Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Thanksgiving my wife and I drove our 2011 Sonata Hybrid (with 149K miles) from Maryland to Kentucky. On the way home on Sunday, about 200 miles from home, my wife was driving and the car lost all power. We pulled, turned the car off and restarted hoping to clear some computer malfunction. All warning lights came on. Let it sit for awhile and tried again, same result (I admit here that I am illiterate when it comes to auto mechanics). At that point we had the car towed to the nearest Hyundai dealer. The dealership was closed so we spent the night in a hotel and walked over to the dealership in the morning (fortunately it was next door). i was hoping for something like an alternator went out. The battery was completely dead so they tried putting in a new battery which didn’t help. They got it up on the rack and found that the engine had seized. My options were 1) junk the car and buy a new one, 2) wait for a new engine and $$$, or 3) they found a used short block with about 50K miles that they could get for about $3K and another $3K labor to put it in. We opted to go with door #3. We left the car there and rented a car to get us home. The short block came in this past Friday and they stared pulling the old engine out on Monday. I got a call this afternoon with some bad news that one of the electrical water pumps was disintegrated and would need to be replaced as well (at an additional $1100). I still had no choice as this was still cheaper than buying another car.

This evening I have been reviewing other posts on seized engines. I bought the car with 1100 miles on it so for all practical I have been the only owner. I have taken it to the dealer for all maintenance and service, and have all of the receipts. Whatever service was recommended, I always had done. So the car was very well maintained. i have been very satisfied both the car and my service with Hyundai. I love the car! I willing to bite the bullet on the repairs, but if there is a chance that Hyundai might refund some or all that would be great (after all it is Christmas and I have 14 grandchildren to shop for). My question for the forum is what is the best approach to reach out to Hyundai?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Did you discuss this with the dealership?
Show ownership papers and time frame?
Ask for the work to be done under warranty?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My concern would be the used motor being installed. How do you know that is not one of the affected engines and you won't be in the exact same situation in a year or two?

·
Registered
143 Posts
For $6K (or less) you could buy another car of the same year and value, but I understand that this is not your option and you like the vehicle.

All costs regarding engine replacement should have been covered by Hyundai: the motor failure should have been covered by recall.

As Mr. P stated, never put a used YF motor into your vehicle. I would, but not without changing the conrod and crank bearings, going through the oil pump and changing the piston rings, something that your dealer would never do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JBushman,

If that dealer already swapped the short block, I see a difficult battle ahead of you to get them to refund your money. With your out of town status, they might have been trying to take advantage of your unfortunate situation. However, this is assuming they willingly charged you for a covered engine recall. If your engine failed for some other reason, offering the used shortblock might have been legitimate.

But regardless, as someone else pointed out, I wouldn't go with a used short block that wasnt rebuilt by Hyundai as theres a chance of future failure.

At this point, try to get a clear diagnosis from that dealer first. Dont let on you know about the engine recall. Search this forum for "engine recall", you should get more information. Knowledge is power. Then, if it's a problem covered under the engine recall, demand they make it right and refund your money. Also, they need to confrm the shortblock was rebuilt or inspected for the engine recall issue.

I would also contact Hyundai USA about your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the replies and advice. The engine had never been replaced. I picked up my car on Friday. I asked the service tech if they had any idea what caused the engine to seize and he said there were no error codes, it just seized The short block came with a 6 month warranty. That’s not very long, but I am retiring in January and won’t be putting a lot of miles on it any more. I did not ask if the short block had been inspected for the recall. They put my parts back on the short block. I will reach out to Hyundai USA. I might also engage my dealer here in Maryland who I have established a good relationship with, have given them great reviews and recommendations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts