Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on here but hopefully this will be some help for those that are having issues with their 2.7 v6 ticking.

My engine in my 2002 Santa Fe has been making a ticking sound that was especially pronounced when cold starting. It would quiet down somewhat when warmed up but still a slight ticking would be there. I thought it was the hydraulic lash adjusters. I know Hyundai's service site sates that a ticking can be heard if the factory filter is not used. I tried using the factory oil filter which did not make a difference. The car had about 85,000 miles on it and I always maintained it well as well as keeping up with oil changes. I took it to the dealer to have a repair performed related to corrosion of the rear trailing arms and had the tech check the engine noise. It was determined that the cam chains have developed slack and were slapping on the cam chain guides which helps prevent the cam chains from popping off in case of slack developing which was the case here. The chain guides are made of some type of plastic material and according to the tech showed significant wear. This was all covered under the powertrain warranty. For those that are not under warranty any longer and are capable of doing their own repairs this is the list of parts that was ordered by the dealer. The parts in red are the culprits. The rest are gaskets and seals. I don't think this is an easy job. They had it in the shop for 3 days but according to my paperwork it was 3.90 tech hours. Try taking this on at your own risk if you really know what you are doing otherwise take it to a mechanic that does. This list will make life easier. For others the ticking may be something else. This is what fixed it for me. Good Luck. I am curious how may owners are having this issue. Please post.

QTY--- Part Number--- Description
1--- 29215-37100--- Gasket- Surge Tank
2--- 24321-37100--- Chain- Timing
2--- 24431-37100--- Guide- Chain Lower
2--- 24432-37100--- Guide- Chain Upper

2--- 22441-37104--- Gasket- Rocker Cover
4--- 22442-23500--- Packing- Semi Circ
6--- 22443-23001--- Seal- Oil

If you go to hmaservice.com the diagram of the cam assembly is located SANTAFE(SM) >2002 > G 2.7 DOHC > Engine Mechanical System > Cylinder Head Assembly > Camshaft > Components and Components Location

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
thank you for the info

but is int too early for 05 to face such problems ?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good info and very interesting. That's the first I've heard of this and an excellent catch by your dealer service dept. Looks like they modified it a bit for the 2007+ 2.7L:

Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (jmalafis @ Dec 17 2009, 10:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=285288
This is my first post on here but hopefully this will be some help for those that are having issues with their 2.7 v6 ticking.

My engine in my 2002 Santa Fe has been making a ticking sound that was especially pronounced when cold starting. It would quiet down somewhat when warmed up but still a slight ticking would be there. I thought it was the hydraulic lash adjusters. I know Hyundai's service site sates that a ticking can be heard if the factory filter is not used. I tried using the factory oil filter which did not make a difference. The car had about 85,000 miles on it and I always maintained it well as well as keeping up with oil changes. I took it to the dealer to have a repair performed related to corrosion of the rear trailing arms and had the tech check the engine noise. It was determined that the cam chains have developed slack and were slapping on the cam chain guides which helps prevent the cam chains from popping off in case of slack developing which was the case here. The chain guides are made of some type of plastic material and according to the tech showed significant wear. This was all covered under the powertrain warranty. For those that are not under warranty any longer and are capable of doing their own repairs this is the list of parts that was ordered by the dealer. The parts in red are the culprits. The rest are gaskets and seals. I don't think this is an easy job. They had it in the shop for 3 days but according to my paperwork it was 3.90 tech hours. Try taking this on at your own risk if you really know what you are doing otherwise take it to a mechanic that does. This list will make life easier. For others the ticking may be something else. This is what fixed it for me. Good Luck. I am curious how may owners are having this issue. Please post.

QTY--- Part Number--- Description
1--- 29215-37100--- Gasket- Surge Tank
2--- 24321-37100--- Chain- Timing
2--- 24431-37100--- Guide- Chain Lower
2--- 24432-37100--- Guide- Chain Upper

2--- 22441-37104--- Gasket- Rocker Cover
4--- 22442-23500--- Packing- Semi Circ
6--- 22443-23001--- Seal- Oil

If you go to hmaservice.com the diagram of the cam assembly is located SANTAFE(SM) >2002 > G 2.7 DOHC > Engine Mechanical System > Cylinder Head Assembly > Camshaft > Components and Components Location
prob no help could be power stering fluid ours leaks some need to get it seen to when it gets low it makes ticking sound .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine had a very loud ticking/tapping noise. I had done regular oil changes on it (at the dealer) and babied the thing. It only had about 48k miles when it developed this noise. I was VERY close to opening it up and replacing the lash adjusters. I decided to add some MMO (marvels myster oil) to both the gas tank, and crank case. I used 93 octane fuel in the tank instead of 87. After the treatment, the car sounds GREAT! Very smooth! Especially after I switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic.

In your situation, if there is actually something mechanically wrong then additives will not repair it. However, I figured I would post my solution because it worked with mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 same problem

My Santa fe has been ticking since I got it in 2001! Have had it to dealer several times, even overnight. They said that they don't hear it. Now, in 2012 it is getting worse. Only 77000 miles on it. I will take your info to them and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Sonata EF 2.7 V6. And same ticking noise. I noticed a big play in the chains and one lower and one upper guide chain are missing. I found pieces of the plastic under the chain. Here is on old and new chain guide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts