Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a 2009 Elantra with a hair over 107 000 km. Recently I have been having an issue whee the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) has been randomly turn off while driving. This has occurred anywhere from once a week two twice in 10 min. It has happened immediately after starting the car or after driving for half an hour. There is no visible or audible sign when the EPS shuts off other than a small warning light on the instrument panel.

I am very worried about the safety risk this poses to me and the vehicles around me as when the EPS turns off the car is very difficult to steer, so I would like to get this fixed ASAP. Does anyone know what I should be looking at? Is this something I can fix myself (I'm not very car savy) or should I be taking it to a mechanic/dealership? Any idea on costs?

Cheers everyone, and thanks!
Theprincipal

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan EPS module for DTC..

There is a module update for DTC logic for 1 of the codes, if it offer up when searching as available upgrade, read ROM and update if it applicable

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dealer will plug in GDS and scan for Diagnostic Troble Code

·
Registered
2 Posts
iHAVE THE SAME PREOBLEM. EPS light came on 2009 elantra and the steering got stiff.Took the car to the dealer and they informed me that the electric motor andsteering colmun has failed and has to be replaced at a cost of $3000.00 plus.

Warranty is out by 3000km. Dealer Should have found thisproblem before the warranty ran out. Will contact Hyundai to see if they cancover some of the cost if not no mome Hyundai's for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took my Elantra Touring in for the recall last Tuesday. My car is still parked at the service department. The software update failed and now I am waiting for them to get a part. I was told the steering column needs to be replaced. I have no idea when this will be fixed. It seems that Hyundai does not have enough available parts. I am very dissatisfied with Hyundai customer service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts