Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
My 2.2l diesel Santa Fe engine shuts off when put on gear. It turns on and idles normally in P or N, however, when switched to D or R the engine dies. I took it to the dealership but they are clueless about it. Since no error code is given, it has been harder to figure out what's going on. Any tips are highly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Original battery? Clean the connections? Ground connections.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Found this on another site-----An older car (1990's) but who knows:

"Yep! idle control valve is sticking or TPS is bad (throttle Position sensor).

I'll explain why. The Idle control valve is a tiny throttle body that the computer controls to add and drop air flow into the engine(it's the computers own little gas petal), if it's going bad and you put stress on the engine aka putting it in gear, the engine will bog down, but since the computer is having trouble giving it some air (from a sticking ICV(Idle control valve)) the engine will stall...

Now if the TPS is bad (throttle Position Sensor) the computer may think your actually giving the car some fuel/air and so it won't open the ICV, and the engine will stall...

Now another thing to take into consideration, is that both parts could be completely fine, it could very well be caused from a shorted wire that is connected to the two things I mentioned above, especially with the age of the car, as rubber becomes brittle with age.

As a last case result, it COULD be the EGR, but I highly doubt it... "

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Found this on another site-----An older car (1990's) but who knows:
The OP's car has a diesel engine. Diesel engines don't have a throttle valve, so they don't have a Throttle Position Sensor. And no throttle valve means there is no need for an idle control valve either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts