Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I've been to 3 garages now and still have the issue with my i30, 2011, 1.6L Auto (petrol). If anyone in the forum could point in the right direction I'd be very grateful at this stage (it's doing my head in!)

Issue - Engine stalls after car has been idling for 10+minutes. ONLY stalls in Park or Neutral. Does not stall in Drive with foot on the brake. No issue when running cold. No codes are coming up. It has been taken in for diagnostic at 2 hyundai dealers now - both are staying no error codes are coming up when this happens. Car starts immediately after engine stall. Will stall again after a restart within 1 minute when in Drive or Neutral.

History - Car had originally a piston misfire issue. Lots done trying to resolve it including: new spark plugs, coils tested (are fine), throttle body clean, throttle reset, new fuel filter. In the end, changing the spark plug gap to 0.035 worked. The engine stall issue started before the gap was changed.

Given it's fine to idle at operating temp in D, but not in N or P, I'm pretty much sold on it being an electrics issue. The car has only done 33,000km...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,952 Posts
Engine stalls after car has been idling for 10+minutes. ONLY stalls in Park or Neutral.
Does not stall in Drive with foot on the brake
Car starts immediately after engine stall. Will stall again after a restart within 1 minute when in Drive or Neutral.
Does it stall when idling in Drive with the parking brake applied rather than the foot brake?
Just trying to figure out what input to the engine computer is different when it stalls to when it doesn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more testing

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
Just did some testing in my driveway. Started it again from cold and left it in Park. It lasted 8 minutes before stalling. Started up again after stalling no problem. Over the next 10 minutes it dipped in RPMs twice but has countered and idled for another 10 minutes before stalling.
Restarted it again. Left in Neutral and it stalled within 2 minutes. Restarted again, left in Neutral for another at least 10 minutes before it stalled. In both Park and Neutral the only consistency is the RPMs dropping and engine recovering - except for when it just can't recover.
During all this the air-con has not been on.
Did a final restart, put it in Drive with the footbrake on only. It ran fine for 15minutes. No stalling. Turned engine off at that point.

The car idles well otherwise. When driving it feels a little rough when i have my foot very light on the accelerator going down hill - but barely noticeable. I think that symptom is a hangover from the misfire issue this car has previously had.

Have come across a lot of things on engine stalling but nothing as specific as only stalling in Park and Neutral.
Would the MAF sensor cause this? From what I read it does make sense given there is no issue in P and N.
Another one that came up was the purge value and EVAP system. I really don't know enough about this one to tell whether it could be it though.

Appreciate your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts