Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing the 2.4 from a 2001 Santa Fe, 2wd, manual tranny, does the transmission need to come out with the engine? It doesn't look like there is enough room to slide the engine over far enough to free it from the tranny.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You "may" want to consider taking it out as an assembly... the clutch assembly is "Dual-Mass" so you need a wee bit more room to move and seperate.

Hopefully you know how to seperate engine from trans with now issue.. then you will need to recover the release bearing from the pressure plate and re-install to trans for re-assembly to the engine, unless you planning to up and replace clutch assembly while apart..

Use the Hyundai 08950-00020 oil when refill M/T... it is a semi-synthetic GL-4 oil.... DO NOT USE GL-5 !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how to separate an engine from a transmission on most things. Never did a Hyundai before. Am I going to run into something off the wall I've never seen before?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (nitsuj @ Aug 14 2010, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349422
I know how to separate an engine from a transmission on most things. Never did a Hyundai before. Am I going to run into something off the wall I've never seen before?
Yep.... you need to unbolt release arm from shaft so the shaft fingers will rotate and release the release bearing from the fork as the transmission seperates from engine.

If you recycle the clutch assembly, you need to seperate the release bearing from the pressure plate,,, there is a snap ring to open up to free the release bearing,,, the re-assemble brg to fork and retract it fully into the trans case... install trans, then install arm to shaft, and move shaft so the brg snaps back into the pressure plate, dont forget to install the nut to hold lever to shaft.

I've had service facilities call and ask how to seperate trans from engine on many occassions, they have trans unbolted, but something is still holding it together....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Say it ain't so!!! My new (refurb) engine just arrived and I stopped and picked up a service manual on the way home from work. The manual says that on the Santa Fe the engine HAS to be removed from the bottom by detaching everything and raising the car off the entire engine-transmission-axle unit. Please tell me this is false. I don't have a lift so raising the car high enough to clear the engine would be problematic for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No one has ever pulled a Santa Fe engine? I'm going to try to remove it from the top. I'll report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts