Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting and not that handy with a car. With that said...

I've got a 2008 Accent SE at around 160,000 KM.

Recently the engine has started having these random sputters both while idle and while driving. I had gotten an error code for a Crank Position Sensor error which disappeared on it's own. I'm also getting a problem with my dashboard that causes the handbreak light to come on for a second, then it turns off and all the gauges drop for another second, and then everything comes back up again. This will happen randomly while I am driving the car. It seems to be worst in rain/high humidity.

I took my car in to the mechanics and he told me that my alternator was causing problems.

$500 bucks later I'm still in the same situation. It resolved nothing.

I changed my own crank position sensor to no change in behavior either.

The wires connecting my blower fan were apparently corroded causing the fan to stop this weekend, so I was hoping that might have been the cause of the electrical issues, but after separating the wires and isolating them with tape nothing changed.

Looking to try changing my sparkplugs next for the sputtering...but after that I'm out of cheap ideas...

I don't know if the two issues are related, sometimes you get a sputters on it's own, sometimes the dash reboots on it's own, sometimes they are at the same time, maybe because of the movement of the car causing a short somewhere...

·
Registered
390 Posts
along the line of "cheap ideas", check your ground wires

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
The main ground is under the battery. I would add a similar sized cable from there to the engine head. There is a nice bolt to use over the O2 connector bracket.

It could be a corroded cluster connector too.

Do all the dash lights go through the original key on routine when this happens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main ground is under the battery. I would add a similar sized cable from there to the engine head. There is a nice bolt to use over the O2 connector bracket.

It could be a corroded cluster connector too.

Do all the dash lights go through the original key on routine when this happens?
No, only the handbrake light comes on and then off when the gauges stop too. None of the other lights show up, though I think I may have seen the odometer flicker on and off a few times.. I'd like to get a video, but unfortunately since I can't predict it, I can't just drive with my phone in my hands recording until it happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The blower and the dash board has no real effect on each other
You need to buy an electrical cleaner
And start clean each fuse one buy one
And for the brake you have two connectors one at the resvoir and the other at the hand brake switch
Dont install anything unless the spray dried
And firstly remove battery cables

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
First time posting and not that handy with a car. With that said...

I've got a 2008 Accent SE at around 160,000 KM.

Recently the engine has started having these random sputters both while idle and while driving. I had gotten an error code for a Crank Position Sensor error which disappeared on it's own. I'm also getting a problem with my dashboard that causes the handbreak light to come on for a second, then it turns off and all the gauges drop for another second, and then everything comes back up again. This will happen randomly while I am driving the car. It seems to be worst in rain/high humidity.

I took my car in to the mechanics and he told me that my alternator was causing problems.

$500 bucks later I'm still in the same situation. It resolved nothing.

I changed my own crank position sensor to no change in behavior either.

The wires connecting my blower fan were apparently corroded causing the fan to stop this weekend, so I was hoping that might have been the cause of the electrical issues, but after separating the wires and isolating them with tape nothing changed.

Looking to try changing my sparkplugs next for the sputtering...but after that I'm out of cheap ideas...

I don't know if the two issues are related, sometimes you get a sputters on it's own, sometimes the dash reboots on it's own, sometimes they are at the same time, maybe because of the movement of the car causing a short somewhere...
Look for any grounds and clean and tighten them. Look under hood around the radiator, the body and frame.
Also look at the wiring around the battery area. Could be corrosion. Underneath the tray as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to me. The car would stutter and/or nearly stall then slam as if I was jump-starting it via popping the clutch--then the speedo and tach gauges would die. Sometimes they came back; sometimes they didn't. It lasted for about a month of this happening randomly before my crankshaft position sensor finally gave up the ghost. However, it was indeed my crankshaft position sensor. Since you replaced yours, I'm at a loss. I'd say throttle position sensor would be my next check, but that shouldn't affect your gauges the way you described.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts