Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone first post here.

I drive a 2006 Hyundai elantra GLS that has 82,000 miles on it. The only part that is a new replacement is the radiator and thermostat.

I have a viper remote starter/alarm installed on it for a couple years now.

Last night I started my car using the remote and it started up fine. Right after that my girlfriend insisted on taking her car instead so I got in my car and pressed the brake pedal to shut the engine off as to not waste gas.

Now today I got in my car to start it using key in ignition and it would not start. The battery is good I just had it tested last week and all the electronics turn on. So I know its not the battery. My girlfriend and I listened as I turned the key and to the best of our knowledge, we can hear that the fuel pump is working. We are not mechanics by any means. I don't know much about cars. With her doing loads of research online for her own car problems, shes teplaced a few parts in her car on her own, her brother being very handy, and her cousin being a mechanic, we have enough knowledge to know that the fuel pump is working.

So why is the engine not turning all the way? It sounds like its trying to. It doesn't make any clicking sounds or anything like that. Could it be starter? Spark plugs? Alternator? Either of which I don't know how to fix myself until I do extensive research. But I do not want to mess with things if I don't know exactly what I'm doing and what the problem is exactly. What do you guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
Most likely battery is a bit flat. Try disconnecting the earth lead from the battery and charge it up using a charger. Then clean the terminals and reconnect the battery. Then try again. It could just be poor connections either at the battery, with the earth to the chassis/engine or with the connection on the starter. So its charge battery, clean battery terminals; if that doesn't work, check the earth connections are good/clean those up, and finally clean starter connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely battery is a bit flat. Try disconnecting the earth lead from the battery and charge it up using a charger. Then clean the terminals and reconnect the battery. Then try again. It could just be poor connections either at the battery, with the earth to the chassis/engine or with the connection on the starter. So its charge battery, clean battery terminals; if that doesn't work, check the earth connections are good/clean those up, and finally clean starter connection.
Thank you I will try that. Now I have to go buy a charger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts