Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hai All,

I have purchased a second hand XG30 3 months backFirst month it was running very smoothly. Recently when I drive engine stopped automatically while driving 120KM / Hour, I managed to park the car on side. And I tried after 5 minutes engine started and no problems happened. Still I checked with Hyundai service centre they asked me to change the Airflow censor and also changed the Air filter housing (was broken), after a week the same problem came up. This time when the engine went off brake is also jammed while driving. What could be the problem? I have taken this to service center they couldn’t find out the problems. Can you please advice what could be the problem is? Is there is any defective in 99 model XG30?

Thanks & regards..........Edwin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by edwin742000@Dec 16 2004, 08:56 PM
Hai All,

I have purchased a second hand XG30 3 months backFirst month it was running very smoothly. Recently when I drive engine stopped automatically while driving 120KM / Hour, I managed to park the car on side. And I tried after 5 minutes engine started and no problems happened. Still I checked with Hyundai service centre they asked me to change the Airflow censor and also changed the Air filter housing (was broken), after a week the same problem came up. This time when the engine went off brake is also jammed while driving. What could be the problem? I have taken this to service center they couldn’t find out the problems. Can you please advice what could be the problem is? Is there is any defective in 99 model XG30?
Thanks & regards..........Edwin
[snapback]3724[/snapback]​

Could be a problem with the crank angle sensor. I have had two Grandeurs (one standard and one XG) and both have had problems with the crank angle sensor under warranty. Whilst driving or idling the motor would just go dead and either stay dead or start working again.

In some instances, I'd have to pull over and try restarting the engine. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't at all (requiring a tow to the service centre).

Both my Grandeurs were manufactured in 1999 but registered in 2000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by edwin742000@Dec 25 2004, 10:04 AM
Did you faced any problem like Fuel pump ? Injection failure in this Model?
[snapback]4041[/snapback]​

When I called out the roadside assistance to help me out they diagnosed the problem as potentially being a fuel pump problem but was later diagnosed by the Hyundai mechanics as a problem with the crank angle sensor.

With regards to injector failure I had a problem with the injectors in my standard Grandeur (the car would not fire cleanly when accelerating or cruising). However, this problem would not cause the engine to stop dead - it definitely sounds like the crank angle sensor is faulty.

BC

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
if it is the fuel system, the engine will act like you run out of gas, and not stop from one sec to the other. when the engine stalled, did the tachometer go straight to "0" ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by duke@Dec 26 2004, 07:31 AM
if it is the fuel system, the engine will act like you run out of gas, and not stop from one sec to the other. when the engine stalled, did the tachometer go straight to "0" ???
[snapback]4056[/snapback]​

Yes, it gone to "0" when the engine stalled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by duke@Dec 26 2004, 03:08 PM
sounds like a crank angle sensor problem to me, take the car to your HD-dealer.
[snapback]4062[/snapback]​

THANKS TO ALL, NO PROBLEM AFTER CHANGING THE CRANK ANGLE SENSOR :) , ALSO CHANGED THE TIMING BELT AND THE TENSIONERS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by edwin742000@Jan 15 2005, 10:42 PM
THANKS TO ALL, NO PROBLEM AFTER CHANGING THE CRANK ANGLE SENSOR  :) , ALSO CHANGED THE TIMING BELT AND THE TENSIONERS.
[snapback]4875[/snapback]​

Woohoo!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a scenario when one of the two throttle pedal position sensors failed. The car was cruising at 70 and then acted as if my foot was removed from the fuel pedal.

doing 8 mph on a off-ramp was a little scary. My husband was home at the time, and besides being an excellent mechanic, he can read like the wind.

Within 30 minutes he discovered ( in the hyundai service manual ) that during startup, if one of the two sensors for the pedal position was returning bogus values, it would ignore that sensor.

After following his directions, I was able to get back on the highway without issue, and get home. Hyundai replaced the failed sensor.

I'm very happy that the designers made the system failsafe rather than worse-case and perhaps putting the throttle at 100%

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yes in your case the car went into "limp-home-mode", and did not cut out totally. edwin's problem sound like an intermittent crank sensor problem. He should have it checked before the car let's him stranded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts