Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First post here and i just had a concern, wasnt sure if it was normal or not.

Recently purchased a 2014 GT with 18,000 miles (crazy low miles for the year), but when i turn the A/C knob to '3', there is a noticeable vibration in the car (steering wheel shakes, passenger notices as well), i was not sure if this is normal because when you put the AC on '3' it seems like it goes into overdrive as compared to the airflow from 1 and 2. I know there is no way the compressor is going out already, so just wanted to see if you guys had this as well.

Thank you and looking forward to the future with this car :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
All you did by going to "3" is increase speed of HVAC fan (same as fan in window of house)...

More fan = more electric use (current draw) that alternator need to make at slow engine idle (adding more load on engine)

If you notice this in "D",, place shifter in "N" to take load-drag from trans out of equation, see if it smooth up... and maybe "toe " the gas pedal to bring engine speed up maybe 50-200 rpm, and see if it smooth out..

What you likely feel is normal 4 cylinder idle character and feel the firing pulses with added load at slow engine speed.. about same effect as grabbing a lawn moer push handle at idle and feel the bumpy single cylinder Briggs & Straton,, then speed it up to cut grass and the fire pulse gap is shorter and feels smoother

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
On the 2.0L EGT, the engine should speed up a couple of hundred RPM when raising the fan speed from "2" to "3" or above. It is as SBR11 states above, the higher fan speed requires more current. At the lower engine rpm the additional current draw without speeding up the engine will cause a voltage drop from the alternator.

This was discussed about 18 months ago on one of the forums. You should see the tach jump ~200 to 250 rpm when switching between 2 and 3. Actually, pretty smart design. Gains maybe .002 MPG in fuel economy. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the detailed response, guess im just used to my tiburon and its low AC level, level 2 on the elantra feels like max on the tiburon haha

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've noticed on my girlfriends elantra that when you switch the fan to 3 or 4, not only is the interior fan speed obviously increasing, but it kicks the radiator fan from low to high as well. That's the fan that takes the most electricity. So your vibration could be due to the greatly increased electrical demand, or just the radiator fan itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts