Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hyundai Accent 1.4 2007. Today morning I started the car fine, but now in the evening the engine just turns and will not start.

Things I tried:
- another key
- disconnecting the battery
- checking connections to the spark plugs
- there is enough fuel
- serviced regularly

Any tips on what might be wrong? Being it an older car, want to try the stuff that is easy to do myself before calling a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Try this. Turn the key wait 20 sec turn off turn the key wait 20 sec and on the third time start. If it starts suspect the fuel pump valve inside the pump leaking causing pressure in the fuel rail to bleed out. This a free test. in evening try this test. If it starts suspect the check valve in fuel pump. After this test work on from here into other tests.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,313 Posts
Things to check:
- is the engine check light coming on when you turn the ignition on?
- is the immobilizer warning light coming on when you turn the ignition on? (disregard this if your in the USA)
- is there spark at the plugs?
- is the fuel pump switching on DURING CRANK?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips.

ikilledbarbie - tried, but still no effect
AUTOSPARK - all ok except the spark at the plugs. Not sure how to check that because I lack the special tool to remove the spark plugs (car is borrowed).
Red Raspberry - yes

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
You don't need to remove any spark plugs to check for spark. The guy in the video below shows you how to do it (skip ahead to about 2mins in). You don't even need the $5~10 tool he is using, but since you've never done it before you might be better to buy the proper tool. If you don't mind getting a little ZAP!, short length of regular insulated wire works just as well. Personally, I use my 12V test light for the purpose.

Maybe @ikilledbarbie has made a video on testing the ignition system specifically on the Accent?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The missing spark was the way to go. Although it wasn´t the problem, it gave me a lead to find it. The problem was in the fuse box with a loose connection to the ignition fuse. Checked the fuses at the start, but didn´t remove it so had no way of knowing there was something wrong, even though the fuse was ok.

Thanks to all for your time and advice.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Great to hear your mobile again. Thanks for posting back to confirm the fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts