Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my friends 2007 sonata to put a starter on it but before I did the swap I checked to see if it needed it first.
At first I was thinking because the battery was dead when I got it that I would try a new one off the rack and it dimmed the lights to nothing and wouldn't crank. But then it did and actually started and made some God awful noise so I shut it down and tried to crank it one more time and noticed it would move a little but that was it.
Last thing I decided to try was put it on the hoist and get it to waist height then put a 7/8 socket on the crank with a 3/4 drive ratchet. Stuck tight enough my 220 pounds on a 2 foot ratchet handle only tightened the crank bolt and never spun the engine!
The owner said he didn't think it had gotten hot and its full of oil and antifreeze and he stopped at the store and then it wouldn't start when he came back out.
Its the smaller motor (8th digit is a C) There's several on the car-part web site around 1000.00 but I've found if they're that expensive used they usually are a problem motor. I mean I can get most other motors for half that on their web site. So I guess what I want to know is a 07 sonata worth the cost? 167,000 and the body is clean Thanks for your time. Joaa

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Maybe timing belt broke, pistons smacked the valves. If the rest of the engine was in good shape before (and if) this happened, might be easier to pull the head, replace the bent valves, and replace the timing belt.

If the engine is good otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay now I feel stooooopid. I took off the valve cover to see what was going on with the timing chain as I tried to turn it with the breaker bar set up. As I was trying I thought I should try turning it backwards and see how far ir might go. SURPRISE it just goes and goes but it squeals something terrible.
I tried turning it the other way and instantly locked up. ????? I took the serpentine belt off and it free spins. Today I'll be changing the A/C compressor. Used for about the same price as a clutch bearing.
Hey thanks for your input. Its nice to have a second opinion. Joaa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts