Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road hen suddenly the engine died the oil light, engine light, and others came on. Can someone explain the extended warranty on the engine for a 2012 hyundai sonata limited. I would appreciate it.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I was driving down the road hen suddenly the engine died the oil light, engine light, and others came on. Can someone explain the extended warranty on the engine for a 2012 hyundai sonata limited. I would appreciate it.
You need to find out what actually happened to determine if it's covered. Is the warranty from Hyundia? If so, you'll want to call them. If not, call the place that sold you the warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take it to the nearest Hyundai dealership and let them deal with it.

Hyundai extended warranty is 10y/120k miles. However they do fix your engine even if its out of warranty

·
Registered
786 Posts
extended warranties are typically offered by dealers, right? and you need to:

1) determine what actually failed and the root cause for that in your car
2) read the paperwork that came with your car to determine if that's covered.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
If my memory serves me right, it’s 10 years 120K miles per the settlement agreement due to engine failures. I am sure SBR will chime in when he sees your post. He is our in-house expert.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys the engine nor the oil lights never ever came on except when the car died. There was also a very pungent stench of burn electrical smell.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Pull dipstick out and take a picture of the level, and post it here.

Neighbors engine just died on the road. Wiring was chewed up by rodents. Don't assume anything until you pop the hood.

If over 120k miles, Hyundai has been generous with 'goodwill' engine replacements concerning the class action lawsuit 132/162 recall.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Incorrect in my case. Well over 150k and they replaced. Probably depends on the dealer honestly.
Agree, depends on the dealer. What I meant to say was just because its over 120k doesn't mean we are SOL. We haven't heard of any below 150K being denied. And as sbr has said, there are people with way higher mileage getting their seized engines replaced, depending on the district PA.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Incorrect in my case. Well over 150k and they replaced. Probably depends on the dealer honestly.

Not up to dealer... their job is to submit PA Request and let Hyundai Motor make decision...

If Hyundai Motor decline, you may have to pay some shop rate for inspection so they can pay the technician for labor

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
When it comes to warranty, recalls or any repair that's 'covered' by the manufacturer everything goes through them. If you get something done for free it was approved by the manufacturer. I don't think there is any dealer that is going to replace an engine free of charge unless that job has been approved by the manufacturer. Period. Warranty repair for anything is done through the manufacturer. If there's enough problems they will issue either a recall (if it's a safety thing) or a TSB if it's a pattern failure. The recalls and TSB's are outlined as to what the dealer can do and what the will be reimbursed for that job. If during the repair they find anything that varies from the outline they will get hold of the manufacturer to either be approved or denied for the extra work and or parts. If denied the dealer will tell the customer that is their responsibility.

Dealers are about making money and are not in the habit of replacing engines for free.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.... the dealership submitted my request and I got approved for a new engine to my car,,!!! I am so relieved bc of all the stories I saw and read. The dealership even gave me a 2018 loaner sonata to ride till the meantime. The question is they will get a new engine but what about the other components such as the alternator, serpentine belt, and fuel pump? Should they not be replaced as well since they are also integral parts of the motor? Mind you I'm no mechanic but just posing a question.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Update.... the dealership submitted my request and I got approved for a new engine to my car,,!!! I am so relieved bc of all the stories I saw and read. The dealership even gave me a 2018 loaner sonata to ride till the meantime. The question is they will get a new engine but what about the other components such as the alternator, serpentine belt, and fuel pump? Should they not be replaced as well since they are also integral parts of the motor? Mind you I'm no mechanic but just posing a question.
How about new seats while they are in there?

·
Registered
163 Posts
... The question is they will get a new engine but what about the other components such as the alternator, serpentine belt, and fuel pump? Should they not be replaced as well since they are also integral parts of the motor?...

While those parts are attached to the engine, so is the whole car really. Typically, engine replacements do not include any of those parts. I wouldn't expect to get a new car out of this, unless you want to do the rest of it at your cost.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The question is they will get a new engine but what about the other components such as the alternator, serpentine belt, and fuel pump? Should they not be replaced as well since they are also integral parts of the motor? Mind you I'm no mechanic but just posing a question.

They are not the reason the motor failed which is an "internal" issue; so no.

You could probably strike a deal with the dealer to get a decent rate while the work is being done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys for your input as i stated im no mechanic so i was just mulling over points. In regards to the seats the leather is great so no I'm good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
since you said suddenly can you let us know if there were any signs beforehand? And what was the maintenance like on your car (type of oil, intervals, etc). Was your engine eating any oil before or anything like that, because mine does and I just hope I don't have my engine end up like yours. Any info you can provide helps the rest of us out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts