Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2011 sonata se with the 2.4. It’s has started to make the tapping sound but the car is drivable. My mileage is around 157k. What should my course of action be? I know I’m past the 120k but was wondering what my chances are to get the engine replaced. I did the vin look up and my car was one of the affected cars. What exactly should I say when I go to the dealer? I would be dealing with Hagerstown Hyundai if anyone has experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
it drives me nuts that some prior owners don't go in for warranty work, then people like me and you get stuck with the problems.

I would take it in and explain that it's one of the affected vehicles. I've seen claims of getting coverage for Sonatas close to 200K miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it drives me nuts that some prior owners don't go in for warranty work, then people like me and you get stuck with the problems.

I would take it in and explain that it's one of the affected vehicles. I've seen claims of getting coverage for Sonatas close to 200K miles.
Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading. I hope and pray they cover it. I really like this car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm also just blown away by the mileages here. My car is a 2014 and was driven about 13,000 miles a year. Your car is closer to 18,000 a year. Some people here really drive their cars a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could have to do with car age or how it's driven, or varying amounts of shavings. I'm not a mechanic so this is all pure speculation.
Yeah I guess there’s a ton of variables that contribute to the failure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
short trips . long oil change intervals. will kill these 2.4 s . at least Hyundai is doing something, most other auto makers will not .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I am very pleased to hear that they are covering the engines I’m just worried I will get turned down because of my mileage. I am certain that’s what’s wrong with mine but I’m at 155k now. I love this car otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just bought a '12 Limited 2.0T last week with 200,000(!) on the clock. The car's more or less immaculate and has been treated well with regular services & oil changes (we need to find a new backup camera thanks to the fogging issue, but that's for another post), but it seems the engine recall includes our VIN and the car was apparently never taken to a dealer for this particular problem.

I'm going to take it in to have the clock spring looked at thanks to the airbag light coming on over the weekend. Is it worth mentioning the engine recall and keeping our fingers & toes crossed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We just bought a '12 Limited 2.0T last week with 200,000(!) on the clock. The car's more or less immaculate and has been treated well with regular services & oil changes (we need to find a new backup camera thanks to the fogging issue, but that's for another post), but it seems the engine recall includes our VIN and the car was apparently never taken to a dealer for this particular problem.

I'm going to take it in to have the clock spring looked at thanks to the airbag light coming on over the weekend. Is it worth mentioning the engine recall and keeping our fingers & toes crossed?
Good luck keep me posted on what you find out. I’ll do the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropped car off this morning at dealer. My car is at 157k and some change. They said it could cost anywhere from a hundred to 5 hundred dollars to test the car for recall. She said this was non refundable no matter what the outcome. They called me this evening to tell me the engine sized during sound test. They will now be tearing it down for pictures. Will update when I hear more. I’m a little worried

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Make a call to Hyundai to register this statement of the dealers...they need to be aware, as this is not what other dealers are doing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make a call to Hyundai to register this statement of the dealers...they need to be aware, as this is not what other dealers are doing.
Thanks we will see if they cover it due to recall and then I’ll call about the reimbursement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the call this morning they will be replacing the engine due to the recall. That’s a huge weight off my shoulders. I’m still unclear weather or not I will be paying for the tear down. I will be getting a free rental. Do you guys think I should press for not paying for the tear down?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Is there anything else I should have them do while this work is being done?

Just sit back and enjoy the new engine. I don't think you will be charged the teardown either. Believe me, there are worse companies than Hyundai when it comes to their warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts