Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for info for the better part of 3 days all over the internet, so flame me if you must for not searching.

tl:dr - no MIL, fuse is good, relay is good, no voltage at fuel pump, new fuel pump, still nothing, don't have specs or wiring diagrams, no clue where to follow the angry pixies to figure this out.

This is my wife's car. We were driving and it stalled for no reason. will not start back up. No codes. No fuel pressure. I'm at a complete loss on where to go for this. I'm trying to test circuits but... i can't find any wiring diagrams. I found a service manual but it has wiring for everything BUT the fuel pump and whatnot. I have no voltage at the fuel pump. During cranking tho, I noticed some uneven-ness, so, I'm thinking.... ****. maybe compression. I know there is that recall about a rod bearing, but my engine has not experienced any noise or other problems. No knocking.
tested compression anyway. 192-195psi across the board except 1... 170psi. the one hyundai spec i actually was able to find says 172psi minimum with no more than 15psi difference across all cylinders. out of spec. but it should still run with 3 good cylinders (albeit badly), and it wasn't knocking before, so I'm not even sure the recall even applies. Checked the oil, It looks pretty good on the stick, no metal flakes. I don't know what inspections the recall calls for, I can't find any service information related to what instructions they give to the technicians for it, so I don't really know what else to check. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership, cuz if it's not the engine recall, I don't want to have to pay someone for repairs I completely capable of doing myself, IF I COULD EVER FIND SOME PROPER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION.
I have no mods on this car. I haven't had to repair or replace anything except a battery and tires since we bought the car 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Well you know there is no voltage at the fuel pump
Assuming you know how to test for voltage at the fuel pump

So, go find the fuel pump relay
Don't say relay is good.
That doesn't mean anything
Check the socket to see if there is voltage
Check to determine control side and load side
If you don't know how then check youtube videos on how to check relays and circuits
If you know how to do a fuel pump relay bypass test then check to see if the fuel pump runs
If it does then control side issue
If it still doesn't run then load side issue

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
If it has a timing belt make sure that is turning when you crank. Otherwise maybe the crank sensor signal?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
I've been searching for info for the better part of 3 days all over the internet, so flame me if you must for not searching.

tl:dr - no MIL, fuse is good, relay is good, no voltage at fuel pump, new fuel pump, still nothing,

If there's no voltage at the pump.....WHY would you replace it rather than trace the circuit back?

don't have specs or wiring diagrams, no clue where to follow the angry pixies to figure this out.

This is my wife's car. We were driving and it stalled for no reason. will not start back up. No codes. No fuel pressure. I'm at a complete loss on where to go for this. I'm trying to test circuits but... i can't find any wiring diagrams. I found a service manual but it has wiring for everything BUT the fuel pump and whatnot. I have no voltage at the fuel pump. During cranking tho, I noticed some uneven-ness, so, I'm thinking.... ****. maybe compression. I know there is that recall about a rod bearing, but my engine has not experienced any noise or other problems. No knocking.
tested compression anyway. 192-195psi across the board except 1... 170psi. the one hyundai spec i actually was able to find says 172psi minimum with no more than 15psi difference across all cylinders. out of spec. but it should still run with 3 good cylinders (albeit badly), and it wasn't knocking before, so I'm not even sure the recall even applies. Checked the oil, It looks pretty good on the stick, no metal flakes. I don't know what inspections the recall calls for, I can't find any service information related to what instructions they give to the technicians for it, so I don't really know what else to check. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership, cuz if it's not the engine recall, I don't want to have to pay someone for repairs I completely capable of doing myself, IF I COULD EVER FIND SOME PROPER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION.
I have no mods on this car. I haven't had to repair or replace anything except a battery and tires since we bought the car 4 years ago.
How did you test the fuse and relay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to trace the circuit, but I have no idea what the circuit is. does the control side control any other relays? when the relay gets powered does it series through any other relays as well?
does anybody have any links to a wiring schematic?
i did the old horn relay switcharoo to make sure, no fuel pressure.
took both relays to my test bench to make sure contacts were closing when voltage applied to control side of relay.
I'll try to check into the timing. I got an RPM signal with my scanner so I assumed the ckp and cmp's were okay.
between work, the kid, and making sure my wife isn't lonely I don't have oodles of time to get into this, and my diagnosis at this point has been pretty hasty. Once i checked fuses and relay i just ordered a pump. I had better luck chasing down a wiring issue in my tahoe so my wife had a car to drive, mainly because there's actually loads of technical documentation for '02 Tahoes.
Maybe my haste is getting me to make a mistake somewhere, but lets not assume I'm some idiot that doesn't know how to check a fuse, and I won't assume some people are big keyboard warrior jackasses. Can we do that, please?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
How do you "check a fuse" ?? I use DVOM on each leg myself..

Check battery voltage while cranking,, has to be 10.5 or higher cranking to turn on engine control...

Remove negative cable from panel beside battery,, remove pait to bare steel, slap some lube, and reattach cable end

Random crank position,,,, as long as engine rotates via starter,,, watch tach while cranking,, if it dont move up, replace CKP.. not fun job either

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you "check a fuse" ?? I use DVOM on each leg myself..

Check battery voltage while cranking,, has to be 10.5 or higher cranking to turn on engine control...

Remove negative cable from panel beside battery,, remove pait to bare steel, slap some lube, and reattach cable end

Random crank position,,,, as long as engine rotates via starter,,, watch tach while cranking,, if it dont move up, replace CKP.. not fun job either
Thank you for some actual help. Battery voltage is a good 12.6v. I also quickly checked, it seems my hastiness is getting the best of me. the pump will turn on for a quick second when you first turn it on but it is not churning while the engine is cranking.
I'll re-check the crank and camshaft sensors. Like i said before, my scanner was reading an RPM during cranking so I didn't mess with them. time to check again. are there any other systems that prevent the fuel pump from choochin?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Thank you for some actual help. Battery voltage is a good 12.6v.
This voltage check is not valid. Like he said check it WHILE the engine is cranking and be sure it's at least 10.5 volts.

I also quickly checked, it seems my hastiness is getting the best of me. the pump will turn on for a quick second when you first turn it on but it is not churning while the engine is cranking.
How do you know that? Do you have a voltage meter on it while cranking? Pressure gauge?
I'll re-check the crank and camshaft sensors. Like i said before, my scanner was reading an RPM during cranking so I didn't mess with them. time to check again. are there any other systems that prevent the fuel pump from choochin?
Please describe how you are doing your tests so we can know whether they are done correctly.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts