Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

Premium Member
Gallon!?! lol 馃槀馃槄
Gallons?..... maybe it's quarts?...lol. Maybe they just don't the difference.

I do know this!
I would bet that if the oil was checked regularly - changed more often and never allowed to be more than a quart low on the dipstick level, odds are their engines wouldn't be in this-type trouble. Really thou, there's no reason for an engine to be more than a half-quart low of oil. If that dipstick needs to be checked daily, then do it.

Us 'regularr-reader' members (on these many Kia / Hyundai messageboards) are constantly reading from neglectful vehicle owners that do either absolutely nothing - or very little engine maintenance. Then they place the blame on the engine and/or manufacturer, instead of themselves.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I meant quarts...lol.

As for maintenance, I'm very good about keeping up on mine. I always get my oil changes done around 3000-3500 miles and everything else is done under the severe category. Considering my 2016 has 158k on it and I have never had any issue until recently, I'm doing good. My last Hyundai went 250k before I sold it. So this isn't an issue of neglect. Also, why would you blame a bad engine on neglect when Hyundai/Kia has admitted fault? Obviously it was more than a few neglectful owners that made this go to such an extreme settlement.

Registered
The new engines are using aluminum bearing inserts in the connecting rod, and main bearings, and no sleeve cylinder walls, it seems less forgiving when things go wrong, the old steel / copper / babbit bearings seemed to be able to take more abuse, and the cylinder walls are like the old Chevy 4cyl Vega, it crapped out at 50,000 miles.
I don't think maintenance is the problem as much as people think, 10 years ago, you only needed to change your oil every 5000-7500 miles on Dino oil, and the car would last for 200K+ miles, my Saturn lasted 258,000 with normal oil, and oil changed approx 5000+ miles (oil life light would come on when time was up) I never had a problem with the drive train in that car. The trans oil and filter needed to changed every 30,000 miles, it was a spin on filter.

Reactions: Ryand313

Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
The new engines are using aluminum bearing inserts in the connecting rod, and main bearings, and no sleeve cylinder walls, it seems less forgiving when things go wrong, the old steel / copper / babbit bearings seemed to be able to take more abuse, and the cylinder walls are like the old Chevy 4cyl Vega, it crapped out at 50,000 miles.
I don't think maintenance is the problem as much as people think, 10 years ago, you only needed to change your oil every 5000-7500 miles on Dino oil, and the car would last for 200K+ miles, my Saturn lasted 258,000 with normal oil, and oil changed approx 5000+ miles (oil life light would come on when time was up) I never had a problem with the drive train in that car. The trans oil and filter needed to changed every 30,000 miles, it was a spin on filter.
How's the new engine on your sonata so far?

Registered
I've had no issues at all, I have about 3500 miles on the 2011, and 1500 miles in the 2012, there has been no oil or coolant loss.
They each had an oil change at 1000 miles.The 2011 I have pushed hard a couple of times recently, since it is broken in, and it has good power, 100mph+ is easily not an issue.

Premium Member
Changing the oil at 7.5k max - making sure the dipstick oil-mark falls more than a half-quart low - driving above 85MPH and using Sport Mode on the trans, is not ideal for long engine life on these Korean name-plate engines of four cylinders.

Using passing gear hammers (safely done) once in a while - to rid the exhaust of carbon buildup, is all the abuse these engines should be getting.

Registered
I'm SURE he doesn't burn that much! :eek:

Premium Member
My post has little to do with burning oil and most-everything to do with proper maintenance. But being you are Psychic also you should already know that.

I do believe it's time to put you On Ignore. Too much gibberish that I need-not read anymore.
Happy Holidays Darren.

Registered
Driving above 85MPH and using Sport Mode on the trans, is not ideal for long engine life on these Korean name-plate engines of four cylinders.

Using passing gear hammers (safely done) once in a while - to rid the exhaust of carbon buildup, is all the abuse these engines should be getting.
I'm a very conservative (read that "old man") driver, so yeah, I don't drive over 85, etc.
BUT...when an engine has a 6500rpm redline, you should be able to drive it to redline.
When it has a sport mode, you should be able to use sport mode without fear. It's shameful that you can't.

Registered
I do believe it's time to put you On Ignore. Too much gibberish that I need-not read anymore.
Happy Holidays Darren.
I will certainly shed a tear.

Registered
It鈥檚 self explanatory in the first bullet point. The vehicle must have the 953 service campaign KSDS update done. The lifetime warranty is only for connecting rod bearing failure. And according to Hyundai the KSDS is 100% accurate in detecting rod bearing failure. So if you have a failing rod bearing the P1326 code will be set in the ECM.
So what your saying is if I鈥檓 getting the p1326 code it鈥檚 not a faulty code it means I have a failing rod barring? I鈥檝e seen the rod barrings
On the engines and I wouldn鈥檛 be surprised if that鈥檚 it....actually that鈥檚 the only thing making sense currently

Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
So what your saying is if I鈥檓 getting the p1326 code it鈥檚 not a faulty code it means I have a failing rod barring? I鈥檝e seen the rod barrings
On the engines and I wouldn鈥檛 be surprised if that鈥檚 it....actually that鈥檚 the only thing making sense currently
Go to the dealer and get a new engine under the lifetime settlement agreement

Registered
I'm not conversant with respective wear/stability/life of the differing bearing materials to address any superiority, but I can attest to changing out aluminum bearings with 200,000 miles that looked fine with minimal wear.

Unfortunately the claim of no steel cylinder liners is not factual (at least up to model year 2015): attached find photo of lower block where the inserts are readily seen.

Attachments

Registered
I was pretty sure I read it somewhere, but I believe you since you have one in front of you. Have you tested it with a magnet?
Having the bearings in a GDI last 200,000 miles is amazing, considering the average is much less.
DiD you get your last car fixed under warranty / recall? I see the Canadian suit was just settled,

Registered
I got the p1326 code and my car was in limp mode. The code was coming up as glow relay short circuit but apparently that鈥檚 a generic code which really means knock sensor. I called the dealership and the guy instantly acknowledged the code as knock sensor. Made an appointment for them to check out the knock sensor and to see if they possibly needed to replace the motor. They ended up just doing something with the knock sensor. Don鈥檛 know if they recalibrated it or replaced the actual sensor but it was done under warranty just wanted to share

Registered
The knock sensor, as most know is used to detect engine detonation, and when detected, the ecu will pull timing.
The KSDS update uses the knock sensor to detect the sound of a rod knock, but there have been times that when
the cel comes on, P1326, and it's found to be a false code, but usually the engine is kaput..

Registered
I was pretty sure I read it somewhere, but I believe you since you have one in front of you. Have you tested it with a magnet?
Having the bearings in a GDI last 200,000 miles is amazing, considering the average is much less.
DiD you get your last car fixed under warranty / recall? I see the Canadian suit was just settled,
Yes, tested liner with a magnet and it is steel. The aluminum bearings I referred to were the main journal bearings, which seldom fail. They can become embedded with debris from the conrod bearings, score the main journal somewhat but still do not fail, though they would eventully but the conrod bearings go first.

Did not get the last vehicle motor replaced, Hyundai wanted more maintenance records than I had. I've been in touch with several owners here in Canada who suffered the same fate, bought a couple of cars from them. :)

Premium Member
Did not get the last vehicle motor replaced, Hyundai wanted more maintenance records than I had. I've been in touch with several owners here in Canada who suffered the same fate, bought a couple of cars from them. :)
What are the differing Maintenance Records that Hyundai requested - other than oil change receipts?

Registered
Hey guys I recently got my engine replaced because of excessive oil consumption. I noticed they put 5w20 in it instead of the recommended 5w30 im at 300 miles in and going another 300 before I do the first oil change. im going with 5w40. I just want to know for those who had their engine replaced if they also had their engines filled with 5w20? I have a 2015 2.0T, I know the 2.4L take 5w20.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 73 Posts