Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Motor is now dead, I am past the 120K warranty I need to know if the motor can be removed from the top with a cherry picker or is the only way to do it thru the bottom?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You should take it to the dealer, they have been replacing them beyond 120K! What can it hurt?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tow to dealer, ask dealer to do "PA REQUEST" for replacement engine before you go goofing with it..... I take them out bottom with trans attached, though I remove lower bolts and torque converter bolts so I can simply remove top bolts and seperate

Got 1 out this afternoon, swap long block in morning, assemble exterior, and raise back into place

Son works at KIA dealer, I talked to 1 of the techs, he hoof it out top,, says he can have engine out in 45 minutes...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine blew up 2 weeks ago, dealer said if it’s obviously takin care of they will replace engine with 190k miles. But it’s when you don’t have any service records and there’s sludge packed in the engine they wont

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check tomorrow, I did the recall and it was not one of the engines, I will drop an endoscope in it to look for sludge, I only ran Mobil 1 mostly highway miles changed the oil every 6K miles

·
Registered
167 Posts
They are all affected engines. Not a batch thing as far as anyone knows. The recall just tells you if engine is bad yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know it sounds dumb, but clean out the car, wash it. Make it look like you really take care of it. Appearance goes along way I know if I was in charge of making decisions and somebody brought in their car that had so much brake dust on their front rims and it’s obvious They don’t give a crap about their car I wouldn’t pass it I’d say take it to a junkyard What if you tell me you absolutely love the car and it’s a shame that it had to happen they be sympathetic for you and try to help you out

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took it in they said they have to look at it to make sure that is seized then do the PA REQUEST Thanks sbr711 For that and see if Hyundai is going to cover it, when the ydo that they will then give me a loaner. So fingers crossed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, I should not buy my son a 2013 Sonata LTD with 99,000 miles? It is a one owner and has been siting on a lot for awhile, I suppose people are afraid of the engine failure issue? What is the link to check the vin? Thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tow to dealer, ask dealer to do "PA REQUEST" for replacement engine before you go goofing with it..... I take them out bottom with trans attached, though I remove lower bolts and torque converter bolts so I can simply remove top bolts and seperate

Got 1 out this afternoon, swap long block in morning, assemble exterior, and raise back into place

Son works at KIA dealer, I talked to 1 of the techs, he hoof it out top,, says he can have engine out in 45 minutes...

SO would you own ANY Hyundai, since you work on them? :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Reactions: grcauto

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Aren't you glad most people don't feel like that? You'd be working at Honda....:laugh:
I far as I recall...he is a Toyota worshiper (not a bad thing) and makes more money fixing Hyundai's.
I tell folks I have a "Poor man's Toyota" and can't afford the real thing!

But I do like my car...it is a nice ride! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
They are a nice looking and nice driving car with a nice interior but I don't have a lot of confidence in my girlfriend's 2013. Especially with how fast the oil goes black on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I far as I recall...he is a Toyota worshiper (not a bad thing) and makes more money fixing Hyundai's.
I tell folks I have a "Poor man's Toyota" and can't afford the real thing!

But I do like my car...it is a nice ride! :thumbsup:

I was Toyota from late 85 to mid 2002,, I still have my 89 Celica, fuel tank leaks bad, brake line popped last drive around block, along with P/S tube on rack' slave cylinder

19yr old son drives Ex' 93 Corolla 5 speeder

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
They are a nice looking and nice driving car with a nice interior but I don't have a lot of confidence in my girlfriend's 2013. Especially with how fast the oil goes black on it.
Nature of GDI,,, instructors at school refer to it as diesel with spark plugs,, fuel put into cyclinder on top of piston in similar fashion as diesel, and we use spark to light it off..

The super fine byproducts manage to get past rings to an extent and into oil

I suspect higher tension rings and regular oil change may slow it down

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Nature of GDI,,, instructors at school refer to it as diesel with spark plugs,, fuel put into cyclinder on top of piston in similar fashion as diesel, and we use spark to light it off..

The super fine byproducts manage to get past rings to an extent and into oil

I suspect higher tension rings and regular oil change may slow it down
Sounds like a better reason to use synthetic diesel motor oil? :nerd:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts