of the car. The only issue was the rear sat much too low after install (but still drove great). Their tech support was excellent. First they determined that the thick rubber upper isolator rings that sit at the top of the rear springs were missing, so they sent them. That helped but the rear was still about an inch too low, so they sent me another pair of thick rings that I installed at the bottom of the rear springs (replacing very thin lower isolator rings that came with the kit originally). Now the car sits almost perfectly level, with correct wheel gap front and rear). Strutmasters even refunded me $120usd to compensate for the extra mechanic work required.

I now plan to sell my bags and compressor as cores to rebuildmastertech.com (which was my 2nd choice for restoring my original suspension).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking at 2013 Equus, 80000km/50000miles.
Wondered how many people have had to replace/repair air suspension parts, as I believe they are very expensive.
Thanks ,
Cliff
I am new to the forum and wanted to chime in. I have a 2012 Equus with 114K miles. Last summer (2019) the front air suspension died. It was repaired under extended warranty. 2 weeks ago the rear suspension failed. I took it to the dealer under an extended warranty. The warranty company did not want to use the dealer's parts so they had them shipped in from California. After they replaced both of the suspensions the system failed again after 4 days. Back in the shop the Dealership, Part supplier and warranty company bickered about the labor costs to remove and replace the suspension that went bad. I got the car back and it was fine for 4 days. then Saturday night it went out again with a sound like a gunshot and rapid air escape. Back in the shop tomorrow morning.
I joined the forum because I would like to keep the car after the extended warranty runs out and see a need to do something completely different. I may want to go to a third party Air suspension or coil conversion. I have not decided. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the rear suspension air bags on my 94k 2011 Equus. Was having intermittent "sagging" of the rear end. Sometimes it would hold air for a week or more, and sometime only hours. I bought Chinese-made bags off ebay for $385 delivered and spent $140 at my local indy to install. Solved the problem. Still loving the car. My buddy with a 2010 Lexus LS says my car is much quieter and smoother than his. I much prefer the Lexus' seats, tho. I even prefer my son's 2004 Camry seats for comfort.

Please send me or call me @ [email protected] or 801-680-1338 the purchase order or informtation of your Chinese supplier. Thanks Joe Scovel

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi all. im new here. so ... sagging suspension right? looks like a bag issue... smells like its weather based.... i believe its the pump. the air pump thats tucked away in the front bumper...

its a piston run unit with an electric motor and and piston rings. it literally runs like your fridge. so what happens after 90000 miles worth of pumping up 2 tonnes worth of Asia? well either the ring fails, the motor fails the seals fail or the bearings fail. before you run to a mechanic to get new shocks for $3000, consider taking your front bumper off, paying $350 on amazon for 2 day delivery then replace the pump first. its pretty easy and there are only 2 connectors. a weak pump will not fully raise the car. the air path prioritizes rear wheels first as per comfort programming so it will ALWAYS sag front first. If in mid drive, it will sag the rear first for controllability of the front wheels.

PS: did you know that in the hood on the left side of the engine bay right behind the headlight there is an intake air nozzle marked 'Air Suspension'? guess what its for...... yup... adding air to the suspension in emergency situations....
Take the plastics off. There is a nozzle there. u will see it.

ill try to make a video of this. As a bonus, you will get to see the location of the distronic cruise sensor. like i said, its not that hard

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few questions if you don't mind as I am considering this change.
  • Beyond replacing the 4 air shocks, what else needs to be done to change to the non-air suspension?
  • Do you just abandon the air compressor? Are there fuses to pull to disable it?
  • Is there any change in ride high compared to the standard air shock ride height?
  • How does the ride compare to the non-sport mode with air shocks? I imagine it may be a bit stiffer than standard which I'm fine with.
  • Are there any error lights that stay on?
  • Beyond losing sport mode on the suspension and ride height adjustment, any other drawbacks?
I have a 2011 Equus...After having. the car for a month , my front end dropped this winter and the dealership informed me that the repair could be $4000.00 or more, I found a conversion kit from Strutmaster all 4 shocks/stuts were $1000.00 had to wait about a month to receive the parts due to the company makes them from out sourced parts distributors.
My mechanic charged me $500.00 in labor to install with a four wheel alignment.
NOW FOR THE RIDE.
Upon installation I oberseved the front was higher and the rear sat lower then factory setting...After about ten days or so the front shocks settled and gave the car a two inch clearence over the front wheel/fender well.
I found strut spaces for the rear which when installed gave me a two inch clearence in the rear...Appears to sit lower then the stock factory ride height, but looks nice. The ride is a bit FIRMER then stock but is still nice , on the flip side the car:cool: handles GREAT....The company has not found a way to delete the ECS LIGHT on the dash...It will stay off for two to five minutes then come back on. The letters are so small that to me its not that distracting. The sport mode still works with transmission shift points and sport engine performance although you lose the shock setting. Also you cannot raise or lower the vehicle with that factory setting. Yes I miss the air ride but I was not ready to invest the $4000.00 and then who knows when the rear would have gone out how more more would I have to spend on that repair? I traded a fully loaded 2013 Cadillac XTS for the vehicle because , it truly is a beautiful vehicle. If I were to buy another Equus no matter what year or model, a extended warranty is a MUST. Also left all other factory air ride components in tack should I decide to go back to the air ride system..Unlikely....In Michigan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the strutmasters kit and had the same ride height problem. The rear springs come with thin rubber isolator pucks (donuts) to mount at the bottom and thick ones for the top. Call and tell them the rear sits too low and you want another pair of thick isolators to mount at the bottom as well. They did this for me free of charge and it evened out the height almost perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all. im new here. so ... sagging suspension right? looks like a bag issue... smells like its weather based.... i believe its the pump. the air pump thats tucked away in the front bumper...

its a piston run unit with an electric motor and and piston rings. it literally runs like your fridge. so what happens after 90000 miles worth of pumping up 2 tonnes worth of Asia? well either the ring fails, the motor fails the seals fail or the bearings fail. before you run to a mechanic to get new shocks for $3000, consider taking your front bumper off, paying $350 on amazon for 2 day delivery then replace the pump first. its pretty easy and there are only 2 connectors. a weak pump will not fully raise the car. the air path prioritizes rear wheels first as per comfort programming so it will ALWAYS sag front first. If in mid drive, it will sag the rear first for controllability of the front wheels.

PS: did you know that in the hood on the left side of the engine bay right behind the headlight there is an intake air nozzle marked 'Air Suspension'? guess what its for...... yup... adding air to the suspension in emergency situations....

ill try to make a video of this. As a bonus, you will get to see the location of the distronic cruise sensor. like i said, its not that hard
I found the intake air nozzle but am having trouble getting air from my compressor to push through. Is a special nozzle end required?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not that I've heard no. I'm looking for the exact size but really it's just a rubber infused plastic hose.

QUICK IMPORTANT TASK: before you rip everything apart on a mission to remove the compressor, do a soap water bottle on your airlines. You might be having a tiny air leak within the air lines. Right at each connector. So check the compressor connectors, air reserve tank connectors, distribution block connectors, splitters and hose connectors. It's nice to maybe discover that your air ride issues can be solved for $10 hose or $5 connector rather that $1500 worth of guesswork.

Oh... And if it is an air line leak, get a pipe cutter. It's like $3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To find a compressor is not hard. You can order it off of Amazon. But before you do, be ABSOLUTELY SURE it's the prob. It sucks to spend about $370 and maybe 5 hrs of worktime (if you are new to pulling it off the car) only to discover that that does not solve your issues. There are a lot of things to be pulled off and fluids to be lost to make this job easy. Unless she is an old girl, the compressor is the 2nd from last thing you will inspect for air failure. I implore you to go on YouTube and watch how to diagnose air suspension leaks first then copy that. Lucky for us most air ride suspensions are more or less the same concept so any video is a good video. If the problem still persists, then look into parts replacements

·
Registered
1 Posts

1. Hyundai Equus: Description and Operation - Air Suspension System - Suspension System - Hyundai Equus VI 2009-2020 Service Manual

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know but that's a good research point. Mostly what is hard is the software side. Hopefully the software being used is the same as for the previous gens

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the rear suspension air bags on my 94k 2011 Equus. Was having intermittent "sagging" of the rear end. Sometimes it would hold air for a week or more, and sometime only hours. I bought Chinese-made bags off ebay for $385 delivered and spent $140 at my local indy to install. Solved the problem. Still loving the car. My buddy with a 2010 Lexus LS says my car is much quieter and smoother than his. I much prefer the Lexus' seats, tho. I even prefer my son's 2004 Camry seats for comfort.
Im having suspension problems on my 2012 Equus and just had repairs last year for the front suspension costing me $4000, and now the rear suspension is dropped and i do not want to pay this again. I previously had trouble finding a mechanic with knowledge of the vehicle, I was wondering if you know any in the OC area of California?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts