Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since it is starting to become a bit colder at the time of the year, i have noticed something odd. I live in SoCal so i know it does not get as cold as compared to other parts of the country.

But for the last few days when i drive to work which is about 7-8 Miles my engine never gets to it's normal temperature (one bar before the half point)

The only time it does get to its normal is when i don't turn on the hot air or i leave the air off and have it on cold. I park my car outside and lately its been in the 40's to mid 40's in the morning. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen this problem before with their car. Last Oil change was in June~.

Any input on this?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Updated parts a couple year ago.. you blowing cold air through heat core helps keep coolant cold, so it slow to warm up..

Replace thermostat housing (new part) as it has a restrictor in heater hose fitting to slow the flow of coolant so it has chance to get hot before hitting heat core, and the thermostat been changed also , so you need the parts called out in TSB.

Thermostat
Gasket
Housing

·
Registered
920 Posts
Updated parts a couple year ago.. you blowing cold air through heat core helps keep coolant cold, so it slow to warm up..

Replace thermostat housing (new part) as it has a restrictor in heater hose fitting to slow the flow of coolant so it has chance to get hot before hitting heat core, and the thermostat been changed also , so you need the parts called out in TSB.

Thermostat
Gasket
Housing
My turbo stays 1 line under the halfway point. Is that normal or same as you stated for the TSB?

·
Registered
942 Posts
sbr, do you have a build date or VIN break for when the updated parts were implemented? I haven't observed this issue but we haven't gotten a lot of very cold weather here since I've had the car and I don't usually run the heat on full blast. I'd consider doing it as a simple preventive measure if my car is affected so hence my request.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
All I have per Hyundai Motor is 2011 with 2.4L

25630-2G720 Coolant fitting

25500-23010 Thermostat

25633-2G000 Gasket (with Inlet Fitting)

These numbers good at Kia dealer too if they closer than your Hyundai dealer

·
Registered
942 Posts
All I have per Hyundai Motor is 2011 with 2.4L

25630-2G720 Coolant fitting

25500-23010 Thermostat

25633-2G000 Gasket (with Inlet Fitting)

These numbers good at Kia dealer too if they closer than your Hyundai dealer
Yep I've seen that in the TSB. So you have no idea of what production range is affected?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yep I've seen that in the TSB. So you have no idea of what production range is affected?

Applicable Vehicles: 2011MY SONATA (YF) 2.4L, 2010MY SANTA FE (CM) 2.4L

Description: Some vehicles equipped with the 2.4L engine may exhibit a check engine light with DTC P0128 (coolant thermostat) under some driving conditions when the heater/defroster is used at maximum blower speed and high heat setting.

1128 is engine take too long to reach operating temp because we keep blowing cold air across heater core and keeping coolant cold..

·
Registered
920 Posts
They all stay one line below halfway. I guess that's where the dummy gauge is set to stay under normal conditions.
Thanks mike. Thats what I figured. I remember seeing it on a thread somewhere about that being normal. But I just wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything important.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called them to let them know the problem, Brining in my car next week. I will post what is going to get repaired.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
They all stay one line below halfway. I guess that's where the dummy gauge is set to stay under normal conditions.
Ditto here, but I have a 2.4L.

Thought changing the coolant might help (using Zerex G-05 now) but the temp remains the same.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Ditto here, but I have a 2.4L.

Thought changing the coolant might help (using Zerex G-05 now) but the temp remains the same.
Note that gauge is really just a dummy and not a true indicator of actual engine temp. It is programmed to stay at the midpoint (or one line below in sonatas case) as long as engine temp is within a specified range. Only when temp creeps out of that range will the gauge actually move.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 2012 2.4lt, at normal temperature stays 1 bar below the halfway point. In cold mornings, I have to drive 1 or 2 kms. before the temperature rises to the 2nd bar from the left. In order for you to get an accurate temperature, go get or borrow an OBD scanner. Plug that scanner to the OBD port, select the real time coolant temperature and drive the car. The temperature should hover below 180 degrees F or 82 celsius, regardless of that season you are in. If the thermostat is not functioning according to its set temperature settings, the car will take time to achieve its normal temperature, then the car should throw a CEL.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My Sonata with fan on high 4c out, heat at halfway point took 20 min to get up to temp @95kph on highway it went up then dropped a bar then after back up and stayed.
Last winter I had them fix this, on way home car lost all coolant from thermo housing and was towed to nearest dealer.
Since then the heat has be Shi!!! again...
These are the parts they used:

gasket :
256332g00
control as :
256002g500
thermostat:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2013 2.4L does the same thing since i bought it in July. Even on the last hottest days we had here in Indiana/Chicago, it always stayed one line before half point.

Its been in the 30's these last couple days in the morning, and driving to work it warms up quickly within the 1st mile. Heat it so hot I always have to regulate the temperature LOL.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
It is set to stay there under normal operating conditions. If it goes higher or stays lower, something is likely not right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agreed!. I kinda figured that after paying close attention to it all the time. That is normal!
After my last POS car overheating all the time, I have OCD looking at my temperature gauge all the time. HAHA!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Agreed!. I kinda figured that after paying close attention to it all the time. That is normal!
After my last POS car overheating all the time, I have OCD looking at my temperature gauge all the time. HAHA!
Keep looking but it's likely not to move ever once at operating temp!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts