Hyundai Forums banner

Engine Warranty / Replacement

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  coastsideauto 
#1 ·
Just bought a used 2012 Veloster for our 16 year old son. It's a one owner 1.6 GDI with a 6 speed, and 240,000 miles. I know that's a lot, but the car was clean and ran well. We drove it about 200 miles and you guessed it, it threw the connecting rod and the engine is toast.
I've been reading about this Class Action Settlement in which Hyundai will replace these engines, but the dealer told me that the car is beyond the mileage allowed.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to how I can persuade Hyundai into helping out on this one. Needless to say my son is heartbroken over this and putting in a used engine will cost a ton unless we get some help from Hyundai. We live in Northern CA, the Bay Area.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

#3 ·
You are 90k miles past the extension cutoff (150k miles), so it's going to be hard to get them to help, being that you are not the original owner, and I'm betting you didn't get any maintenance records with the car.

#4 ·
John,

Thanks for responding. I agree it's going to be difficult, but it's worth a try. Do you happen to know a contact here in Nor Cal that I could reach out to directly and make my case? I would be okay with even a partial reimbursement on this. A similar thing happened with my BMW N63 engine and BMW paid for more than half to replace it.
If you know one of the regional people and have their phone number, I'd love to discuss it with them.

Best

Marc

#6 ·
John,

Thanks for responding. I agree it's going to be difficult, but it's worth a try. Do you happen to know a contact here in Nor Cal that I could reach out to directly and make my case? I would be okay with even a partial reimbursement on this. A similar thing happened with my BMW N63 engine and BMW paid for more than half to replace it.
If you know one of the regional people and have their phone number, I'd love to discuss it with them.

Best

Marc
Nope. If your dealer already submitted a PA request, and it's been declined, it's going to be hard to change their mind. If your dealer has not submitted one yet, I would have them do it. You never know.

#11 ·
Hate to sound like a horrible person. And to everyone is a different driver. But being a young boy leaner driver, giving him a high mileage turbo engined car was only come to one ending. Lesson learnt indeed. Grab the best second hand engine you can find to fit and hope that manages to last the distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.