Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 2.7L 6 Speed Manual Special Edition
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Tibby v6 2.7L engine 6 speed manuel trans...
Recently changed out the timingbelt and water pump. Engine would not turn over. Replaced the starter motor. Now engine sounds 'click click click' is all the happens when I turn the key.
I'm stumped.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
Now engine sounds 'click click click' is all the happens when I turn the key. I'm stumped.
That's the sound you often get when there isn't enough energy in the battery to power the starter motor. I assume you have already checked the battery voltage?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery while you changed the timing belt?
Or is it an old battery?
Autospark could be right. Again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update....
Recently tried to rotated the engine manually, which was unsuccessful.
So, now my next move is going to be putting a camera down to have a look see.
The battery is new, and yes the battery was disconnected when I changed out the timingbelt and water pump.
Will update soon....
Thanks everyone that replied.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Recently tried to rotated the engine manually, which was unsuccessful.
Am I right in thinking that the engine hasn't been running since the belt was replaced?
I assume you did rotate the engine 2 turns and rechecked the timing marks after you tensioned the belt?
It would be odd for it to have turned over OK then but not now if it hasn't been started since the belt was fitted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autospark,
Thank you for your reply.
No the car has not been started since I changed the timingbelt. Also,I was not aware of turning the engine 2 times, however, i did check TDC after I released the tensioner pin. Cams were still on mark.
Is it possible the enigine is stuck somehow? The pistions, maybe?
Side note: i have yet to change the crankshaft position sensor. I order one, tho. And maybe it could be the reason?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the engine hasn't started since you did the timing belt I'd be pulling it back apart & rechecking the timing rather than throwing parts at it. It sounds very much like the engine is locked up from the timing being set incorrectly. If you're lucky you may not have bent valves but it is possible

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
You say you can't turn the engine. Is that in both directions? The reason I ask is if the valve timing is out and a piston is hitting a valve you might have not bent them with just the torque from the starter motor.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
i did check TDC after I released the tensioner pin. Cams were still on mark.
Well, they would be if the cams hadn't moved.

You weren't aware you should have rotated the crank, so I'm guessing you've done the job without a workshop manual to guide you? When you fit the belt your supposed to rotate the crank through two rotations, which will turn the cams through one rotation. If the belt had't been installed properly the timing marks won't realign. However, even with the belt one or two teeth out the engine should still be able to turn over. If it's incorrect timing that has locked the engine up one of the cams must be well out of position.

What I suggest is take the serpentine belt off to see if the engine is able to turn with that removed. If not do what @NZTib says, remove the timing covers and recheck the timing. If the timing marks are still aligned check that your water pump isn't binding.

Nlvew/meyeTibbie said:
Side note: i have yet to change the crankshaft position sensor. I order one, tho. And maybe it could be the reason?
A faulty crank position sensor wouldn't prevent the engine from rotating. If the engine is locked up that has to be a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for everyone's response.
UPDATE:
Serpentine belt is off along with the timing cover. Have not tried to turn the enigine over without Serpentine belt. However, timing is off. (Will include pic)
Now to realign the cams to TDC in a certain order?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Usually you put the crank in a midway position then line up the cam gears then rotate the crank till it lines up. This eliminates any chance of the pistons hitting the valves. One thing that looks odd is the location of the dowel and the white dot. On many (but not all) the dowel sits at 12 o'clock when the dots line up but obviously not on you engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts